Oily Skin Is Making...

Notifications
Clear all

Oily Skin Is Making Me Miserable 🙁

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 07/07/2012 2:32 pm

Accutane gave me amazing, oil free skin for 2 years, but now the oil is back again and I'm miserable. I feel like it gets in the way of everything. I constantly feel gross and uncomfortable, I always feel like I need to wash my face. Recently, I've wanted to start lifting weights, and I really enjoy it, but I have found that it almost doubles they oilyness of my skin. It's making me depressed because I want to exercise to make me feel better about myself, but it's just making things worse :( Is there any hope for us oily people? Do you think they'll find a cure soon? I would love to not have to deal with this anymore.

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 07/07/2012 4:09 pm

Just try to look on the bright side regarding the oily skin. 1) Don't have to buy moisturizer, 2) Won't have wrinkles and lines on your face at an early age. Other than that you just have to play with the cards you're dealt. I've struggled with the issue for 35 years. I think about all we can do is try to minimize it by our skin cleansers and diet. In the grand scheme of things, there are many people with way worse problems. Don't let oily skin or acne wreck your life:-)

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 07/07/2012 4:47 pm

Just try to look on the bright side regarding the oily skin. 1) Don't have to buy moisturizer...

What ON EARTH do you think that oily skin has to do with moisturizer??? shrug.gif

I've already talked about the experiment done by Kligman which showed that he had to apply TEN TIMES the normal amount of sebum to a person's skin, before it showed even a little moisture retention. Did you miss that post?? Bottom line: sebum is a totally INCONSEQUENTIAL "moisturizer".

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 07/07/2012 4:54 pm

Just try to look on the bright side regarding the oily skin. 1) Don't have to buy moisturizer...

What ON EARTH do you think that oily skin has to do with moisturizer??? shrug.gif

I've already talked about the experiment done by Kligman which showed that he had to apply TEN TIMES the normal amount of sebum to a person's skin, before it showed even a little moisture retention. Did you miss that post?? Bottom line: sebum is a totally INCONSEQUENTIAL "moisturizer".

In my experience, you're correct. My skin can be super oily, but still peeling and flakey. The excess oil doesn't really do anything to moisturize my skin. In fact, I think it may actually irritate it more.

Your posts always seem to be super knowledgeable on this topic. In your opinion, and from your research, do you see any hope for a cure in the future? And what methods do you believe appear to be most promising and realistic for the future? Have you heard of Dr. Rox Anderson's research on High Dose PDT? According to him, it permanently destroys sebaceous glands. However, I'm not sure how realistic of a claim that is.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 07/11/2012 12:48 am

Dry Skin

high/low Vit A, low omega EFAs, low DHEA, [low humidity, insufficient water intake, food / contact allergies] Remedy: Carrot,Cucumber, Celery Juice before breakfast and plain organic yogurt with meals

MemberMember
(@pchic)

Posted : 08/18/2012 10:53 am

I have very oily skin but it can still flake. I have dehydrated skin. I still think oily skin people need a moisturizer. When I use a wrong moisturizer, especially those that claim to be for oily skin, my skin becomes even oilier and drier. Which means i need a moisturizer that actually moisturizes.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 09/06/2012 12:07 am

My skin is soo OILY! Jojoba oil mixed with a light weight moisturizer made my skin way less oily. I ran out about two months ago and my gross super oily skin is back. Try it because it may work for you :)

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 09/06/2012 1:10 am

My skin is soo OILY! Jojoba oil mixed with a light weight moisturizer made my skin way less oily. I ran out about two months ago and my gross super oily skin is back. Try it because it may work for you smile.png

Worn during the day or at night?

MemberMember
(@charlottesumxs)

Posted : 09/06/2012 1:37 am

The acne.org regimen has made my lifetime oily skin go away! I sound like a sales rep, but I started on it about six months ago, at the age of 37. I've had oily skin since my teens and after I turned 35 it just got worse - oily but dehydrated.

I follow the basic regimen, cleanser-bp treatment-moisturiser, and am now only a bit oily just before I wash my face at night. I really pack on heaps of moisturiser before bed.

I used a lot of jojoba oil in the early stages of using bp, now I just use a drop or two under my eyes where I can get a little dry. I wish I'd had the regimen when I was 15.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 09/06/2012 2:10 am

My skin is soo OILY! Jojoba oil mixed with a light weight moisturizer made my skin way less oily. I ran out about two months ago and my gross super oily skin is back. Try it because it may work for you smile.png

Worn during the day or at night?

Morning and night. Mix 3 drops with your moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@happykitty)

Posted : 09/28/2012 6:54 pm

I really recommend lotion/moisturizer if you have oily skin! I've heard it said that the reason people's skins overproduce oil is because their skin is actually dry and the oil glands are then overcompensating for it. Try putting it on RIGHT after you wash or when your BZ dries (for regiman folks), before your skin has a chance to get shiny. It really worked for me.

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 09/28/2012 11:20 pm

I really recommend lotion/moisturizer if you have oily skin! I've heard it said that the reason people's skins overproduce oil is because their skin is actually dry and the oil glands are then overcompensating for it.

That's the most tired and over-worked theory that you hear about on this forum. It's been SOUNDLY disproved by medical professionals. What causes the skin to produce sebum in sebaceous glands are HORMONES, typically androgens and estrogens. Nothing in the human body causes them to "overcompensate" by producing more of it. Listen to what doctors and scientists say, not what other posters on acne.org say.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/15/2012 9:42 am

I don't think you should stop exercising just because it makes your oiliness worse, if lifting makes you feel better, then I think you should keep it up. Many people who exercise regularly have diminished symptoms of depression and a higher self-esteem.

Following a strict regimen can definitely help oily skin. I suggest you work out a routine for yourself that you will stick to, and it should include a moisturizer. I am lucky enough to be able to tolerate 10% BP and another bunch of harsh chemicals on my face that drastically reduced oil production, but I know that's not the case with most people. Nevertheless, I suggest you start with a good basic cleanser and 2.5% BP, and later on add an AHA or BHA in a lotion form.

MemberMember
(@piwitron)

Posted : 10/20/2012 1:21 am

As sad as it is, nothing really works but accutane, whatever makes you happy you should follow, if you can afford it of course. The capitalist threadmill yay..

Trying sticking to a low-dose accutane, and follow the drill, you know, lip balm, cream for those drying areas specially the hands that tend to get dry, and eye drops.

Or don't get into the regime, and just bloat dry your face and keep a strong attitude, cause if you think about it, there are really worse genetical conditions we could have acquired like sicke cell anemia and stuff.

:)

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 10/23/2012 12:31 am

treasure your oil skin...especially if you've eaten roaccutane. You are so lucky

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 10/23/2012 7:13 am

treasure your oil skin...especially if you've eaten roaccutane. You are so lucky

Pardon my French, but why *the fuck* would anybody treasure the thing that's such a pain in the ass to them? Honestly, what made you think it would be a good idea to post such an absolutely pointless comment on here? At least clarify where you're coming from..

What is it with people coming on internet forums and posting such meaningless drivel? Don't you realize there's people on here desperate for good, helpful information? It just annoys me so much that even on a specialized forum for oily skin, at least half of the posts made on here are completely useless.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 10/23/2012 11:53 am

Pardon my French, but why *the fuck* would anybody treasure the thing that's such a pain in the ass to them? Honestly, what made you think it would be a good idea to post such an absolutely pointless comment on here? At least clarify where you're coming from..

What is it with people coming on internet forums and posting such meaningless drivel? Don't you realize there's people on here desperate for good, helpful information? It just annoys me so much that even on a specialized forum for oily skin, at least half of the posts made on here are completely useless.

She probably just means that some people who take accutane are left with overly dry skin and they actually want some of their sebum back.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/23/2012 2:34 pm

She probably just means that some people who take accutane are left with overly dry skin and they actually want some of their sebum back.

Sebum doesn't moisturise, so her comment is still pretty useless...a) it doesn't answer the OP's question b) telling someone they should cherish their oily skin is just plain ridiculous.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 10/23/2012 3:34 pm

Sebum doesn't moisturise, so her comment is still pretty useless...a) it doesn't answer the OP's question b) telling someone they should cherish their oily skin is just plain ridiculous.

Exactly. This is a serious subject and people come to this forum for help. I, and I'm sure most on here, are absolutely fed up with reading nonsense. We want helpful comments.

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 10/23/2012 6:04 pm

Exactly. This is a serious subject and people come to this forum for help. I, and I'm sure most on here, are absolutely fed up with reading nonsense. We want helpful comments.

Well since you asked and took such offence at my comment I'll give you some insight and hope that you may have some constructive advice.

Roaccutane has destroyed my body's ability to hydrate & moisturize my skin. My sebacious glands do not ptoduce a drop of sebum. This is only a recent development in my list of side effects lasting the last 6 months. I am so envious to hear that otheres have regained oilyness & would give pardon my french *fucking anything* to have that back. Ive aged 10 years in the last 6 mnths and yeah you have no idea how lucky you are. Buy some blotting papers and be thankful.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 10/24/2012 9:37 am

Well since you asked and took such offence at my comment I'll give you some insight and hope that you may have some constructive advice.

Roaccutane has destroyed my body's ability to hydrate & moisturize my skin. My sebacious glands do not ptoduce a drop of sebum. This is only a recent development in my list of side effects lasting the last 6 months. I am so envious to hear that otheres have regained oilyness & would give pardon my french *fucking anything* to have that back. Ive aged 10 years in the last 6 mnths and yeah you have no idea how lucky you are. Buy some blotting papers and be thankful.

Indeed I have no idea of how lucky I am because I am not lucky at all. I have the oiliest skin known to mankind and it makes me feel like absolute shit. I feel miserable most of the time purely because of my oily skin. I try not to, but it's always fucking there isn't it and I can't exactly ignore it either, can I?

Now, I'm sad to hear of your side-effects. They sound horrible and I can imagine you feel terrible. And compared with you, I seem to have less to worry about and I do feel a bit silly sometimes when I think about how much worse things could be and the fact that there are a lot worse things out there than oily skin...

That being said, this is a special forum for oily skin. I come on here everyday to hopefully one day find that magic cure for oily skin that would help me live a happy life. What I don't need is people coming on here and saying "buy some blotting papers and be thankful". Where is that going to get me? In fact, where is that getting you? It's pointless. That may sound harsh but honestly, you wouldn't want me saying something along the lines of "Just buy some moisturizer and be greatful", would you? I've got my hopes up so many times and read so much absolute shit on websites and forums that I really do not need to read anymore pointless rubbish... I'd rather hear about possible cures.

I genuinely hope you get better and your side-effects disappear completely.

MemberMember
(@lallybelle)

Posted : 11/25/2012 12:20 pm

I have very oily skin that I can't stand, either. No cures here, just some possible coping methods that I have used:

1. Not my favorite, but powder works occasionally for me, but after awhile of using it (several weeks) will stop working. The "non-shiny" effect only lasts a couple of hours, then I have to apply more (not a great idea) or use the hell out of blotting papers.I'm noticing too that it might be breaking me out a little right now- that's a first in using powder for 30 years! it's a crap-shoot, too- finding out which powder works for you. Oh, and if you're a guy- I guess this won't apply (I didn't check to see before writing this reply- my bad.

2. Using a silicone- based anti-shine product. Has been known to break some people out (clogs pores I think but I'm not a doctor so IDK), and can be expensive. Neutrogena, Dr. Brandt, Smashbox make them. A more economical, if not a little embarrassing for some folks, is (don't laugh) Monistat Anti-chafing gel. Yes, it is in the feminine products section with the other Monistat products; but it is not as costly, a little goes a long way so it lasts a while, and hey- if it doesn't work, you can use it to keep new shoes from rubbing and blistering your feet. Or for it's intended use- to keep your thighs from chafing. Use a *small* amount on oily areas. Like the powder- it may have broken me out, but I still use it once in a while until it does. It seemed to work while I was on the Regimen- maybe because I was keeping the BP "sealed in"- as silicone is said to do.

3. Use a Milk of Magnesia mask. Google this one- I tried this but think I did it wrong and got fed up. But it does work for some.

4. Blotting papers, blotting papers, blotting papers! I swear by these and stash them everywhere- purse, car, work, bathroom...the only problem is that I have to wait till I am shiny to use them. And sometimes I have to use them quite a few times during the day. It is worth it to me though.

5. Acceptance- I will probably always have oily skin- I inherited it from my dad, who still has oily skin at age 75. Sigh.

Remember- this is only my experience, it may not work for everyone. That said, I am always on the quest for the greasy skin cure. As soon as I find it (or something that totally works for me)- this will be the first place I will post it!!!

MemberMember
(@rnic2)

Posted : 12/05/2012 3:33 pm

i use to suffer from oily skin, it's hereditary but i started using the Clinique mild bar and Clinique dramatic Difference Gel, now my face stays oil free for more time!.. now i just need to find a treatment that works on side of these to magnificent products.

MemberMember
(@cyberpile)

Posted : 12/05/2012 4:09 pm

Megadosing on vitamin A will dry out your skin. It might harm your liver, though.

MemberMember
(@cleaarly)

Posted : 02/13/2013 11:00 pm

I have really oily skin too and it's really taking a toll on me. My skin is not just oily but greasy. I have to blot every hour to look presentable. It's driving me crazy. I try hard to accept me for who I am (even my oily skin) but it seriously gets in the way of everything and affects every aspect of my life... I look in the mirror and all I see is an oily mess. This sucks.

Anyway, if you are male, try Saw Palmetto, it may help... I tried this a while back for a few days and it definitely made me less oily but also made my skin look orange/yellow, gave me white heads/little bumps on my skin, extremely cold feet, and a headache. Unfortunately I couldn't continue with these side effects.

Since then, I tried Spiro but it made me feel so bad, like I am hung over, and gave me a brain fog. Again, I had to stop. I'm trying out different birth control pills now but I doubt any of them will actually work.

By the way, I tried Milk of Magnesia last year and it actually made my skin even more oily. Mind you, I'm already oily - I look like someone greased my face with olive oil.