Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrettyInside

How To Bring Down An Early Cyst/nodule Fast (Besides Icing It)?

I have a painful bump forming on my forehead. At this point, I'm unsure if it's a cyst or nodule. (For me, cysts don't turn softer until they reach a head; right now, this bump is still firm, but it's wide, which is why I'm concerned about lessening its potency ASAP.)

I noticed it last night and iced it for about 20-25 minutes before bed. I've again iced it this morning, and will continue to ice it at least twice--if not three times--daily. I also applied my current medication, Acanya, to it before bed. But I'm wondering what else I might do to help prevent it from coming to a huge head, or reaching a large, hard "peak" from the base of my forehead.

Thank you,

P.I.

what helps me is taking aleve twice a day because it will help to reduce the inflammation and if that doesnt work get a cortisone shot.

what helps me is taking aleve twice a day because it will help to reduce the inflammation and if that doesnt work get a cortisone shot.

I don't have Aleve in the house but need to run to the store tonight; I'll consider picking some up. I'm not sure if it'll help at this point, though, since I just discovered the oncoming bump last night, and it's much larger already today. (In other words, it's "growing" fast. Ugh...)

I've had cortisone shots in the past and found that they typically left me with a small indented scar afterward; so I'm not sure if I'll want a shot, or not. (I'm to see my dermatology assistant next Friday, the 29th. I'll consider asking for a cortisone injection, if this cyst/nodule is out of control by then. Heh...)

P.I.

if you dont have aleve then ibuprofen is good too. basically anything that can help reduce the swelling and inflammation is good to take. i would keep icing it too because that should help a bit. i have found that with cortisone shots i really believe it depends on the skill of the derm and i often think it depends on how many of them they do a day. the places i go to see a ton of patients everyday so they tend to do a lot of shots and have a lot of experience with them and know exactly how to inject them without getting a dent. i dont even know how many injections i have had at this point but i started getting them in 2007 or 2008 and only had one indent when it was injected 3 times in a few weeks time and that one popped back up in a few days. did your indent pop back up yet? keep me updated and i hope your cyst is gone soon. i just had a blackhead turn into a cyst and got it injected today and damn it freaking hurt. i hope its gone soon though. i hate those freaking cysts!!

Edited by tracy521

if you dont have aleve then ibuprofen is good too. basically anything that can help reduce the swelling and inflammation is good to take.

I'm batting a thousand today.... I forgot to pick up Aleve when I was at the store this evening. And all the pain meds. I have contain acetaminophen. (I'm not sure if it, too, helps reduce swelling/inflammation.)

i would keep icing it too because that should help a bit.

I have a baggie of ice tied to my forehead as I type this response. ;) I plan ice the daylights out of this bump, which I still can't determine as a cyst or a nodule.

did your indent pop back up yet? keep me updated and i hope your cyst is gone soon. i just had a blackhead turn into a cyst and got it injected today and damn it freaking hurt.

I believe that every indent I developed from cortisone shots have gone away, yes. Honestly, I've developed enough scars from acne itself that I can't really determine what minor indents may still be from cortisone shots. Bleh...

i hope its gone soon though. i hate those freaking cysts!!

I hear ya' about hating cysts (and nodules). This disorder is beyond unfair in the sense that it's nearly impossible to hide from the public.

P.I.

so how is your cyst today? did you find anything for it? i hope its better today. i had a few cysts that were freaking gigantic and i thought they were nodules at the time but nope the derm just said they were cysts. do you get nodules normally? well that is good if your cysts fill in after the cortisone shot. you can always try another derm or just tell your derm to dilute it a bit so that you dont get a dent. the one place i go to sometimes dilutes them too much and then its either go back and get another one or wait it out. i tend to go to my other derm now for the shots because they know the exact amount for that sucker to be gone in a day or two. yeah cysts are awful and i wouldnt wish them on my worse enemy as well as nodules. i havent had one of those but it sounds even worse than a freaking cyst. blah!! hope your cyst goes down soon!

Nothing works for my true cysts except hormonal treatments...but for nodules applying 6% sulfur cream and also 2% salicylic acid cream throughout the day usually gets me a whitehead to squeeze out by the end of the day

so how is your cyst today? did you find anything for it? i hope its better today.

Unfortunately, my cyst has blossomed in full. I wore ice on it three times a day for an hour at a time and did this for three days; still, it came on strong, so there wasn't much stopping it, I guess.

do you get nodules normally?

I get them infrequently but had many of them when I was 22 years old, which is when I developed cystic acne. (How unfair it seemed to go from moderate/moderately severe acne from age 12 to even more serious stuff later on. Ugh...)

you can always try another derm or just tell your derm to dilute it a bit so that you dont get a dent. the one place i go to sometimes dilutes them too much and then its either go back and get another one or wait it out. i tend to go to my other derm now for the shots because they know the exact amount for that sucker to be gone in a day or two. yeah cysts are awful and i wouldnt wish them on my worse enemy as well as nodules. i havent had one of those but it sounds even worse than a freaking cyst. blah!! hope your cyst goes down soon!

I see my derm. assistant this Friday. I'm not sure if my cyst will be "too far gone" to treat by that time, since I suspect it's reached its peak distance from my forehead at this time.

I can only speak from my experience, but my nodules don't seem to leave scars; only cysts, which come to a bona-fide head," leave me with indented scars. But I had both forms of acne, to be sure!

P.I.

Nothing works for my true cysts except hormonal treatments...

Could you please specify what you mean by "hormonal treatments?"

...For nodules applying 6% sulfur cream and also 2% salicylic acid cream throughout the day usually gets me a whitehead to squeeze out by the end of the day.

Are these two separate creams that you apply? (It seems that's what you mean.) And can you share with us what they're called and where/how you get them?

Thank you,

P.I.

Could you please specify what you mean by "hormonal treatments?"

Diet, birth control, and/or spironolactone. I would get a lot of bumps under the skin that topical creams just couldn't reach. I went dairy-free some years ago. Dairy products affect hormones greatly...especially in people already prone to acne. It cleared me up quite a bit, but not 100%. In addition to staying mostly dairy-free, I started spironolactone 4 months ago. Now I'm almost 100% clear.

I almost went on a hormonal birth control pill, but decided against it because 1) I have a IUD and don't need birth control 2) the sheer level of hormones birth control introduces seemed like a bad idea. So I went with spiro (it's an anti-androgen), which is a lot milder on the body.