Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alporich

Lactic or tca peels?

I've heard a lot of good things about both the lactic peels and the tca peels. I'm interested in buying some for home use and was wondering which brands work best. Also, for anyone who has tried any of them, which one do you think is best for hyperpigmentation? I know I can't expect the rid it 100% but I want to try. So any information and help on this topic would be great. I hear tca peels are good but I also hear that lactic peels are pretty good as well.

I forgot to mention that I have medium skin tone. I'm filipino and I have a kind of olive, light brownish tone. I'm trying to do the peel on my back, not my face. I've researched it on the internet and some articles say it's ok to use lactic or tca peels but others say it might not be great on my skin tone. Anyone have any advice. I don't know which peel would be better. I want whatever is best for hyperpigmentation.

Hi, You should probably avoid TCA, unless it was a very mild formula. Say 10% or less. Maybe you could use a stronger one but I don't feel comfortable recommending it. 40% or more lactic peels should be fine. The brands don't matter as long as it seems like a trustworthy company. One thing anyone should know about peels, though: ALWAYS DO A TEST PATCH FIRST.

There is a medical study though that you should read, it's called:

Medium-Depth Chemical Peels in the Treatment of Acne Scars in Dark-Skinned Individuals

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...t_uids=12030868

Thanks oldguy. I think I'll just get a lactic peel then, I hear more good things about lactic than I do about mandelic or glycolic. If I do decide to do a tca, I'll consult my dermatologist before hand (that's only if the lactic peel doesn't work).

Cool. I do have a suggestion, I have some 40% lactic and it seems a bit mild. You could possible buy some stronger and "cut" it with water if your skin is tough. I guess mine is from shaving and using BP for years. Once you get the 40% though you can't make it stronger. (Without mad scientist or Mcguyver type knowledge!)

I have only used Lactic Acid and therefore I cannot comment on TCA Peels. You can do a search on the board for TCA Peel and see what others have to say about their experiences with it. If I were in your position, I'd try the Lactic Acid peels first.

Thanks, I think that's what I'm going to do. I have read that the TCA peels can work better becauxe they are much stronger but the risk of hyperpigmentation and other side effects is stronger. My whole purpose is to get rid of the hyperpigmentation and I dont' want to make it worse. How were your results with the lactic peel. Which one did you use and what did you use it for?

That's exactly what I have read about TCA peels.

The lactic acid peels have improved the tone and texture of my skin. I have used the 40% and 55% from makeupartistschoice.com - both are fairly mild.

I've used both those peels but prefer the 50% 2.0 PH lactic peel from LauraChem. It's actually stronger than the MUAC 55% peel but still fairly mild.

Sorry, I misspelled it. It's LaraChem, not LauraChem.

http://www.larachem.com/

Their 50% lactic peel seems to have a bit more "bite" (lower PH) and leaves my skin silky smooth. It's also much cheaper than the MUAC 55% peel (compare the bottle sizes).

Do you think that this peel would be better for hyperpigmentation, compared to other peels? I want some advice from people because I don't want to buy the lactic peel if it's not going to be strong enough, I don't want to waste the money. The hyperpigmentation is on my back.

50% lactic isn't strong enough for the back. TCA 12.5% will work better.

For the face, lactic works pretty well.

Lactic is good for beginner peelers and at the lower concentrations is not risky to use, in my opinion. However, still be careful. As oldguy said, do a test patch and start low and work your way up. And do NOT leave it on for longer than the instructions recommend. 1 to 3 minutes tops is usually the recommendation. Start at the lowest time. Otherwise, you could overdo it.

People's skins vary, so if you haven't peeled before, start small. For example, interestingly enough, my damn skin is so tough that 85% lactic with a pH of .28 is like a mild peel to me. 40% lactic is too much for others. So don't underestimate any acid unless you're a veteran (I've done more peels of more types than I care to admit). The search for elusive perfection continues...

Good luck.

~Kat

Thanks for all your replies. Now, just to make sure, I intend to read the instructions of course, but what exactly is the process for tca peel. I'm going to order for MUAC. From what I understand you clean the area first, apply the peel, wait a few minutes then wash it off. Now after that what do you do? And if I'm missing anything please let me know. I ask because sometimes people find different ways than it says in the instructions.