Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jenny P

Is Dry Skin Permanent?

I tried to research about dry skin but kept getting a strong answer.

Since using acne products on my face, my face is dry and rough feeling. It feels exactly like sandpaper when I touch it and when I look closely I have white flakes literally everywhere except for my eyelids.

I've been using jojoba oil but it is worthless because it just rubs off so easily and doesn't absorb in my skin because it's so dry. I'm trying vaseline lotion right now and so far my skin is still dry.

My skin just doesn't produce any oil to lubricate my face anymore, the natural oils in my skin have been stripped away, is this permanent?

What if I don't take a shower for a month, and never let water touch my face will my skin start producing oil?

I've had a dry skin problem for a long time and it is very severe. Pleaseee can some one helppp me im so lost on how to get rid of dry skin...I don't know what the best method to take is??

Does moisturizer actually work or is it a temporary fix?

Dry skin is absolutely not permanent as a result of acne products.

Acne products most commonly contain chemicals that are harsh on our skin, and therefore our skin has to adapt in order to cope in its new environment. This is why with frequent use of Benzoyl Peroxide and similar chemicals the redness and dryness begins to subside.

Everyone, oily or dry, acne prone or not should use a moisturiser. It's a means by aiding your skin in keeping healthy and moisturised. After-all, our skin is the largest organ in our body and we should take proper care of it. Acne sufferers should use light, oil free, non-comedogenic moisturisers with SPF.

Not showering for a month won't make your skin produce oil.

Dry skin is absolutely not permanent as a result of acne products.

Acne products most commonly contain chemicals that are harsh on our skin, and therefore our skin has to adapt in order to cope in its new environment. This is why with frequent use of Benzoyl Peroxide and similar chemicals the redness and dryness begins to subside.

Everyone, oily or dry, acne prone or not should use a moisturiser. It's a means by aiding your skin in keeping healthy and moisturised. After-all, our skin is the largest organ in our body and we should take proper care of it. Acne sufferers should use light, oil free, non-comedogenic moisturisers with SPF.

Not showering for a month won't make your skin produce oil.

So if i just moisturize it will eventually go away? How long do you think it will take?/

Sometimes when your skin is too dry, moisturizer alone does not help since it can't sink in, because as you said your skin is too dry. You have to exfoliate. There are a couple of ways you can do this depending on how active your acne is and irritated your skin is. 1. If you're comfortable and not worried about irritating your skin you can use a brush to gently massage your skin with the jojoba oil to remove the dry skin. 2. Use a cleanser like black soap which is exfoliating (pure black soap, read ingredients to make sure you arent using something loaded with other stuff to aggrevate your skin). I just recently started using black soap with the the DKR BP and I feel like this was what pushed my skin from responding to 'holy crap, do i seriously have no active acne right now?'

As far as moisturizer, i just use oil with Aloe Vera and i have not run into any serious issues with dry skin.

I live in the dry Colorado climate and using Differin 03% and antifungals causes am face to dry out. I was scaly and felt like crocodile skin for awhile. The only thing that helped was moisturizing and exfoliating. I used a Clarisonic Mia brush with Cetaphil cleanser, and moisturized with Mystic Water prep spray (by Cosmedix) and Cetaphil moisturizing cream. If you live in a more humid climate I would ditch the prep spray. It's a moisturizing spray that helps your skin retain moisture. Good luck!

I'd like to update. It was definately exfoliating that I needed. I just rubbed my skin vigorously with the palm of my hand back and forth really hard for like 10 min straight. Now my skin does not feel rough anymore!! It feels soft now! Now I use jojoba oil and it actually soaks into my skin...I'm so happy my skin doesn't feel like sand paper anymore! I don't even have those white flaked on my face anymore.

I have naturally dry skin and it's acne prone as well (super right?). I know the feeling I having skin that feels like sandpaper and when you moisturize it, it feels as if the skin is drinking it up but it doesn't help. I don't know how your skin behaves naturally, if you have oily skin, or if you have normal-dry skin. One thing that worked for me was using psoriasis gel, I used Psoriasin and to my surprise it helped a lot. I don't know if I actually have psoriasis and acne medicine just triggered it or if it just helped with scaley skin. Another thing that has helped me has been washing with a moisturizing cleanser and treating the actual acne with the medication instead of using a cleanser for acne. The best moisturizing facial wash that I have tried is Cerave Hydrating Cleanser. It does a great job of cleansing the skin, it is not oily in any way and it actually leaves the skin with more moisture than before you washed your face. They make moisturizers as well, I don't use them, because the moisturizer I use now (St. Ives) is working great for me right now and it's cheaper. Though, if my skin needs something more in the future I will definitely be using them.