Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

my dad had worse acne then me when he was a kid, and his went away perminantly without him even trying anything to my knowledge when he was 18. Im 18, any hope mine will stop because my fathers did?

I think there is some genetic factor, but you have to also look at your mom's skin and your uncles and aunts. My dad has always had great skin. Even now at 51 he barely has any wrinkles. My mom's skin was great when she was older but when she was in her early 20s she got acne. My Dad's brother has a lot of scars on his face from acne when he was younger, although he eventually grew out of it.

I'm in my early 20s and I have acne. I'm hoping it will go away like my mom's did and not get really bad like my uncle's. But obviously just because my dad had perfect skin hasn't meant I do. My sister on the other hand barely gets any pimples. It's just a matter of who's skin you inherit. And then there are all the external factors...

I think there is some genetic factor, but you have to also look at your mom's skin and your uncles and aunts. My dad has always had great skin. Even now at 51 he barely has any wrinkles. My mom's skin was great when she was older but when she was in her early 20s she got acne. My Dad's brother has a lot of scars on his face from acne when he was younger, although he eventually grew out of it.

I'm in my early 20s and I have acne. I'm hoping it will go away like my mom's did and not get really bad like my uncle's. But obviously just because my dad had perfect skin hasn't meant I do. My sister on the other hand barely gets any pimples. It's just a matter of who's skin you inherit. And then there are all the external factors...

my moms side of the family has never had acne ever. my dad is the only person in the family that i know has had acne. my sister has like maybe 1 pimple ever. i hate thissss. i hope it goes away.

Look into the products you're using too. I had acne in high school and I always figured I would grow out of it and just used otc acne medication in the meantime. Once I was 18 it did start to get a lot better, but never fully went away. Then my boyfriend pointed out to me that when we met my skin was really clear and asked what I had been doing at that time. Then I realized that I had actually only been washing my face every few days with cetaphil my friend had (I was traveling at the time). When I told him that, he suggested I stop doing as much to my skin and see how it goes. So I just switched to a super gentle cleaners and went makeup free. BAM my skin improved drastically. I think that all of the chemicals they put in acne medicine that I was still using was breaking me out since my skin didn't naturally have acne anymore. This break out I'm having now I think is a result of going off some medication I was on because it started 2 weeks after I ended the medication (I'd been on it for 2 years).

If your dad's acne went away without him doing anything, then maybe yours will too if you switch to a more gentle cleanser! Right now I'm using Cetaphil cream cleaner (I also have a prescription for Retin-A), that is super gentle. I'm in the middle of my initial breakout form the Retin-A, but I think overall my skin seems to be improving.

Cetaphil is the brand the dermatologists generally recommend. I have a few friends that use the cetaphil as well and they all have amazing skin.