Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advice From Accutane User?

Hi, I know this should be in the prescription meds section, but I wanted advice from people using accutane recently or now..

so just a little about me.. Pre january 23, 2012, all i had was very minor closed comedones, .. enough to go to the docs.. no hugh pimples, just closed comedones.. i was prescribed differin/doxy/topical antibiotic.. btw, i never had acne my whole life.. maybe a few bumps but nothing major at all.

fastforward to May 4, my face is FU*KED. well idk how bad.. but a lot worse.. my face is very bumpy.. i have couple of fleshy swelled bumps (cystic?) and a lot more bumps (but to be honest, I have a lot of PIH so idk if its scars healing or if its closed comedones).. my cheeks and jaw area is messed up now... darkspots and very bumpy.

i went in to the doc and let him know i am very unconfident this is working so he said.. the only way to go is accutane.. i need to get my blood test, etc before he'll let me know..

i am VERY angry because prior to differin.. my acne wasnt that bad. the biggest mistake ever was going on differin..

now, i havent used any products on my face for 1 week (even tho he gave me epidu.. i dont wanna use anything for a bit) and i dont think its getting better at all...

my friend who used it raves about accutane.. i'm nervous of using accutane because im afraid that the oral retinoid wont work for me and my face will get much worse just as it did for differin..

plus, my self esteem sucks right now and idk if i can take another 3-4 months of living hell of IB.

i guess i just need some inspiration to use it..

please help me.. thanks

I can pretty much guarantee that accutane will work. I don't think you necessarily need to take accutane if you've only had acne for 4 months. I would probably try a course of antiobiotics and some benzoyl peroxide to clear this up before I jumped straight to Accutane. Accutane is a really big process and can be extremely expensive if you do not have low-deductible health insurance. I think this derm gave you bad advice.

I just thought I would mention that differin and topical tretinoin didn't work for me and tretinoin made my acne worse. I'd probably stop the topicals and just continue the antibiotic.

Edited by sd85

I went on Accutane my senior year of high school after trying everything in the book to clear up my acne. Things would work for a little while but my acne would never completely clear up. I felt the same way you do...low self esteem and was so embarrassed to leave the house some days. It was awful so I finally decided I just needed to do Accutane. This stuff cleared me up. It wasn't always the easiest process but to me it was worth every single negative side effect! Compared to a lot of stories I heard of people on Accutane, I think it went pretty smoothly. My skin was super oily to begin with so the Accutane actually made my skin normal! I loved that part of it! The worst part was probably my dry lips and eyes. I wear contacts so it really dried out my eyes. I just used lots of drops through out the day and used Aquaphor for my dry lips which worked really well. I am 25 now and still get the occasional breakouts but my acne has never come close to what I had back in high school.

So for me, Accutane was a life saver. I was able to have a great college experience and not have to worry about my stupid acne all the time! It's hard to say how your experience would be since everyones body reacts differently but I agree with the previous post that maybe you should try a few other options before taking the Accutane plunge. It sounds like the regimen and acne.org products are very promising so maybe give that a try?

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!

I can pretty much guarantee that accutane will work. I don't think you necessarily need to take accutane if you've only had acne for 4 months. I would probably try a course of antiobiotics and some benzoyl peroxide to clear this up before I jumped straight to Accutane. Accutane is a really big process and can be extremely expensive if you do not have low-deductible health insurance. I think this derm gave you bad advice.

I just thought I would mention that differin and topical tretinoin didn't work for me and tretinoin made my acne worse. I'd probably stop the topicals and just continue the antibiotic.

its only been 4 months, but it had gotten pretty bad.. i guess bad enough for acccutane..

just a question.. so when you stopped the tretinoin and differin.. did you skin get better? i was thinking id stop all retinoids.. stick with OTC things like BP and maybe some AHA and see what happens in a month, but of course, if i do accutane, i want t do asap..

thanks.

its only been 4 months, but it had gotten pretty bad.. i guess bad enough for acccutane..

just a question.. so when you stopped the tretinoin and differin.. did you skin get better? i was thinking id stop all retinoids.. stick with OTC things like BP and maybe some AHA and see what happens in a month, but of course, if i do accutane, i want t do asap..

thanks.

My skin did get better with BP. I have always responded better to it than other topicals. I did accutane anyway though. I'm crystal clear now---haven't had a pimple in over 2 months.