Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mdawg202

whats a good cleanser made of?

whats the things to look for in one? right now I got the C&C blackhead scrub and a 2.5% bp wash (not proactiv's) unsure which one to use or both

o... thought the SA might've been better cause I'm using dans stuff which is bp. see no use washing with it and putting more on after.

Ok, immagine your face as a messy room. You need to vacumn your room (face), but there is too much stuff on the floor. the floor can't get vacumed if there is stuff all over it. So you need to pick up the stuff off the floor (SA does this). THEN vacumn it (BP does this)

SA: removes dirt, oil, and dead skin.

BP: Kills bacteria that causes acne on the skin.

I think the best cleanser is the one that doesn't contain any BHA or AHA ingredients in it. The purpose of a facial wash is to clean the face of dirt and what have you so something gentle would be best like Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. Use a cleanser for what is really made for. Unless it has anti-bacterial/microbial or germicide ingredient like BP or Triclosan or whatever, it really doesn't make sense to use SA or GA in a cleanser since they were made as a leave-on application in order to work as an exfoliant not to clean the face (you can use a toner that contains SA/GA after you use the cleanser). Washing it off after a minute will have no effect. Another thing to look for in a cleanser is something that has no to very low Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfate. If it's listed, make sure it's in the bottom half of the ingredient list since this will irritate sensitive skin in good amounts.

Note: If you use something with SLS in it, make sure you don't combine this with products that has TEA (TriEthanol Amine), MEA (MonoEthanol Amine), or DEA (DiEthanol Amine) because when mixed with these ingredients, it is known to potentially cause cancer.

i personally agree with jsbee, analogy was great, but that's me.

what's in a great cleanser is not a question easily answered.

there are many great cleansers out there. what works for some may not work for others.

Mdawg, best bet is for you to experiment. smile.gif