Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wezulu89

Rolling Acne Scar Treatments/advice?

Hi,

I suffered through school with moderate acne, and was put on a course of ro-accutane which was supposed to calm it down. It had the opposite effect causing my acne to become cystic and swollen resulting in moderate rolling scars on the side of my face. My left side is scarred but not as severely as the right, and i noticed when i smile, the right side of my cheek seems sucked into the skin and it looks disgusting sad.png

I have done hours and hours of research to try find the best way to treat rolling scars and have only tried a few treatments such as:

Fraxel (pixel lasers) - 3 treatments spaced 1 month apart

dermarolling (although havent rigorously tried this, I do my own needling at home)

Copper peptides and rose hip oil

I have heard and seen amazing results in subcisions but am not at ease with a surgeon poking my face with a needle.

Has anyone had experience/success removing their rolling scars?

I'm 20 and I keep thinking the longer I leave treatment, the more permanent/obvious the scars will be.

Hey, you seem to be using the correct products. Derma rolling is really help. But remember, it takes time, and you have to be persistent. Don't overdo it though, derma roll but keep a gap of 3-4 weeks between each instance. This will change with the intensity. I am sure that you already know this, but often times we lose our patience

Next, I don't know what your scars look like so could you upload pictures. It would help others finding your post as they can quickly assess the treatment options

It seems that you have done a load of research, but now continue to dermaroll and apply copper peptides, and when you do so, be persistent. This is much better than going for "laser" treatment as they have large downtimes and super high costs.

I don't know what you already have prior knowledge of so, sorry if you already know some of these

Apply copper peptides, grape seed oil, rosehip, every morning as they increase collagen. Work your way up to higher strengths of copper peptides.

After dermarolling apply copper peptides. Also, work you way up the needle size. If your scars are deep, the lower needle sizes won't even reach the Dermis.

Can you tell me how much improvement you have recieved after the treatments you have used

For rolling scars, subcision seems to be the best approach.

Seriously, I apparently had rolling scars on the left side of my face, did one subcision session along with a Mixto ablative laser, and they're virtually gone. Now, all I worry about is pre-existing acne and the right side of my face, which doesn't seem to be rolling scars.

I'll work on uploading some photos of my scarring, I haven't noticed too much of an improvement using copper peptides and rose-hip oil although I have only used them for a few months and I understand that it takes a while to see results. I'm using a 1.5mm dermaroller at the moment which I roll my face once every 2 weeks and then apply the copper peptides afterwards, and usually when I roll small amounts of blood draw from the area rolled.

I'm also using a Light lamp to reduce any breakouts I get and occasionally use the red light stimulation for collagen (but I doubt that has much effect).

I'm just trying to figure out who has had a treatment that works best for their rolling scars as I do not want to spend copious amounts of money only to be disappointed in the results.

I think subcision seems to be the way to go in term of treatment, but have heard good and bad things about it so not sure..

I'll work on uploading some photos of my scarring, I haven't noticed too much of an improvement using copper peptides and rose-hip oil although I have only used them for a few months and I understand that it takes a while to see results. I'm using a 1.5mm dermaroller at the moment which I roll my face once every 2 weeks and then apply the copper peptides afterwards, and usually when I roll small amounts of blood draw from the area rolled.

I'm also using a Light lamp to reduce any breakouts I get and occasionally use the red light stimulation for collagen (but I doubt that has much effect).

I'm just trying to figure out who has had a treatment that works best for their rolling scars as I do not want to spend copious amounts of money only to be disappointed in the results.

I think subcision seems to be the way to go in term of treatment, but have heard good and bad things about it so not sure..

Yeah, it's an older type of treatment, one of the oldest, and it's fairly bloody and there are all sorts of potential complications, but none of those should be a problem given a trained doctor behind the needle. Rolling scars just don't respond too well to most treatments because they're just physically bound-down, no amount of coaxing will break them away unless you physically do it.

Luckily, subcisions is still widely practiced today, so it should not be hard to find a doctor who is confident in that technique.

you are going to have to take DRaGZs word,

topicals like copper peptides are no where near strong enough to have a impact on acne scarring.

You are going to need go under the knife and get blasted in the face with lasers.

Oh, and subcision is traditionally very cheap. I think the average subcision price is around $200?

If it's really just rolling scars you have (a dermatologist can help verify that), then subcision would be a really cheap and awesome method for you.

Take a look at this. I got it from http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7270023352/m/9150019263?r=1470038363

“Skin bio, Why do sometimes people use strong cps and strong acids for over a year and get no results with scars. I have seen a few posts from people who say this.” -- David, http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/72...352/m/9150019263/p/1

“And just recently, since there were a few posts about the difficulties of remodeling pitted scars with hydroxy acid and SRCPs, I decided to experiment and remodel my childhood chicken pox scars (very small pitted scars) on my face to see what people are talking about. --JW, http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7270023352/m/2580082463/r/8470093463#8470093463

Well guys, here is my report I promised on remodeling pitted scars.

I picked three small old pitted scars on my face to experiment with which initially I had no intention of remodeling because they were relatively unnoticeable to bother me and to take the risks. The two small childhood chickenpox pitted scars on my face: one was on my forehead and another one was about one-cm next to my right nostril. The third tiny pitted scar was right on my nose caused by a sterilized needle puncture to remove either a milia or a pimple few years ago.

METHODS USED (scheduled 1.5 weeks or more of down time):

1. PRECISION & SPOT TREAT the craters with Dr. Scholl’s Liquid Corn/Callus Remover , a 12.6% leave-on salicylic acid (also used in my previous and concurrent successful age spot treatments).

Because my pitted scars were small relatively speaking and especially the one on my nose, I used a pointed stainless dental scaling/root planing instrument instead of a Q-tip to apply the high-concentration hydroxy acid. I spot treated only the craters to exfoliate only the pitted scars. You can probably use a pointed toothpick if you don‘t have a dental scaling/planing tool.

2. Repeat and spot treat with the salicylic acid once or twice daily depending how your skin reacted and how deeply your pitted scar need to be loosened and remodeled. Repeat exfoliating and spot treatment until the damaged scar tissue either is loosening up or peeling a little. Twice-a-day application for two days (or once-a-day for three days) sufficiently and efficiently peeled my sun spot and loosen the pitted scar tissue.

Read the directions on the bottle and do not exceed the recommended use, especially because facial tissue is thinner than most calluses.

3. DAY 3 and 4: Apply Neosporin or emu oil ONLY to the damaged and loosened scars.

I didn’t cover the treated pitted scars with clear band aid like I did with the sun spot removal procedure because the smaller pitted scars didn’t peel the same way in one piece like exfoliating the sun spot. Also, because I knew I wouldn’t be going out with three prominent discolored spots on my face, there was no need to conceal or protect the treated scars from UV light damage; however, in retrospect, I could and probably should have protected them from indoor UV damage, infection, and additional injury (more on that below), but the exposed and treated pitted areas were too small in diameter to have made a difference to be worth the time-consuming effort of the fitting and separating the thin adhesive clear film.

The scars remodeled and peeled differently. Whereas the brown damaged tissue of the age spot peeled all in one layer on the third day (the size of the head of a pencil eraser) and exposed the health pink skin beneath, the damaged tissue of the pitted scar lingered a day longer and didn’t peel in one uniform layer but over several days. The difference was probably due to the more precise and smaller treated area of the pitted scar.

4. DAY 5-6: Started with a light coat of CP Serum (or the lightest SRCPs you have) followed by emu oil or Vitamin E oil.

If you feel too much sting, then your remodeled scar is not ready for the SRCPs yet or the strength of copper peptides you are using. If you don’t have lower strength SRCPs on hand, you could spot treat your pitted scar with a biological healing oil first, then apply the higher strength SRCPs.

Spot treating the remodeling pitted scars with low strength SRCPs, such as CP Serum, daily two or three times in the first few days worked for me.

5. DAY 7-10: Spot treat the pitted scars with Super CP Serum and then Super Cop two or three days daily followed by biological healing oil.

After I see the pitted scar is healing and protected somewhat and when I can use hydroxy acid again without experiencing stinging sensations, I then began remodeling the scar with Exfol and a stronger strength SRCPs like, Super Cop and/or some SC2 to further remodel the remodeled and loosen pitted scar. I really stepped up on spot treating the remodeled scar with Exfol and Super Cop a few time a day at this point.

RESULTS after 1.5 weeks:

Two of the small Chickenpox pitted scars are totally filled up. I would say the craters were 97-99% remodeled. The old craters are not there or only slightly, and the pitted scars look smooth and a little discolored and on the shiny side. Another around of the same spot treatment if necessary or after two months of Exfol and SRCPs, the pitted scars will probably be 100% remodeled.

The only reason the pitted scar on the nose didn’t heal at the same time as the other two pitted scars was because I bumped or scratched the healing scab around Day 6 or 8 by accident. If I had the remodeling scar covered, the additional physical injury could have been avoided; but then again, taping with a clear film may not have worked because it was right on the tip of my nose. The accidental deep physical injury to the remodeled pitted scar seemed to have prolonged the remodeling and recovering processes a bit.

Nonetheless, the pitted nose scar is healing nicely at week 2. I am spot treating the pitted scar with Exfol cream and Super Cop and SC2 for better spot treatment on the tip of nose. Pray the scar-reducing copper peptides will do their magic.

Based on the visual results from the two remodeled pitted scars, I would say the pitted scars were remodeled 97% to 99% successfully.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JW, 14 August 2005 05:22 PM

Well, this is great for icepick and boxcar scars, sure. But not for rolling scars. Icepick/boxcar scars are from a lack of collagen. Rolling scars are because portions of the skin are literally bound down. It's treating two different symptoms.

I reckon copper peptides do work, but need to be in combination with needling, otherwise there's no real way for the peptides to penetrate the skin. The copper peptides im using are fairly strong I think, heres the link to the product..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370617687738#ht_1960wt_905

I agree DRaGZ, with my rolling scars, the actual skin doesn't look too badly damaged, its just really tethered underneath the skin and that's what I think makes it look disfiguring. With subcisions can you have the option to get put asleep while they do the procedure? cause i would rather prefer that than being awake when they do the procedure.

I reckon copper peptides do work, but need to be in combination with needling, otherwise there's no real way for the peptides to penetrate the skin. The copper peptides im using are fairly strong I think, heres the link to the product..

http://cgi.ebay.com....8#ht_1960wt_905

I agree DRaGZ, with my rolling scars, the actual skin doesn't look too badly damaged, its just really tethered underneath the skin and that's what I think makes it look disfiguring. With subcisions can you have the option to get put asleep while they do the procedure? cause i would rather prefer that than being awake when they do the procedure.

I think, in general, they do not fully knock you out, because being fully knocked out is tricky business, especially for procedures that medically do not need it.

I was put into "twilight" sleep, which means that I was awake, but extremely drowsy (I could barely lift my arms), but I'm sure it varies from doctor to doctor.