Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This last year has been the hardest year of my life. Between the struggles of moving, highschool, home drama, depression, and acne... my love for myself has slowly been eaten away. Its now the summer before my senior year and... I find myself tired. Tired of not wanting to get out of bed. Tired of not wanting to look in the mirror. Tired of hiding away from the sun, the things I love, my friends, my family... but most importantly... myself. Acne has taken so much away... though it feels silly to say... things that I had always taken for granted. Smiling without worry of scars. Laughing without worrying about that ugly pimple. Looking people in the eyes and telling them I'm happy--- when I truly am! And what is the cause of all of this? Stupid teen blemishes. Well... I refuse to hate myself any more.

I'm pleading... and asking all who wish to join me... to love myself. To look in the mirror and say... I am beautiful, talented, and worth the time of other people. I mean... acne sucks. It sucks because it scars physically, socially, and mentally. And I've been so careful, to treat those physical scars. But... not the other ones. So. Now. I truely begin healing.

Wash twice aday. Use sunscreen. Drink water. Exercise. Moisturize. Meditate. And stop stressing about the acne that says "I WILL NOT PASS" . Teehee. Nerdy Lord of the Ring reference aside...

Its time to start loving me.

And maybe my skin will improve with a positive mind set.

Or maybe not.

But like I said... i'm tired of my skin making me tired.

So there. (:

Want to join? Comment w/your thoughts and struggles I'll be sure to answer.

hey man.. i will join you on this. I've been trying it already and today had a good day... Its still tough but baby steps.

wash 5 times a day with soap+1 tme at night[after few hours of sleeping when you wake up, if you do]

dont let your skin get oily

dont moisturize

Edited by arqa22

I'm definitely joining you on this journey! I know how you feel. Were wasting our lives worrying that were not good enough for ppl, which we totally are! Why should we hate oursleves for not being perfect. When really we don't have tto be. I just don't want to look back ob my life and wonder all the great things I couldve done if my acne hadn't affect me ...... I'm basically at this state were if my skin isn't perfect I don't want to enjoying going out unless it is...and I think about how,wrong that is....what if its never perfect? And I just gonna stay iin my room for the rest of my life and the answer is NO I AM NOT! I've been afraid for too long and like you said IM SOO TIRED! IS EXTREMELLY EXHAUSTING LIVING THIS WAY AND IM COMPLETELY DONE! :) I NEED TO LIVE. WE ONLY LIVE ONCE....

look beside you look behind you look all around you ah tho you cant see us but you can feel us backing you up we are with you 100% :> count me in

We def need to keep this thread going. I think the one thing that connects us all, well other than acne itself, is exactly what the OP is describing. We all know the pain and suffering of what it is to live with acne... but that doesn't mean we don't have the right to be happy. This is a bit random but the other day as I was thinking to myself, I told myself I would give one of my legs if it meant clear skin for good. I don't know if many of you would say the same.. but I still think I would. Then I asked myself would I give both my legs for it? Then I told myself no.. I wouldn't. The point is that there are many people out there suffering far more than we ever have or will... and speaking for myself, I have suffered a great deal in this life time and I am sure many of you have as well.. if not all.

But the truth is that there are far worse diseases, conditions, circumstances, factors, etc out there that is much worse than dealing with acne. And yes, its much easier said than done.. I agree.. i'm on the same boat fighting for my mental peace as you.

Anyhow.. maybe we can post random vents and stuff in this thread to help each other out. I know for myself, that I could really use all the help I can get right now. Cheers.

wash 5 times a day with soap+1 tme at night[after few hours of sleeping when you wake up, if you do]

disagree with this for two reasons. First off the more you strip your face of oil the more oily it will actually get. When your skin detects that it's low on oil it overproduces it. If you just wash twice a day that's the perfect healthy amount where you shouldn't overproduce.

Washing 5 times a day is also bad for the mindset because then your skin is on your mind all the time, with thoughts like "is my skin oily?" or "when should I wash next?" constantly pervading your head.

dont moisturize

Wtf? Completely wrong. Literally don't do any of those things. Wash morning and night and moisturize regardless of your skin type.

disagree with this for two reasons. First off the more you strip your face of oil the more oily it will actually get. When your skin detects that it's low on oil it overproduces it. If you just wash twice a day that's the perfect healthy amount where you shouldn't overproduce.

Washing 5 times a day is also bad for the mindset because then your skin is on your mind all the time, with thoughts like "is my skin oily?" or "when should I wash next?" constantly pervading your head.

where the hell did you get that from? its total bulsh1t

oily skin is caused by HORMOES, not external factors

oh dear...

ur body produces natural oils to maintain ur skin mantle. proper pH balance is important for the mantle to be maintained.

some cleansers remove this natural barrier from the skin, thus throwing pH balance off. it may be too alkaline, it may be too acidic.

when this happens, there is no protection against harmful bacteria and dirt getting thru to ur skin, which can lead to clogged pores.

if u are acne prone, clogged pores could lead to breakouts.

so if u already have oily skin & u remove all the oil from ur face, ur body will start to produce an excessive amount. (think supply & demand)

an excessive amount of oil production can lead to oily skin.

oily skin can be caused by hormones, yes. but that does not mean it is never caused by external factors. there is more than one cause for oily skin.

That's a really great attitude. I'm tiring of missing out on life, and I know for a fact that I can create good memories for myself if I stop blowing off friends and canceling plans just because of acne. In life we can't help the hand we've been dealt, we just have to play our cards the best we can.

You forgot healthy eating, like lots of vegetables and frutis. Diet is important for everything.

Everything sounds good though, like exercising, washing face twice a day, mediate, etc.. but should add eating high vegetables/fruits to cleanse.

oh dear...

ur body produces natural oils to maintain ur skin mantle. proper pH balance is important for the mantle to be maintained.

some cleansers remove this natural barrier from the skin, thus throwing pH balance off. it may be too alkaline, it may be too acidic.

when this happens, there is no protection against harmful bacteria and dirt getting thru to ur skin, which can lead to clogged pores.

if u are acne prone, clogged pores could lead to breakouts.

so if u already have oily skin & u remove all the oil from ur face, ur body will start to produce an excessive amount. (think supply & demand)

an excessive amount of oil production can lead to oily skin.

oily skin can be caused by hormones, yes. but that does not mean it is never caused by external factors. there is more than one cause for oily skin.

That's when Jojoba oil is needed, but sadly it doesn't work for everyone. I love how jojoba oil tricks your skin ;cause it is very similar to ours, so your skin don't produce oil which is great. It worked for me. My skin used to be oily and when I started applying jojoba oil, within a week, my skin went back to normal and now it is so smooth as a baby skin, but I still have redmarks, scars, and still get pimples occasionally. ;\ At least it isn't bad like 2-3 weeks ago.. I had like 30+ pimples.. now I have 2-3.

Edited by EddieE

at least ur seeing signs of improvement eddieE, thats great! in just 2-3 weeks too!! i agree too that a proper healthy diet is at the root of all well-being. dont forget ur probiotics!! they do wonders for the health of ur gut & a healthy gut is so very important. it all begins with a healthy gut that properly digests the proper nutrients u ingest.

I logged on this morning curious to see who had joined in on the LoveMe thread and was... pleasantly surprised. Currently day three for me and ATM trying to push past the lock-my-self-in-room-and-hid syndrome-- to get ready to go run. *sigh* It's too bad I'm a woman of my word. It would be sooooo easy to just camp into day with my laptop, lights down, and hid it out but... I said I would start to love myself and that includes going out into the world. lol.

Recently, I've noticed that while I've been so keen on healthy-ing my skin... I've forgotten the rest of me! Luckily I have an extremely high metabolism so it hasn't affected me yet but erg. I need to exercise more. It helps for a healthy lifestyle, better mood, and I'm thinking could have an effect on skin. But key thing, I'm not going to exercise for clear skin. I'm going to exercise for a happier, fitter me!! Join me?

So guys, new challenge along with LoveMe:

Focus on perfecting another part of the body (while still doing maintenance on your skin):

Try crunchys for abs, 30 min run for legs and heart, just some sort of exercise that gets your heart pumping and you, moving. If you are comfortable, try going to the gym or outside, even if you fear doing so. I'll be heading out soon(: Wish me luck!

Our skin may not be perfect but... why can't everything else be?

Keep me posted on how your struggles and successes are going, and let me know if the exercise helps(: Keep up the positive energy everyone!!!

hey man.. i will join you on this. I've been trying it already and today had a good day... Its still tough but baby steps.

Glad to hear you had a good day(: I'm finding that I have to remind myself multiple times to say positive but I'm hoping that with "baby steps" it will just become habit. Keep up your head and the good work!!

We def need to keep this thread going. I think the one thing that connects us all, well other than acne itself, is exactly what the OP is describing. We all know the pain and suffering of what it is to live with acne... but that doesn't mean we don't have the right to be happy. This is a bit random but the other day as I was thinking to myself, I told myself I would give one of my legs if it meant clear skin for good. I don't know if many of you would say the same.. but I still think I would. Then I asked myself would I give both my legs for it? Then I told myself no.. I wouldn't. The point is that there are many people out there suffering far more than we ever have or will... and speaking for myself, I have suffered a great deal in this life time and I am sure many of you have as well.. if not all.

But the truth is that there are far worse diseases, conditions, circumstances, factors, etc out there that is much worse than dealing with acne. And yes, its much easier said than done.. I agree.. i'm on the same boat fighting for my mental peace as you.

Anyhow.. maybe we can post random vents and stuff in this thread to help each other out. I know for myself, that I could really use all the help I can get right now. Cheers.

Defininatly a fan of random vents and such! I had a similar experience to your "missing leg" ordeal, thinking "I'd rather be fat than have acne". I mean... being larger with work and decation, most can slim down healthy. But with acne, even with WORK and DECICATION... it still remains. Then I mentally slapped my wrist and reminded myself of postive thinking. lol. I'm thankful for this thread, because its nice to know I'm not alone in how I think.

That and its always nice to realize I'm not crazy due to the crazy things I think!!! (:

Edited by Mirror

does anyone have any good advice about finding perspective when you find yourself in the mirror thinking you have the absolute worst skin to ever have happened? I need help with this!

great post mirror!! exercising is so crucial to well-being because of the endorphins released & that sense of accomplishment!! my commitment to that other body part is my entire body lol! i have committed to eating better & healthier. i have started with cutting out processed foods. i do sometimes slip up but i dont beat myself up about it because i have gotten a lot better overall.

@kailaruth i wish i had a proper answer that would solve this for u but the only thing i can tell u is that u have to love urself & who u are inside. when that happens nothing else matters. i had to embrace long ago that my skin isnt perfect & then find a way to be ok with that. i also gave up caring what other people think about me. whether it's my skin or my personality, who i am is who i am. people either accept me as i am & treat me with the respect that all humans are due, or they dont. it is not up to me what someone else thinks about me, i can only be me & the awesome person that i am. with my imperfect skin.

if ur in the mirror & feeling bad about ur skin, find something else to think about. something that makes u happy & fills u with joy. and only spend enough time in the mirror to do ur regimen, not to inspect ur skin & judge whether it is better or worse. dont spend time in the mirror criticizing urself. u are ur own worst enemy, trust me, i know!!

@kailaruth

A "good" perspective would be that of the starving-kids-in-africa perspective where you judge your skin/life/situation in relative perspective. But... for me that doesn't work. Those mornings in which I look in the mirror and all I can see is a big mess of gross... its not healthy. But lately I have tryed to stop this feeling at the source, talking myself through each look. I allow myself a few moments before I look to come to terms with my skin, what it will look like, and also to mentally prepare myself. I also remind the inner monologue to, for lack of better termage shut-the-H-up. I am the one who allows myself to feel gross when I look in the mirror. That negative feeling will only lead to a bad day, raised stress, and grosser skin the next day. Breathe deep and be happy for another day to be able to take healthy care of you're skin, but more importantly... breathe and think... its okay, I'm okay, life is okay. Most importantly, allow yourself a moment to freak out, and then shake it off and keep your head up the rest of the day. Basically... tell you're inner mono. to shush a moment, and rule what you want to think of yourself.

Sending Positive thoughts(:

@kailaruth

A "good" perspective would be that of the starving-kids-in-africa perspective where you judge your skin/life/situation in relative perspective. But... for me that doesn't work. Those mornings in which I look in the mirror and all I can see is a big mess of gross... its not healthy. But lately I have tryed to stop this feeling at the source, talking myself through each look. I allow myself a few moments before I look to come to terms with my skin, what it will look like, and also to mentally prepare myself. I also remind the inner monologue to, for lack of better termage shut-the-H-up. I am the one who allows myself to feel gross when I look in the mirror. That negative feeling will only lead to a bad day, raised stress, and grosser skin the next day. Breathe deep and be happy for another day to be able to take healthy care of you're skin, but more importantly... breathe and think... its okay, I'm okay, life is okay. Most importantly, allow yourself a moment to freak out, and then shake it off and keep your head up the rest of the day. Basically... tell you're inner mono. to shush a moment, and rule what you want to think of yourself.

Sending Positive thoughts(:

an inner monologue, i like that. also the bit about allowing urself to freak out & then moving on with ur day. because ur right, we are thankful for every day we get to wake up & look ourselves in the mirror. each day is a new day for something wonderful to happen.

I'm with u on this one! Although everytime I decide to be more positive it lasts only a few hours or until I catch a glimpse of my reflection then it goes back to square one :( anyone go through the same pattern of up and down emotions?

@FreeOneDay

Glad you've decided to join in on positive thinking as for the ups and downs... yes, I go through this severely. Just yesterday, I was hanging out with my family, laughing and having an awesome time, and then in the middle my youngest brother said something about my face. It wasn't anything to do with acne, I can't remember what he said exactly but even the reminder "hey you're face" caused my heart to drop ten floors, hitting my toes, causing my throat to clam up and me to run upstairs to look in the mirror and hid. The think I hate most about this battle is that... all it takes is the that spiderlike reminder. Good turns ugly in a matter of seconds. We have all got to find a way to stay confident through the worst moments. Any help on how to do so??

I think the key is to not give a fu*k. I'm still fighting this as well but lately I think I have been working on accepting acne rather than fighting it. Not accepting it as in defeat, but more so its just whatever.. I think it becomes a big problem if we make it a big problem. Case in point, people will always judge.. always... but the best part is that there judgement means nothing. Who are they, or we, to judge anyone?

Another thing is also.. life is really short. For most of us, we have lived 25% of our life time, or more... in the end, looks will def not matter.. nor will the money you made.. only what you've become as a human being. And if there is an after life, then hopefully we were good enough people to make it to a better life. If there is no after life, then atleast we weren't afraid to life our lives. Case in point, in the end looks still don't matter... regardless of your religious/spiritual background. What counts is who we are.. thats it... and if we let acne destroy us.. well thats on us.

Of course.. this is me just rambling.. of course its much easier said than done. but just my 2 cents b/c thats how I would like to think.... even when my skin clears.