Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been on Adoxa for about 3 weeks and I am really amazed by the results. I would say to this point (I saw results probably after about 10 days) I am about 80% clear. Before I went on this, I was on Minocycline and Tazorac for 2 months.

biggrin.gif

Is this unusual to have these great results? Has anyone been on Adoxa and what kind of results did you have and do these results tendt o fade after a while?

My breakouts were so severe on my back and shoulders that I was begging the doctor for Accutane. However, he encouraged me to try to Adoxa. It has really worked wonders and I am very pleased with the results. By the way, I have had zero side effects while on Adoxa.

Here are my questions:

1) When I come off Adoxa, will my skin return to how it was before I was on it?

2) How long can I remain on Adoxa?

3) Would it be worthwhile to go on Accutane after this Adoxa treatment, just to stop future problems?

4) Lastly, if I go on Accutane, how long after treatment do I have to wait to have any scar revision surgery performed?

Thanks for any help.

I'll try to answer your questions

1) Theres always that chance with ANY medication. Adoxa is just a name brand Doxycycline which is an anti-bacterial after the acne bacteria is eliminated there is always a chance it might return

2) Doxycycline is very very harsh on your system. Especialy your stomach and intestine. When I was on it the derma. said its a short term medication because long term it can create alot of side effects. I just got done reading medicine info. on Adoxa and every site I go to says its just a brand name Doxycycline but im not absolutely posititve its the EXACT same I don't see why it would? Here's the exact long term side effects. http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,39...7CAdoxa,00.html

3) If your acne is cleared up leave it be. Accutane is for stubborn acne its not used as a preventive medication there are too many serious side effects to be used lightly. My cholestorol shot up to 210 when i was on it and it hasnt gone done since =/ I've been on off it for a month. I'm only 18.

4) My dermatologist said 6 months miminum. Thats the typical life of accutane in your system so in theory after 6 months there should be none in your system(the main reason some people have their acne return within 5-6 months). However in some cases it can stay in your system for up to 2 years. Talk to your derma. about your particular situation. They usualy do lipid tests (cholestorol) and liver tests to determine if the accutane is sitll effecting your system and if its not they give you the go ahead for other treatments.

I'll try to answer any other questions you might have. I've been on doxy. and Accutane. And if anyone has anything to add its muchly appreciated. I looked at about 6 or 7 pharmacuetical sites and they all said Adoxa is a Doxycycline. But since its very new I'm hesitant to call it JUST an average everyday doxy.

P.S I did a little more digging on Adoxa. Aparrently its a very specialized tetracycline its modified to treat acne and only acne. Regular tetracyclines (such as doxycycline) target almost all bacteria and their main usage was for bacterial infections. Adoxa is the first doxy. targeted at the acne bacteria the side effects are the exact same.