Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OPeggyGordon

What Is 'low Does " Accutane, Anybody Been On It?

hello loves,

I always swore Id never take accutane an Im really not strongly considering it...but Id like some info. My skin isnt horrible, I dont have severe acne but it is enough to make me read people's accutane logs.

The thing is Im so oily an especially lately. I think if I just got rid of some of the oil Id be much better. Can a derm put you on a low dose of accutane, Ive heard that sometimes the do this to minimise side effects.

Please if anybody has done this let me know Im curious. Im 167.64cm an around 58 kilos.

Low dose is just that. Its a low dose treatment. Your dose of Accutane is based on your weight.

Some will get more of the drug per day then others if they weigh in heavier as there body needs

more medication to essently dry them, from the inside out.

Low dose is not usually prescribed. The reason being is that people who do the full treatment at

the maximum aloud lvls of meds, are the ones with a higher chance of success and the lowest chance of

recurrence once the treatment is complete.

Low dose is prescribed mostly when one of the two situations happens.

The person simply cant take the side effects any more that the Accutane is giving

them at there maximum aloud lvls and the dose needs to drop

or,

you have been on Accutane already once or twice and the only way to keep the results is

to do weekly maintenance. IE taking one pill a week instead of 1 or 2 pills a day.

Not saying that you cant ask your derma for it, but for the most part with Accutane...

your either in ... or your out. There's not much in between. If this is your first course

of Accutane.. a low dose treatment will likely not do much in the way of long term results

nor will it be very effective.

Edited by Zraden

I'm on 30mg a day which is considered to be a low dose.

It's quite common for people to start on a low dose for the first month or so, and then ramp it up to a higher dose during the course.

This is stuff you should talk with your dermatologist about. He or she will make a decision based on your weight in kg and the severity of your acne.

Low dose is just that. Its a low dose treatment. Your dose of Accutane is based on your weight.

Some will get more of the drug per day then others if they weigh in heavier as there body needs

more medication to essently dry them, from the inside out.

Low dose is not usually prescribed. The reason being is that people who do the full treatment at

the maximum aloud lvls of meds, are the ones with a higher chance of success and the lowest chance of

recurrence once the treatment is complete.

Low dose is prescribed mostly when one of the two situations happens.

The person simply cant take the side effects any more that the Accutane is giving

them at there maximum aloud lvls and the dose needs to drop

or,

you have been on Accutane already once or twice and the only way to keep the results is

to do weekly maintenance. IE taking one pill a week instead of 1 or 2 pills a day.

Not saying that you cant ask your derma for it, but for the most part with Accutane...

your either in ... or your out. There's not much in between. If this is your first course

of Accutane.. a low dose treatment will likely not do much in the way of long term results

nor will it be very effective.

explained that very well, ty.

I'm on 30mg a day which is considered to be a low dose.

It's quite common for people to start on a low dose for the first month or so, and then ramp it up to a higher dose during the course.

This is stuff you should talk with your dermatologist about. He or she will make a decision based on your weight in kg and the severity of your acne.

Im not even sure my acne would be considered for accutane it is pretty mild, I am more concerned over oil production so maybe there is another method other than accutane. Im just musing, ty for the post.

My acne is not severe either and I've been put on accutane 20mg/day for 10months .. low dose minimise the side effects and the recurrence !

I know what you mean about the oil! It's so nice to have your makeup not glide off at the end of the day. You can ask your derm about prescribing 1-2 pills per week. It ahs worked wonders for me.. I'm currently taking 1 pill per week, but in times of stress and during my period, i take 2. You can titrate it yourself. All the best!