Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone,

I am on week 4 and it isn't getting any better. I keep getting new breakouts everyday and while they are not the really deep kind, they are leaving a red mark ( worse than normal, I know that this is expected). At week 2 I ramped up the BP dose to almost the whole amount in an attempt to kill the acne that I have, but I think I made it worse and my skin was way too dry!! Now i'm back to a small amount, almost spot treating, and my skin is a lot less dry and scaly which is a relief. Apart from the new ones that keep cropping up, the old ones are dying down. However, new ones + red marks don't make me feel like I have made much progress.

Due to less dryness I was feeling positive last night, so I added a little bit of AHA over the moisturizer. At this point, I have about 3 active zits, BUT the rest even tho almost healed are so red that they almost look active...and awful. I can't really explain it :S

I really want to fade the redness and improve the quality of my skin-

1) Has anyone used AHA this early on and got good results?

2) Does it reduce redness?

I would really appreciate some feedback/ suggestions..

Thank YOU and good luck with your personal regimens :)

i'm on week 5 ,not completely clear yet too, but nose , forehead and right cheeks are clear enough for now (read : no active pimples, just scars, redness ,and flakey lilbit) , and i'm just ordering AHA and jojoba oil that hasn't arrived yet! i'm considering to use AHA too when it arrived :) i'm very interested of what people would answer your question/ giving some feedback too... :)

I'm waiting for mine too! But go check out the review on the acne.org website. It will tell you what ppl experienced it or when they used it. But Dan says you can use it after you've been using the BP for atleast 3 weeks or so. Just test it on ur neck if no reaction try it on ur face for a night.

Tiwi, I'm hoping that by week 5 i'm clear too. Really seeming hopeless right now :( I think you should be fine to use the AHA as that is point at which everyones seems to introduce the AHA. Let me know how the results are once you start using it! If it helps with your scars, and redness etc.

Nfamous, I have read a lot and most people seem to wait it out and use it when they are clear. Dan recommends it as a spot treatment over BP. This is interesting as why wouldn't everyone put it on as a spot treatment over BP to heal pimples? I have used it twice over pimples and to be honest, it hasn't had much effect either ways :s

Perhaps with extended use it will yield better results!

I'm eager to hear how it works for both of you! :)

I have been on the regimen for 15 weeks and just started implementing AHA into my regimen very sparingly. If your skin is still pretty dry and flaky, I don't think AHA is the right solution for you just yet because you are still too new to the regimen. In my experience, AHA only further drys and irritates the skin until it is 100% used to the BP. From the issues you are having with your skin currently, it is not even close to being accustomed to the BP. The rougher you are with your skin, the worse your acne and dryness will be. Believe me, I understand your impatience with wanting to have perfect skin. It took my skin about 12 weeks to stop breaking out. I still have not stopped getting acne, but it is only 1/20 of what I was getting before and I still plan to see improvement over the next few months.

I know that some people claim to be able to start using the AHA after only a few weeks, but I think those circumstances are very rare. You just need to have patience. I recommend you hold off on using the AHA until your dryness is very tolerable. Even at 15 weeks, the use of AHA drys my skin. It is possible that I need to use it a bit more to get my skin accustomed to it (which I am beginning to work on slowly). Just remember that the BP clears your acne and keeps it at bay, you don't even need the AHA. If you irritate your skin too much, you will only get more ance, which in turn will cause even more scarring in the future.

I promise, if you just give it alot of time and patience, your skin will improve slowly each day. Also, don't be afraid to use a lot of Jajoba oil. I use between 7-10 drops at night with my lotion and 5 drops in the morning with my lotion. I know at night I use more than I am supposed to according to the regimen, but it helps so much and does not cause any extra acne.

Good luck to you and stick with it! It is very much worth it!

Hey Bass,

its kind of embarrassing how much time I spend on here these days! I'm obsessed, i'm sure you can relate in some way.

Thanks for your reply. I will refrain from adding in the AHA, even though since the last 2 days, my dryness is a lot better. I reduced the BP down a lot. Tonight though, I loaded it on almost half a finger length cause I have 2 new breakouts.

I want to quit every single day, as my skin looks so bad.

After seeing your pictures though, I am inspired! Your skin honestly looks amazing.

I have a long trip coming up in 2 1/2 months and I am praying that I get my skin back by then.

Congrats again on your beautiful recovery!

Oh one more thing, at what stage did you start using a full finger length of BP?

Hey Bass,

its kind of embarrassing how much time I spend on here these days! I'm obsessed, i'm sure you can relate in some way.

Thanks for your reply. I will refrain from adding in the AHA, even though since the last 2 days, my dryness is a lot better. I reduced the BP down a lot. Tonight though, I loaded it on almost half a finger length cause I have 2 new breakouts.

I want to quit every single day, as my skin looks so bad.

After seeing your pictures though, I am inspired! Your skin honestly looks amazing.

I have a long trip coming up in 2 1/2 months and I am praying that I get my skin back by then.

Congrats again on your beautiful recovery!

Oh one more thing, at what stage did you start using a full finger length of BP?

I mostly followed Dan's instructions. The first week I used a pea sized amount of BP. It didn't seem like enough, but after only a few days I started getting dry and itchy. The second week, I moved on to about a 1/2 fingers length. This is really when I started getting peely and feeling the associated burn. At week three I was using about 3/4 finger length. At week four, I started using a full fingers length. Accoring to the instuctions on the website, you are supposed to use a full fingers length when you are at your maximum. I did that until about the end of the second month and at that time I also put and additional 1/4 fingers length of BP on my face. The only reason I did this is because my acne on the more severe side. Now, I have the bottles of BP that come with a pump, so I use 2 1/2 pumps every morning and night. I will not go beyond this number - it seems to be a good amount for me. altough I think my dryness has been prolonged because of it. Be very careful about how much BP you use at what phase. If you start out using too much, the regimen might not work. If you started with way too much, but started where you were supposed to and progressed how you were supposed to, you should be fine. The website says that if you started with too much and didnt correct it, you should start over.

About quiting - don't do it. In all honesty, the first two and a half months I was on the regimen were absolutely terrible. My skin was so dry, irritated, itchy, red and still breaking out terribly that I would get home from work, do the regimen, pop 2 benadryl and go to bed for the night. I did this for 2 weeks straight. All I could focus on was how much my face hurt and how bad it looked all day long. One day, it all just went away. Sure, I am still a bit dry some days, but it is very tolerable. I am barely getting any breakouts. My scarring is fading very fast. It took a few months to get here, but every second of it was worth it because of what I see now. My skin is still very imperfect, but if you expect perfection, I think you will only be let down. Trust me, I understand the frustration of your breakouts. However, you must stick to the amount of BP you are supposed to each week. If you are jumping ahead too quickly, you are only causing yourself more irritation and most likely breakouts. You know your skin better than anyone else, so if you think the AHA is helping you, I don't think there is a problem with using is sparingly at first or even for spot treatment. From my own experience, it only made my skin worse during the first stages (which for me took about 2 1/2 months rather than a month).

Stick with it and stick with it right - you will not regret it.

Yesterday was a terrible day and I was so upset looking at my skin that I put some honey on it! I quickly took it off when I realized that I was ruining all the effort I have put in this far. I got 2 little whiteheads and a painful jawline pimple and the 3 cysts have barely gone down in days and everything just looks BAD. But then I thought about what you said, and how great your skin looks and decided to soldier on!!!!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

I have been taking pictures each day and looking through them I know that everything is getting better. While I may not be clear yet, the pimples are less red and angry looking.I am on day 27 today to be exact and wow is this taking long. I keep thinking how I usually clear up when I get these breakouts within a week or two. Thats my skin, it is clear for weeks and them BOOM awful breakout. I do crazy damage control but then who knows when it will strike again. I want to continue with DKR because I want a long term treatment.

So yea Sticking with it for now!

Ps I saw the picture you posted today and you said you worry about your scarring! You don't have any, it looks super smooth smile.png

Edited by Sup99

I know exactly how you feel. My advice to you is to stop looking at your skin in the mirror so much. Try to do other things that occupy your mind. Worrying about every single bump only makes the process worse. I also know that those things are easier said than done. Just try. Worrying and stressing about new acne does not help it go away. It only makes it seem worse than it really is. And good job on taking the honey off immediately. Experimenting will do you no good. I used to try two new things a week before I started the regimen, so I know sticking to one thing is very difficult, but you just have to do it. Just know that your skin will look good in the next few months (or maybe sooner).

Don't give up, patience is the key with the regimen. If you are consistant and patient - it will work but you need to go through weeks of hard work, disappointment and a bit of pain. But you will be rewarded with clear skin in the end.

As for AHA+, I introduced it at around week 4 (a couple times per week), but I was already using the full dose of BP by that stage. My skin was used to the BP, (that is it was no longer red, but was just very dry). Introducing the AHA+ really helped with the dryness and texture of my skin, but to repeat what Bass said above, I would delay introducing AHA+ until after you are using the full amount of BP and your skin is no longer red.

I think what you need to do now is really concentrate on building up the BP usage. If you are still using only a small amount after 5 weeks, then you arent increasing it quickly enough. It was only after I was using the full amount recommended (building up to that dose over 4 weeks) that my skin finally started to get clear. But before then, it was worse than ever and I too was starting to question whether it was ever going to work. But then suddenly over a 2 week period, my skin magically cleared and once the AHA+ sorted out the dryness I only had to wait for the red marks to heal. Now after 9 months of following the regimen, my skin is clear, I have no red marks (which took ages to fade, but they eventually did), and for the first time in my life I'm no longer embarrassed to be seen without makeup.

Good luck!

Bass, I plan to stop obsessing. Today I woke up, and obviously checked out my face, 2 new little pimples, but i'm just resigned. I don't really care. Haha! I'm taking on a zen approach to this and looking at the bigger picture.I hope it works out for me the way it did for you :) Thanks for the encouragement, its so important that I have this or I would quit.

Ayeaye, my issue right now is that I have been fluctuating with the BP usage. This is what keeps happening- I started with a small amount, pea sized as suggested and then moved onto full finger usage at about week 3? I experienced terrible burning, itching, flaking the works a few days after using it. For a day or two I went back down lets say half a finger length and everything subsided, the dryness got much better. I then felt that my skin was used to the BP so I went back up again and yesterday when I used a full fingers worth in the morning my face BURNT. I put my makeup and it was still red underneath. Through the day, I developed 2 breakouts. It was like I felt them come up too. Those areas were extra itchy. I think I irritated my skin by the full dosage of BP. Last night I only spot treated. So now at end of week 4, I guess my skin is still not used to the BP? Some days it is and somedays its not. What should I do? how much BP should I be using?

Alternatively, one side of my face, which has much fewer breakouts, all of which are healing, is just red and hyperpigmented. I'm thinking of using AHA there..

Congrats on your skin it makes me happy to hear it :) Looks lovely and glowy in your picture !

Also, I think I might post some pictures soon!