Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dreamer003

Three Months Post Accutane

Hello,

I just thought I'd share my story post accutane, since I was always interested in reading those while I was on it.

I have a log (http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/305661-oh-my-accutane/), but I kinda stopped after a month I think, so it's not that interesting.

I started out on accutane with persistant mild/moderate acne, started breaking out a bit more the first month and then started clearing up. I was completely clear after about 2 1/2 months. I started out on 40 mg and then 50 mg in the second month and in total I was on it for 5 months and had my cumulative dosage (120mg/kg).

The side effects I was experiencing:

- dry skin

- dry lips

- red flush, especially when it was really cold/hot or when I drank alcohol

- really sensitive and thin skin

- rash on arms

- occasional nose bleeds

After stopping the dry skin and dry lips went away pretty quickly, I think after about 2 or 3 weeks. My skin is now normal, not dry not oily, although its a bit more on the dry side.

The rash on my arms also dissapeared within the first month and after stopping I didn't experience any nose bleeds anymore.

The redness took a bit longer, I think in the second month (after stopping) it started to get less red, but I still get red more easily, especially with alcohol.

My skin is still thin and sensitive, although I feel like it thickened slightly since I came off accutane. Because of my fragile skin, the break out I had while on accutane left some shallow indented scarring. I don't feel like it looks better now, I don't think they are going to "fill up".

My red marks are fading slowly, but I feel like it's taking longer because of my thin skin and it showing through more.

Now for the acne, my skin was still completely clear after two months, but this month I am breaking out a tiny bit on my cheeks. It's nothing major, really really mild and I think i can get rid of it with the right skin care and diet, but technically i'm not completely clear anymore. I don't feel like it's going to get worse though, but maybe I'm wrong.

If you have any questions or something, I'll be happy to help :)