Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My dermatologist told me to use SPF in the AM no matter what the weather outside.

But I forgot to ask if SPF 15 is enough for daily living while on Accutane? I live in Seattle and it can get very sunny in the Summer, but otherwise it's overcast.

I was thinking of using the Boscia spf 15 restorative day cream because I LOVE Boscia products. They are so clean and elegant. This one is formulated for dry skin as well.

Otherwise, I was considering DDF spf 45 or Ole Henrickson protect the truth spf 50, but the Ole H has fragrance which I hate, and I'm not sure they will be moisturizing enough.

I used to use Neutrogena sunscreens but I hate those ever since using Boscia. Unless you know of one that doesn't suck.

Should I get the higher DDF SPF for when I'm spending lots of time outside hiking or biking?

What do ya'll use?!

Edited by ginanutrition

TBH, I haven't used spf yet! Which is wrong, but I've never worn it a day in my life so I'm afraid to pick on out and have a bad reaction, my skin is very sensitive. VERY VERY VERY. BUT your derm is right, I was outside for a half hour total and about 10 minutes in the car (you still can get sun through the windshield) and my face had a red tint for a few days. Just before Accutane, I could go an hour or two in the sun without burning, it's crazyyy! Your derm will know spf sunscreens that are for acne-prone skin and aren't too greasy or harsh. I know Obagi has a sunscreen spf 70 I believe, I used it once and it did work amazing, it's my moms and is pretty pricey, but it'll protect you all day and sinks right in. It doesn't leave that white sheen either, but I won't buy it for myself because I am cheap as fack.

Guest *Spiro*

I use a 30 SPF it's in my CeraVe am moisturizer. Love the stuff. I was able to walk around florida 5 days in a row with not a cloud in the sky and didn't burn at all, I use the same in my body 30 spf

Sweet! Thanks!

I told the sales associate at Sephora that I love Boscia, so she recommended layering the Boscia BB Cream spf 27 over the Boscia Vital Daily Moisture spf 15 to get more protection. I've never used a BB cream before, but a lot of people claim it is soothing and helps cover up a little?

I'm excited! Hope it doesn't ball up over my pimples like some tinted moisturizers do. :D

If all else fails, I may try the Cerave AM since a lot of people recommend it and it's less expensive.

Guest *Spiro*

Sounds like a plan! I am thinking the SPF 27 is good on its own. I think if you start layering you are going to have problems with the balling up. I could be wrong though give it a shot! Nothing to lose :)

Sounds like a plan! I am thinking the SPF 27 is good on its own. I think if you start layering you are going to have problems with the balling up. I could be wrong though give it a shot! Nothing to lose smile.png

Ohhh, good point. that's why I need my Accutane friends--to help me solve these skincare conundrums. :) I am slightly afraid of that. But the BB cream on its own is not moisturizing enough. It's oil-free and slightly mattifying, I think. :( I'll see how it goes layering. The BB cream may have to go back if it balls up on my face, in exchange for just a moisturizer with higher SPF.

I swear though, I can't wait to not have to worry about layering and products and covering up and blah blah blah. CLEAR HEALTHY SKIN is my new mantra.

Also, just curious. Do you wear any makeup? Powder? Or do you just go out barefaced? The thought of not wearing mineral powder frightens me. I don't think I've gone a day without wearing it for a few years now.

Guest *Spiro*

Sounds like a plan! I am thinking the SPF 27 is good on its own. I think if you start layering you are going to have problems with the balling up. I could be wrong though give it a shot! Nothing to lose smile.png

Ohhh, good point. that's why I need my Accutane friends--to help me solve these skincare conundrums. :) I am slightly afraid of that. But the BB cream on its own is not moisturizing enough. It's oil-free and slightly mattifying, I think. :( I'll see how it goes layering. The BB cream may have to go back if it balls up on my face, in exchange for just a moisturizer with higher SPF.

I swear though, I can't wait to not have to worry about layering and products and covering up and blah blah blah. CLEAR HEALTHY SKIN is my new mantra.

I can't wait to not worry about products at all! Although being on accutane you use much less products than you did before. In my case anyways!

If you do have problems with the BB I would exchange it for CeraVe AM I love the stuff. My skin breakout from everything and I mean everything and this stuff has been great. Same with the moisturizing cream from them. Oh my god it's a dream in a tub lol

TBH, I haven't used spf yet! Which is wrong, but I've never worn it a day in my life so I'm afraid to pick on out and have a bad reaction, my skin is very sensitive. VERY VERY VERY. BUT your derm is right, I was outside for a half hour total and about 10 minutes in the car (you still can get sun through the windshield) and my face had a red tint for a few days. Just before Accutane, I could go an hour or two in the sun without burning, it's crazyyy! Your derm will know spf sunscreens that are for acne-prone skin and aren't too greasy or harsh. I know Obagi has a sunscreen spf 70 I believe, I used it once and it did work amazing, it's my moms and is pretty pricey, but it'll protect you all day and sinks right in. It doesn't leave that white sheen either, but I won't buy it for myself because I am cheap as fack.

Thanks for the recommendation! My derm told me Aveeno was good, but personally I do not like their fragranced grossness. No, sir. I want to like it, but nope! Not happenin'. So I feel you on hating sunscreen.

However, I have worn sunscreen since I was 16 since I grew up in Florida. smile.png I have to say that 12 years of religiously wearing at least spf 15 everyday has kept me quite young looking. It also doesn't help that I have braces on my teeth again at age 28. HAhaha Braces and pimples! People think I'm like 19.

Moral of the story is, you are still young, so it is suuuuuper important to wear your sunscreen even on overcast days. Try different ones. Find one you like. Cerave AM is good, so is Peter Thomas Roth spf 30 cream, Boscia spf 15 vital daily, and obviously the one from your Mom if you liked it. :)

Ohhh, good point. that's why I need my Accutane friends--to help me solve these skincare conundrums. smile.png I am slightly afraid of that. But the BB cream on its own is not moisturizing enough. It's oil-free and slightly mattifying, I think. sad.png I'll see how it goes layering. The BB cream may have to go back if it balls up on my face, in exchange for just a moisturizer with higher SPF.

I can't wait to not worry about products at all! Although being on accutane you use much less products than you did before. In my case anyways!

If you do have problems with the BB I would exchange it for CeraVe AM I love the stuff. My skin breakout from everything and I mean everything and this stuff has been great. Same with the moisturizing cream from them. Oh my god it's a dream in a tub lol

Sorry, I edited my last post so I don't know if you saw it: but do you wear makeup at all? Or are you just forgoing it to reduce irritation? I have a hard time giving up my mineral powder. :(

Edited by ginanutrition

Well right now the Cetaphil moisturizing lotion is working for me, so I'll give the Cetaphil AM one a go, I just realized I have that one! WOOHOO!

Personally, I don't wear foundation, eyeliner and mascara yes, but no foundation. I used to, everyday, all day. But my boyfriend helped me find the confidence to go barefaced, so yeeeah. BUT, I did wear it on Prom last saturday and it lasted all night with the dancing and everything. Moisturize underneath if you're going to, and don't use a foundation that says mattifying alone without moisturizer.With moisturizer I'd probably be fine, but I still have a foundation that is creamy, and with spf so on very special occasions I will use it. I try to let my skin breath as much as possible though.

Yay someone's awake the same time I am :D

Hehe totally! Except I'm on the West Coast, so it's not crazy late for me yet. Seattle feels weird like that sometimes--like we're vampires awake in the night when everyone else is sleeping. Bwahaha (OK. I admit it. I like those Twilight movies!!!)