Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kevinn

How To Deal With Benzoyl Peroxide Dryness

I am on day 8 of the regimen and the dryness and redness is so frustrating and agitating because the regimen works so good. I have been following the regimen precisely with Dan's products and even working my way up with the bp but it's just too harsh for my sensitive skin. I was thinking of how to get around this and my idea is:

Morning: Cleanser, Moisturizer

Night: Cleanser, BP, Moisturizer

(I want to do this so my skin won't be dry at school)

Then on saturday and sunday I'll do the treatment exactly.

I mean 5 days a week with half the bp can't completely ruin the regimen,right?

Keep in mind my skin is pretty much clear, and less dry skin= less acne

Tell me what you think or if you have a suggestion. Thanks :)

I wouldn't take the morning off I would just reduce the BP for a while until your skin get's used to it. like in the morning use half what your using now then gradually build up. Also, make sure you wait before applying BP cuz if your skin is wet it will cause extra redness and irrititation.

There really isn't going to be an exact time frame anyone could really give you. Everyone's skin is different. Some people can work up to a higher dosage much faster than others. You will basically have to play it by ear and gradually increase your dosage. If, at any point, you notice that your skin is drying out again, take that as a hint that you're going too fast. If you dry your skin out, it may look ok for a short time, but dry skin is not healthy skin and it will catch up to you.

I have the same problem. Im on day 5. MY skin was getting way way to dry, I think its because I was using BP morning and night, even at small amounts, i think it was just to much.

So this morning I didn't apply BP and my skin feels much better, still very dry, but a lot better.

For now i might stick to just night times until the dryness improves

macqwerty, aside from dryness did you have any new blemishes or breakouts from not using it in the morning or did you see any improvement in your acne?(assuming you do have some blemishes in the nicest way possible haha surprised.gif )

So if you experience flakiness, that's a sign you are experiencing dryness and so you should not increase the dosage until that subsides? I have tried to be gradual with increasing the dosage. Day 13 and I'm at 1.25 pumps. However I am experiencing flakiness. It seems to come from the cleanser... minutes after I use it my skin is super flaky. The bp is just causing some redness.

macqwerty, aside from dryness did you have any new blemishes or breakouts from not using it in the morning or did you see any improvement in your acne?(assuming you do have some blemishes in the nicest way possible haha surprised.gif )

Nah mate I didn't. I was thinking like you are, I was/am reluctant to skip mornings because I fear if I do it will lead to more breakouts.

My skin has remained just the same really, just a lot less sore. As long as we put it on a night we will be fine I'm sure :)

My plan at the moment will be for tonight and tomorrow night just use the BP as more of a spot treatment so that some of the other dry skin can heal a little bit.

I wil let you know how it goes :)

So if you experience flakiness, that's a sign you are experiencing dryness and so you should not increase the dosage until that subsides? I have tried to be gradual with increasing the dosage. Day 13 and I'm at 1.25 pumps. However I am experiencing flakiness. It seems to come from the cleanser... minutes after I use it my skin is super flaky. The bp is just causing some redness.

What cleanser are you using pal?

Nah mate I didn't. I was thinking like you are, I was/am reluctant to skip mornings because I fear if I do it will lead to more breakouts.

My skin has remained just the same really, just a lot less sore. As long as we put it on a night we will be fine I'm sure smile.png

My plan at the moment will be for tonight and tomorrow night just use the BP as more of a spot treatment so that some of the other dry skin can heal a little bit.

I wil let you know how it goes smile.png

What cleanser are you using pal?

Using all the acne.org - cleanser, treatment, moisturizer

Just to chime in here... Dryness and flaking is normal for the first few months on DKR... Just be sure not to push ramping up BP just yet as it seems you guys are still in the early stages... Be sure to moisturize heavily during this time as its crucial for combating some of the irritating you are experiencing at the moment.. When in doubt and more moisturizer, it never hurts and will help your skin adjust to high concentrations of BP.. Good luck on your clear skin journey and keep us up to date on your progress... :)