Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aghimes

First Week Of Accutane, Hell Already, ?!

it took two months to get this miracle drug in my hands, I finally have it and was so excited. a week ago I had one cystic zit and several manageable small ones. today, a week later, I have 5 cystic pimples, four on one check!, some large pimples, and many many small ones, clogged pores, etc. I've never had this before. ever. idk what's happening, initial breakout maybe but from what I've read people say nothing happens the first week, so does this mean it gets worse from here? I've ditched school and work a bunch in the last week from embarrassment. today I have work and Im about to cry from not wanting to go so badly, customer service for nine hours, & if you have acne, you know how much lighting means right? it has the most awful lighting for breakouts. . I feel so ugly. and sad. and ugly!

I can't handle this, but I have to, I want what other people have at the end of this treatment so badly!

FYI: my doc put me on 30mg/twice a day, everyday. my friend who had much worse acne (than I did a week ago anyways) was on 40mg a day, could this be why I (possibly) have a monstrous IB?!

blahhhh life!

Hi there.. Today marks one week on 80mg Claravis (40mg twice a day) I am not having any breakouts.. BUT It sounds like i started off with more troubled spots than you did. I didn't have any 'zits' but had 5 cysts to start with. two you can't really see... two that are OPEN wounds? and one that is just ... welll ugly LOL. this morning when i woke up tho my chin feels bumpy? It doesn't LOOK any different but it sure feels like something is going on. YAY.. LOL. Sorry you have to go to work in bad lighting.. Boy dont I know how much crap lighting can ruin a day... Keep your head up... just think of the BIG picture and that 'awesome' skin we are supposed to have at the end of this.

its different for everyone. ive been on it twice the first time i was on 30mg and suffered no initial breakout, second time 40mg and suffered a pretty bad one. one cyst is still visible as a red mark it was that big and i got it nearly two months ago! but it will go down. persevere. annoying but worth it in the long run

don't worry, the process is different for everyone :)

I began my IB early like you and it lasted for about 2 months. (not trying to scare you, yours probably won't last that long, I just had a F-in horrid one)

you'll get through this and in a couple months your skin will only be improving :)

maybe if it gets worse take a few days off for yourself, get comfy, relax. Most important thing is not to stress! that's what really messed with me in my course.

try to look into my log, you might find some useful advice/experience. btw im on 40mg a day, and i was on 10mg then to 20mg and then to 30mg for about 1.5months before getting to 40. I will NOT be going higher. Don't even want to.

<3 you are not ugly !

just re-continued accutane on friday, 40mg Claravis. I guess im one of the lucky ones because i didnt experience an IB. I think because my acne is caused by my super oily skin. But chill out. 5 cysts is not bad, it'll get better.

Edited by Nelo18

I started mine nearly a month ago and at about a week in, I had several cysts appear and many white heads. It was not pleasant - especially since I had two class presentations that week >.>

The good news is that it gets better. My acne has been greatly reduced since the initial breakout, which lasted about a week for me.

It's a war against acne. Stick in there smile.png

Edited by White Stang

Im too on the first week of accutane, I heard end result is amazing so gotta hang in there.

However Im starting to get dry lips and 1 new back cyst since treatment started , im on 40mg twice a day. Im exfoliating twice a day and applying clindamycin once a day. Im starting to notice my triceps are getting a bit dryer and scaly.

Also I was on Differin for at least 6 months before Accutane, which differin did help a lil bit but still had those reoccuring cyst coming back for vengance.

Guest *Spiro*

Im too on the first week of accutane, I heard end result is amazing so gotta hang in there.

However Im starting to get dry lips and 1 new back cyst since treatment started , im on 40mg twice a day. Im exfoliating twice a day and applying clindamycin once a day. Im starting to notice my triceps are getting a bit dryer and scaly.

Also I was on Differin for at least 6 months before Accutane, which differin did help a lil bit but still had those reoccuring cyst coming back for vengance.

Interesting that your still using the clindamycin and exfoliating. My doctor told me I cannot use clindamycin and to just let the accutane do it's job. It's strong enough on its own. Also exfoliating I have seen is a big no no. I assume as my skin starts to flake off I will exfoliated in some shape or form. I'm not one to walk around town with dead skin hanging in my face :D

Interesting that your still using the clindamycin and exfoliating. My doctor told me I cannot use clindamycin and to just let the accutane do it's job. It's strong enough on its own. Also exfoliating I have seen is a big no no. I assume as my skin starts to flake off I will exfoliated in some shape or form. I'm not one to walk around town with dead skin hanging in my face biggrin.png

I was told the same, to just wash my face with a wet wash cloth and stop using ointments and face washes. Just water and lotion is what I use now.

Interesting that your still using the clindamycin and exfoliating. My doctor told me I cannot use clindamycin and to just let the accutane do it's job. It's strong enough on its own. Also exfoliating I have seen is a big no no. I assume as my skin starts to flake off I will exfoliated in some shape or form. I'm not one to walk around town with dead skin hanging in my face biggrin.png

I was told the same, to just wash my face with a wet wash cloth and stop using ointments and face washes. Just water and lotion is what I use now.

I chemical exfoliate, using Dans AHA, that gets all the dry skin off. Scrubbing is bad period. It can aggravate acne and make oily skin oilier.

Guest *Spiro*

I chemical exfoliate, using Dans AHA, that gets all the dry skin off. Scrubbing is bad period. It can aggravate acne and make oily skin oilier.

I was wondering what the best way to exfoliate would be. Maybe just a wash cloth. Hope I can avoid a lot of the flaking skin by moisturizing the hell out of my face.

I am so jealous of everyone that doesnt experience an IB. this is the worst thing...I officially have the worst acne i have had in my 6 years of fighting acne. Worse than when it first went out of control. Worse than stopping antibiotics. I am really down about this. I feel like it is not working, and i will be left with a bunch of scars. i didnt even know how cluster-y acne could be until now. and it is ALL OVER. I thought i was self-conscious before taking accutane, but now its so bad i dont even have enough energy to be super down about it. i guess i do. damn it, this just sucks.

please tell me this gets better.......

:(

BAD DAY TODAY.

Guest *Spiro*

It will get better! Don't worry give your face a couple more weeks and it will settle down!

I am so jealous of everyone that doesnt experience an IB. this is the worst thing...I officially have the worst acne i have had in my 6 years of fighting acne. Worse than when it first went out of control. Worse than stopping antibiotics. I am really down about this. I feel like it is not working, and i will be left with a bunch of scars. i didnt even know how cluster-y acne could be until now. and it is ALL OVER. I thought i was self-conscious before taking accutane, but now its so bad i dont even have enough energy to be super down about it. i guess i do. damn it, this just sucks.

please tell me this gets better.......

sad.png

BAD DAY TODAY.

It does get better. I experienced the IB and it was horrible. I'm talking several cysts and dozens of whiteheads. I also had 2 in-class presentations during that time. Plus I'm a male so I don't use any makeup. It sucked but I'm finally past it and I'm sure you will be too :)

Are you using any kind of washes or chemicals on your face?

I'm having my IB too! Yay for cycling? lol. I'm trying to stay positive, but it is difficult. Plus I have a cold, so my face is just all kinds of mess, ugh. It's hard to face the world like this, but think how beautiful we will both be in 4-6 months!

It would be pretty surprising if it wasn't working at 60 mgs a day. The fact that you are more broken out than before does indicate that it is doing something. Most people seem to have an IB from what I have read on here, though it doesn't seem to be represented on this thread. Do you have any side effects? That's a pretty clear sign that it's working.

white stang: you've completed a course then it sounds like? I just can't even imagine being clear after this.. i use zen med's acne treatment but only on spots and only at night, other than that I just use lotion & sometimes a avocado honey aspirin face mask.

Betty lee: I have a minimal amount of dryness, my hands are dry and my lips are intensely dry. my nose has been literally peeling. okay so I guess I am really dry. I like it so much better than oily as crazy as it may sound. for now at least. besides that my back aches a bit and my period was later which never happens, so those are my only side effects besides Terrible Massible breakouts..

lol, thanks for making me a bit more positive.. I played hooky at work today, like so many days in the last 3 weeks (woopsies) so I feel majorly relieved I dont have to be in people's faces. I just hope that in at least two weeks this turns around and goes the opposite direction. I can't even wash my face when I spend the night at a friends or even my boyfriends.. it's so embarrassing.

I want a time machine.

Hey.

Congratulations on starting Accutane!

Don't worry about IB. I know how you feel and I understand how ugly you may feel. But hey - its all for good! Your body is getting rid of all bad stuff inside you and you will see results very soon. I had horrible IB very fast, like after 2 weeks, I think. Month 2 was really bad, I was pretty upset and didnt want to go out of house. But already in my 3rd month, my skin started clearing! I started Accutane last year in August, and can say - time passed so fast. Accutane was best decision I ever made. So sad I didnt do it years ago!

Melinda

white stang: you've completed a course then it sounds like? I just can't even imagine being clear after this.. i use zen med's acne treatment but only on spots and only at night, other than that I just use lotion & sometimes a avocado honey aspirin face mask.

No, I am on my 40th day of accutane (wow it goes fast). The first 30 days were 40mg then I was bumped up to 60mg. But my initial breakout lasted about 1.5-2 weeks then it started clearing up and has been mostly clear since then, but new pimples do pop up occasionally.

The reason I asked about the washes and chemicals was because I was told by my derm specifically not to use any chemicals on my face to treat acne. I even ditched a sulfar-based face wash that my derm prescribed to me previously. So I am only using moisturizer and water (wet washcloth) on my face now. However, I am a guy that does not wear makeup, so I don't need to think about having to wash it off every day. It couldn't hurt to ask your dermatologist about what he/she thinks of your current facial cleansing regimen.

Also, another thing I started doing since starting accutane is changing my pillow case frequently. I used to go for 2-3 weeks before changing it, but now change it every 3-5 days.

I had a pretty awful breakout too. Two actually. One just before I started Accutane (from stopping antibiotics), and then about a week in my IB properly started which was really horrible. I don't think I posted pictures of the worst times, but there's some on my log. For me it was really bad from about day 7-21. After that it has been getting progressively better. I think I'm on about day 40-42 now.

It got better for me though, like it does with everyone (and will for you too). I know it's really tough but you just have to stick with it and try not to think about it too much (which is basically impossible I know). Just don't lose hope! It will get better!

Hang in there. It will all be worth it in the end. I am at the end of my course and have not had a single zit in over a month. My skin is as clear as crystal and is the best it has looked since I was 11. Give it time. Just think how exciting it will be when your skin starts looking better in another week or two.

I'm experiencing an awful IB as well & I'm feeling awful about it. I am on day 10.

The key is being patient - which is MUCH easier said than done!

Just know that it can only get better! :)

The acne from a few days ago is healing, I feel like im almost just getting used to it though? lol..

It is insane how much lotion i have to put on, my face literally soaks it up over and over!

I had the oiliest skin a month ago, i had to dab my face every couple hours, consistently, otherwise there would be pools of oil in my pores.

I like the dryness, still. :o

I have one question for all you accutane-ers:

I have blackheads, all over my nose and some spread onto my cheecks but not as much. Does accutane push those out? I thought it was last week, and so i squeezed them all out and for a few days i thought that they were gone but i realized they came back-or something? Does accutane not do anything for blackheads?! :( I live in a super polluted city + oily skin so i have major blackheads...... & if not, does anyone have any tips for extracting them or anything like that?!?!?!

:)

P.S. today is day 24 of my treatment. I find out tomorrow about my blood tests :o

I have no reactions to report besides dryness though so i doubt anything is wrong.

when i do have anything to report ill let you all know.

i decided today that i am going on a detox today!!

all fruit and veggie smoothies for the next week!

accutane has made me feel gross so i am hoping that this will help me feel better about myself.

i havent been going to the gym for the last 2 months b/c i hate going with a pound of makeup on & i refuse to go without any, so, i

am positive that has been contributing to my feeling icky, but, there isn't a lot i can do besides excersize outside of the gym.. which..i should do..

starting today!

ur story sounds just like mine except way worse then 5 cysts.... i had about 50-70 active pimples a week from my initial breakout... im halfway through my 3rd month and still breaking out.... i try to find peace with myself when it gets me down. ive been hiding from people since i started this medicine. but i can tell the breakouts are getting less severe and i can see little improvement this month. month 4 will probably be my magic month. plus my initial brreakout started when i got my new job... i have to work with customers so it was gutrenching feeling everytime i had to go out to work/school. just be patient because when people see your perfect skin after accutane they will all be in shock

Edited by ghillieman24