Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ions

Some Oceans Heal More Than Others.

Dear Skin Expert,

The only effective remedy that I have found for my acne was my December 2008 trip to Montego Bay Jamaica and swimming (1-3 hours/ day) in the ocean. In fact, I had such profound results from swimming in the Jamaican ocean that they seem almost miraculous. For example, my fungus infected toe nails fell off on their own accord after for 4 days! Only the healthy nail portion remained - it was astonishing. The dead skin on my feet was shedding off sort of like snake’s skin. I just looked at a photo close up of my face on that vacation and my face is nearly 100% clear, healthy and glowing.

My only other encounter with the ocean was my second vacation to Cuba in February 2011. Surprisingly, Cuba wasn’t nearly as therapeutic. My toe nails, which were infected again, didn’t see any improvement but I did see some improvement with my acne and skin tone. I don’t really understand why the Jamaican ocean was so much more therapeutic than the Cuban. My instinct tells me somehow the composition of the ocean waters were different. The Jamaican ocean had fish, sea urchins and coral but the Cuban didn’t have any life just sand. I find it fascinating how the Jamaican ocean was able to destroy the fungus nail so quickly and it’s an indication to me that the environment was complimentary to me.

I am considering going back to the exact same resort in Jamaica and duplicating the results.

I am not a skin expert, so I would be curious to know your explanation of why I had such excellent results with the Jamaican ocean as compared to the Cuban Ocean?

Also if you were me, and you had the Jamaican experience / knowledge that I just described above, how would you use it to help yourself?

Thanks

Please see my UPDATE post below. The post starts with UPDATE. I went back to Jamaica (nearly the identical location) to reproduce the results but I was not successful. The Ocean did make my skin look a lot healthier but it did not prevent new acne from forming and there was no effect on my nails.

Edited by ions

I don't know. They are very close together after all.

And i would soak my feet in epsom salts. And take epsom salt baths, if I liked to take baths, that is.

Edited by alternativista

As alternativista said, they're very close together, sharing the same ocean, I really doubt it has anything to do with that. But if you get fungal infections that often, it's time to have a look at your diet and lifestyle, for that's not normal. In addition to the epsom salt baths, you could have a look at ACV (or other vinegars), essential oils like tea tree, and make sure to have a look at your footwear.

Thanks for the recomendation Alternativista. I read the reviews on Epsom Salts and I will try it tomorrow.

I forgot to mention that I am a 34 year old male.

Although it's important to cure my toe nails, it's not my primary concern. My facial acne is my primary focus and then the toe nails.

I emphasized the toe nails in the story because it was so miracoulous to me and it was a clear sign that the environment was assisting my healing.

I know healthy eating is very important but that experience would suggest that the external environment which contacts your skin / nails is also vital.

My diet is much more healthier today than it was on that vacation and my facial acne and nails are much worse.

there is some credence to this. i live on the coast line (gulf coast) and every beach is different, mainly from anthropogenic effects. sewage run off etc. could produce terrible effects, however, you should be able to tell if there is sewage or PAH (oil and gas) runoff sometimes not though

A "healthy" diet is subjective, considering the amount of posts suggesting ridiculous diets. And you can't see your feet apart from the rest of your body. Clearly, something is wrong. I agree that the environment probably plays a role (there have been several posts about it, and there's also plenty of anecdotal evidence), but Jamaica and Cuba are pretty close together. Maybe your state of mind had some impact, too? I just got a post from another member about ASEA and MMS. I haven't really looked into them myself yet, but it looks interesting.

Going and visiting a beach and swimming in the ocean heals my acne incredibly.

The pain, the swelling, all that would disappear the next day. It would eventually kind of dry on its own. Not sure exactly what is in the water that causes this, although I did end up swallowing few gulps of ocean water.

Thank you for everyone’s replies and suggestions.

As alternativista said, they're very close together, sharing the same ocean, I really doubt it has anything to do with that.

Before arriving in Varadero Cuba I expected the same results as Jamaica because as you mentioned they share the same ocean.

Something in the Jamaican environment was much more potent. The way it cured my nails was unbelievable and my face was awesome too. Nothing happened to my nails in Cuba. The face improved in Cuba but not like in Jamaica. I don’t believe the healing was caused by mindset…I believe the mind is very powerful but this was not mindset in my opinion. My instinct highly tells me it was the healing environment of the ocean.

But if you get fungal infections that often, it's time to have a look at your diet and lifestyle, that's not normal.

My diet and lifestyle are very good at this time. Much better than when I was in Jamaica.

The only fungal infection I have is on my toe nails and I have had it for at least 12 years. I showed it to my doctor, and even though some nails are bad, he said I should not let it concern me because the drug to cure it has bad side effects. The toe nails don’t bother me nearly as much as the unpredictable acne.

My instinct tells me that if I was able to swim in the ocean every morning and live in the beautiful Caribbean I would have no acne and be very healthy. So I have four options at this time.

1) Mimic the ocean environment at home.

2) Go live by the ocean. smile.png It is my eventual plan to do this but I am waiting until I become financially successful. I could potentially do this now since I am single, self employed IT Consultant, and have lived abroad (Asia) before. Maybe I should take the plunge? smile.png

3) Discover the internal/ mental trigger for my acne which I have not been able to do after 20 years. I shouldn’t give up on this but I have failed multiple times traveling this road.

4) Ignore and accept my acne but I just can’t do it. I feel it's the greatest impediment to my potential and greatest mental drag. Sometimes I think moving to the ocean and healing my skin would outweigh the opportunities I have here in Canada. But before considering this I first I have to determine that the healing effect of the ocean is long lasting and reproducible. I have only been at the ocean on vacation twice for 1 week holidays but I am pretty confident that it's a cure for me. In fact I even notice improvements when I swim in lakes but not nearly as effective.

Edited by ions

I edited this post because it is no longer relevant to the topic.

Edited by ions

5) Instead of looking for a magical optimum environment where unicorns will launch out of the water and shoot acne-cleansing lasers at you three times a day, target the root cause. Whatever that is; you can bet it's real.

Update.

I returned last night from a week stay in Jamaica about 20km from my 2008 resort. The Ocean environment was the same as in 2008.

The purpose of the trip was to determine if the Ocean is a complete cure for my acne. I was surprised to learn that swimming in the Ocean and being in the sun does not prevent my acne, it just makes it heal faster and makes my skin look a lot healthier. I was generally getting the same amount of acne, perhaps a little less. Upon my return my skin does look a lot healthier but the Ocean is not a complete / sufficient cure.

Prior to going on the trip I was about 97% sure the Ocean would completely heal and prevent my acne so it was disappointing to see the results. However, on a positive note I am now armed with new information and not shackled to the belief that the Ocean is my cure and that to heal I must live by the Ocean.

After about 5 days of being in Jamaica and not getting the results I expected I started to deliberate on why my skin was so clear in 2008 and in prior years.

I am eating much more healthier than in 2008, I am in much better physical shape than 2008, I have less stress and more confidence than in 2008 (other than Acne). The only conclusion I could draw was that in 2008 I was taking Prozac for a few years which I stopped in 2010. I can’t think of any other explanation - other than factors beyond my control like hormone fluctuations, body chemistry etc... I just did some research and some people report an improvement in Acne while on Prozac and some report an increase in Acne with Prozac.

What really puzzles me is why my toe nails didn’t see any improvement? In 2008 I got massages at the resort and perhaps the masseuse rubbed some oil on my toes? This is all very hard to figure out. smile.png

Conclusions from the Trip: The cause of my acne is internal – I was in the ocean 2-3 hours / day and any bacteria should have been killed. The ocean + sun combo definitely helps my skin look healthier but it does not prevent my Acne.

Conclusion 2: Before I come to a conclusion I must use the scientific method.

My current plan of Action:

• I will continue to drink and apply ACV.
  • I will continue to take foot baths in Epsom Salt as this really seemed to help the nails prior to going on the trip.
  • I am going to try the 500mg of B5 and 500mg of L-Carnitine which seemed to work for a lot of men.

If the above doesn’t work or I get very frustrated with my acne I will try Prozac again to see if it indeed helps my Acne.

I hope my experience with the Ocean helps some people.

Edited by ions

Quit looking for the one true cure. There isn't one. Acne is the end result of all kinds of processes and all kinds of things help. Nothing cures.

I have read/heard good things about "Dead Sea Warehouse Inc" products which sort of answers your initial question regarding the Ocean/Acne healing connection. I believe it has to do with the salt and minerals in the ocean water (but these products are derived from the dead sea which has the highest salt/mineral content). I have ordered their mud mask and facial cleansing bar based off of some recommendations and am hoping to see good topical results. Will let you know how it turns out if you are interested!