Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jakeeey

So, Does Not Using Any Acne Products Help It?

So i've heard that not using any acne products actually helps to cure it but I'm not sure? so I am posting on here for other people's views on this?

Comment please :)

Thanks.

I've also heard this. I'm no scientist but, it's initially how I got clear. IMHO, chemicals (especially the excessively harsh such as SLS) have no place on or near your skin.

However, like I said I'm no scientist. Do your research and if you wish to test if it'd help you, trial run the "Caveman regime" for 30 days and then progress from there.

Edited by Lee1234

I use a facial wash, Epiduo (10% benzoyl peroxide) and I fell asleep the other night without applying epiduo, and my face somewhat looked better than it did than with applying it because I applied it and it looked a little irritated.

Yeah this seems to be working for me, I just simply wash my face with water and its working. I think the chemicals just irritates my skin.

Oh right, Tony, do you think I should start from tonight then ?

I guess you can give it a try and see how it works on your skin, I just splash my face with lukewarm water then use a wet towel and gently dab it dry.

Ive also heard this method! I tried for about a week and my face just seemed to get really dry, so i went back to my old routine... Plz let me know if you have success with it

Cure? No. Unless you are causing your acne by applying something to which you are intolerant.

But it does mean you stop aggravating your skin, not to mention stopping the long term harm from BP, and thus your skin might get quite a lot better.

My skin cleared when I changed my diet. I'd stopped using acne topicals long before as they never helped. And I later stopped using all soap except for hand washing a couple of years ago. It's not necessary, a waste of money, and does more harm than good to your skin and the environment.

I use oatmeal (gluten free that is) to wash my face, but it didn't cure me of acne, diet did.

Edited by bobbi364

I haven't been using any acne medications, washes or creams for a year now. My skin seems to be getting a little better. All I do is take good care of my skin now, I don't use anything harsh at all. I use gentle cleansers and moisturisers, exfoliate 3 times a weeks and do a clay mask 3 times a week. It works for me.

I started since I posted my skin has improved, I just have a little a little bump on my chin from a spot which I suppose was going to come up but just went back down, but apart from that my skin is fine, I use Simple face wash and Olay moisturiser that's it :) no acne treatment.

stopping all acne products was the best thing I ever did for my skin. That and eating incredibly healthy. Harsh acne products are just stripping away your natural acid mantle making your skin vulnerable for sorts of infections. Then people are using those products usually twice a day allowing your skin no time to heal itself, your skin then becomes dependent on the product, unable to defend itself, which is why it will get bad before its get better when you quit everything.

I used 2 prescription creams (1 in the morning and one at night) every day for two years. They worked really well for 2 years but around 3 months ago they started working less and less, and 2 months ago my face was TERRIBLE. I changed my diet and everything, and my acne has gotten down to maybe 50-60% of what it was before. I stopped using the creams cold turkey last week, and I didn't get any initial breakout, nothing really happened. I guess the cream already stopped working lol, so it made no difference on my skin when I stopped. I also stopped washing my face with soap, I only wash with water 2-3 times a day and I think my face has gotten less oily because of it. So many of people use all of these products, all of this oil cleansing and exfoliating and all that, too complicated for me and I would probably get lazy. So I don't put anything on my face, the skin is supposed to naturally regulate itself, I just focus on curing my acne on the inside through diet.

it depends, i gues! some skin irritation, desease or acne perhaps really needs some attention otherwise it'll grow much worse. depending on the age bracket.. if still belong in teen bracket then you might wanna take a break on those meds but if your kinda early 20's up, be cautious of your skin and start taking it seriously

I have tried this many times without success. My acne always comes back with a vengance. I think everyone is different and what is termed acne may be just a reaction to diet or ingredients for some people. For these people avoiding certain foods or not using any acne products is better for their skin...irritation and the acne-like eruptions cease. Some people simply outgrow their acne in their 20's or 30's --- their hormones stabilize finally and the sebum production lowers eneough for their pores to not plug up. During this time they discover their skin no longer needs acne products to stay clear. Getting off acne products is not what stopped their acne...growing older did that.

For other people there really is a problem with how their skin functions. They may be hyper-sensitive to androgens or have pores that don't shed properly or plug up easily, or over produce sebum, etc. This has nothing to do with how old they are and they often suffer with acne all their lives. My derm says he has patients in their 80's with acne. For us using some form of acne product is necessary to maintain clear skin. Diet helps. Using the least harsh products helps with overall inflammation. But we still have to use something.

I wish there was one easy answer for everyone. But there isn't. It takes a lot of trial and error. It never hurts to try avoiding all acne products or to try diets, etc. Just don't feel like you have failed if these don't work and you continue breaking out. For me it took years before I finally admitted to myself that I had to use some mainstream methods if I wanted to be clear. Now I have clear skin. I realize that it is like anything in life. If I had diabetes I would take my medication. I don't think it is any different with acne. If you need medication then use it. Don't fret. Feel good for the folks whose acne cleared up by using nothing or just with diet...yeah for them! Always remember that we all are blessed in different ways. All of us get breaks in life...they are just different.

i am right there now. stopping to use anything.

whatever I put on my skin just fudges it up completely.....

got clear through cavemen regimen, and made the mistake of applying hydrating cream...

wanted it to be perfect, without debris and dead skin cells.....

result... 14 pustules the next day. That was last week.

I am still having 5 pustules with whiteheads on my cheek, which I am hoping will go soon. But they seem to want to stay.

Less is best indeed.

For me no. I still eat paleo because I believe it's healthier, but didn't help acne. I also gave the caveman thing an honest go, but no dice.

I think of it like this...doing nothing assumes that you have the base state to be acne-free to begin with. I don't think I ever did. The same way I was born with bad teeth. I went through years of orthodontia to straighten them out. I also brush and floss three times a day. Now they look better than many people who didn't need braces...but had I left them to their own devices I'd be sitting here with little nubs worn down from my "natural" cross bite.

I've had acne since age 12. I don't believe I ever had the right hormonal state to have clear skin naturally.

Edited by Green Gables