Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
masterwong888

Oil Oil Oil!

Generally my skin gets really oily after I apply my differin gel topical treatment. At first the gel makes my face quite dry and I believe my skin compensates that by producing more oil. However, my skin is so stupid that it forgets to stop producing oil, it's like it forgot to switch the tap off and my face feels like an oil rig. So my face tends to be really oily when I wake up and really oily during the afternoon. I've read somewhere that I'm not suppose to wash my face anymore than 2 times aday otherwise it will irritate the skin. But, what else can I do to stop this oil leak?

are you using a moisturiser? even if you have oily skin it's still important to moisturise. you're right that because you're skin is dried out from differin, it compensates by producing oil but my understanding is that by using a moisturiser your skin will eventually recognise that it doesn't need to produce as much oil... so the oiliness of your skin should reduce.

yeah - washing more than twice a day isn't advised because it can irritate the skin and just make acne worse. so to deal with oil during the day you can use oil blotting sheets to blot the oil off the skin.

:think: It's probably the normalization of cell turnover that prevents your pores from getting blocked, and now the sebum can flow out more easily. As far as I know, Adapalene/Differin isn't responsible for increased sebum production, if anything (and if it's able to penetrate your skin deep enough) it should reduce it over time. Sebum production itself doesn't have much to do with how many times you wash your face (unless maybe you use a specific face wash, containing ingredients that target the sebaceous glands), your skin will not compensate by increasing sebum production. Sebum doesn't have much to do with how moisturized your skin is, either, though it may feel that way. Hydration is about water (basically), not sebum. However, washing too much can lead to irritation and dehydration, I'd stick with 2 times a day. There are several options to try and reduce sebum production, I just posted something in another thread (here), and there's many topics addressing the issue. Good luck in finding something that works for you!

Generally my skin gets really oily after I apply my differin gel topical treatment. At first the gel makes my face quite dry and I believe my skin compensates that by producing more oil. However, my skin is so stupid that it forgets to stop producing oil, it's like it forgot to switch the tap off and my face feels like an oil rig.

Your skin doesn't "compensate" for anything by producing more oil. What affects how much oil it produces? HORMONES, especially androgens and estrogens. Don't be fooled by other people who say that it's affected by simple things like washing the skin, or moisture in the skin. Those ideas are simply ridiculous.

There are threads on this website that recommend calamine lotion for pimples and oil control. I use Mario Badescu's Drying mask which contains calamine. I highly recommend it. It keeps my oil under control throught the day. They recommend using it 2-3 times a week but I have very oily skin so I use it every night, and it never leaves my skin feeling dry!