Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lemmy

Finally Worked Out How To Make Panoxyl Work For Me: 100% Clear.

I've had mild to moderate acne since i was 16. I am now 34. Of those 18 spot-centric years i have been 100% clear only for about 3 months, about 10 years ago when my doctor prescribed me a course of antibiotics. They worked briefly, then stopped, and the acne came back stronger.

I'm 'lucky' enough not to suffer from cysts, instead i get large red spots and smaller whiteheads on my chin, both sides of my neck, behind my ears and on the hairline on the back of my neck. I usually get three or four large new spots a week, which stay active for about a week, before drying up and leaving behind the dreaded red mark. I must have have tried every spot/acne related facewash available in the UK, I have tried being dairy free, wheat free, sugar free, caffeine free, nut free, vegan, began voga, washed with only water, etc, etc.. all with varying degrees of failure.

I have also tried Dan's routine for nearly 3 months, and while i did notice a positive reaction on the number of new spots i was developing, the improvements were not really great enough to justify the cost of importing the products into the UK.

I have tried the Panoxyl range of Benzoyl Peroxide products many times, and always with the same results: insanely dry, red and flakey skin resulting in irritation resulting in more spots.

Roughly 6 weeks ago, i became desperate. I went through a terrible two week long breakout which was showing no signs of stoppping, and i was willing to try almost anything - so in desperation i began searching through my huge collection of acne related supplies that i have amassed over the months and years, and i came across a single, unopened tube of Panoxyl Aquagel 2.5 benzoyl peroxide. I figured that if nothing else it will dry out the spots i already have, and hopefully slow down the breakout. So i applied it, and guess what happened?: skin became lobster red, sore, itchy, flakey and irritated. Same as always - BUT it did stop the breakout, and it did dry out the existing spots. So i began thinking; how can i continue to apply this without it being so harsh to my skin?, well.. why not try diluting it down?. And that's what i did, and it actually worked better than i could ever have wished to hope!. My face is currently 100% clear. The extreme-drying, flaking and redness has all completely vanished. Since starting this method, i have developed just two, small new spots in over six weeks.

My "routine" is basically the same as Dan's, but with UK sourced products, and a few modificiations - i'll share it in the hope that it can help others.

I do the following twice a day, when i wake up, and about an hour before i go to bed:

1): I wash my face/neck gently for about 30-45 seconds in the shower with Body Shop's Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash - not everyone likes this, because it contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Menthol and some other not so wonderful ingredients - but my skin seems to like it, and it doesn't break my out so i'm sticking with it.

2): I wait 10-15 minutes for my face/neck to dry before applying the Panoxyl Benzoyl Peroxide. I squeeze out exactly one middle finger length of Panoxyl Aquagel 2.5 benzoyl peroxide onto one hand. I run my other hand briefly under warm water then rub my hands together for a few seconds, resulting in two palms full of watery, Benzoyl Peroxide-paste which i apply gently to all my 'problem' areas. I rub it in on my face/neck until all the Benzoyl Peroxide paste has been absorbed.

3): I wait another 10-15 minutes for my face/neck to dry before gently applying moisturiser. I've had similarly good results with both Simple's Hydrating Facial Moisturiser, and Cetaphil's moisturiser, however the one i'm using now is a surprisngly effective and gentle product called Cien's Caring Moisturiser which i discovered in Lidl(!) of all places for a ridiculously cheap price.

That's all!. Finally a routine that is working for me, which is easily sourced, inexpensive and uncomplicated. It's just a pity that it took me the best part of two decades to find it!

I hope someone else using a facial cleanser and moisturiser of their own preference, has some good luck with this method of Benzoyl Peroxide application,

Edited by lemmy

This makes an awful lot of sense and its something i've been considering for a while - I'm a hairdresser and its known that the peroxide used in bleaching/colouring can be mixed with water to half the percentage, so it only makes sense that this applies to benzoyl peroxide (considering it also contains water). I cant wait to try this, the 3 pharmacies in my town only stock 10% so ive been a total flaky mess :(

I also find that diluting panoxyl makes a huge difference. I usually apply it straight out of the shower, while my face and hands are still damp. It's quite thick and heavy otherwise, especially compared to Dan's BP.