Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaftFrost

Teenage Acne, Is Diet Really The Problem?

Teenagers, their bodies are changing and sex hormones are required to make those changes.

So theres 2 main factors. Hormones (genetics) and Diet (you control).

The Genetic part doesn't really play much role form what I've seen. If you look at Japan (been there myself), teens there have flawless skin. So since 95% of them have flawless skin it really can't be genetics, it could only play on who it reacts to food.

So now Diet, usually refined sugary foods get into our blood stream fast and cause spikes in hormones. Its the diet in US which is just horrible, too much sugar. So that DIET must be causing the imbalance not really our hormones which our bodies are naturally aware of balancing itself.

So what I mean is, biologically our bodies aren't suppose to experience ACNE during Teenage. Sure, your hormones may get out of balance during puberty but its kept in balance so that you are still not at the stage of breaking out, thats how our bodies function. But because of non-fiberious refined sugars we eat, hormones are crazy in our body because of our diet. Think about it, our bodies aren't naturally built to consume huge amounts of refined sugars. Our Ancestors used to search for food, and the only way they can basically get sugar would be from fruits, which are fiberious and a good form of sugar since fiber slows the process of digestion meaning sugars wouldn't be flooding in our blood fast.

So that could mean that Diet really is what triggers Teenage Acne. Anyone agrees? If I am missing any please write below.

Just to add in, I've been to countries where most don't get Omega 3 oil in their diet, don't eat fish at all. Yet they still have clear skin. Omega 3 does perhaps soothen the skin but doesn't seem to play much role in the cause of acne.

Diet affects your hormones even teen hormones. Sugar in particular. Many say that we shouldn't go through such extreme sudden changes at puberty. They should be much more gradual. I had a friend whose breasts grew so large so suddenly over one summer that she had stretch marks.

Diet affects your hormones even teen hormones. Sugar in particular. Many say that we shouldn't go through such extreme sudden changes at puberty. They should be much more gradual. I had a friend whose breasts grew so large so suddenly over one summer that she had stretch marks.

That's irrelevant to acne, considering I know people that hit puberty and grew full bears in no time and never got acne, while I have "gradually" been growing facial hair since I was 14(6 years ago).

Yes, diet affects acne, acne all comes down to hormones, and your body's sensitivity to these hormones. Diet sucks for most people in America, so you would think that acne would just get worse and worse as people age. But that's not the trend. However, diet does affect hormones, most importantly Insulin and Cortisol. When you start messing with these two very powerful, very important hormones, you start throwing a lot of imbalances into our "already hormonal pubertal state," thus giving teenagers a higher chance for worse acne. Not to mention, it's proven that people entering puberty have increased insulin levels and IGF-1 due to the need to grow during this state, so the excess stress put on our bodies from poor diet, gives way to even more insulin resistance.

Honestly, I think the whole link between acne and diet is BS. Not to say that a poor diet can't and won't effect your skin, but I don't think that if someone with perfect skin started eating a lot of junk they would suddenly get acne, or vice versa. I'm a health nut, and I still have horrible skin. My friends eat junk all the time and have perfect skin. A couple of my girl friends developed tremendously so quickly during puberty and have perfect skin. It sucks, and it's not fair, but I really believe it boils done to genetics. Also, when you mentioned looking at Japan as a comparison, well, the Japanese have a different genetic composition than every other ethnicity, so of course skin is going to differ from country to country. Just my opinion though.

Honestly, I think the whole link between acne and diet is BS. Not to say that a poor diet can't and won't effect your skin, but I don't think that if someone with perfect skin started eating a lot of junk they would suddenly get acne, or vice versa. I'm a health nut, and I still have horrible skin. My friends eat junk all the time and have perfect skin. A couple of my girl friends developed tremendously so quickly during puberty and have perfect skin. It sucks, and it's not fair, but I really believe it boils done to genetics. Also, when you mentioned looking at Japan as a comparison, well, the Japanese have a different genetic composition than every other ethnicity, so of course skin is going to differ from country to country. Just my opinion though.

What do you mean by "health nut"? I've heard of many people that developed acne, got tired of it, and became a "health nut" by eating nothing but vegetables, fruit, and water. Well, in the beginning the reduction of calories and simple sugars, etc, will help acne, but it makes the mineral deficiencies worse. Minerals are the key to controlling acne. I've tried everything you could ever think of, at some points taking 20 or so pills a day trying to combat acne, including a "health nut" diet as I explained. However, I never saw such an improvement in my acne as I did when I started focusing on insulin sensitivity and minerals. I don't take a single vitamin anymore. I eat whatever the hell I want. And I have no inflammation left whatsoever. Still letting the blackheads diminish, but no inflammation at all. Thanks to chromium, magnesium, and zinc. Tons of people go around talking about how we need to go paleo to achieve perfect skin, but unless you shop strictly in an organic store and try to include quite a bit of red meat and fish, you're not getting the minerals you need. Not to mention the price of organic foods is enough to say fuck it. People can say diet doesn't affect acne and that it's all "genetics", but the fact is that each generation in America is developing more and more acne-WHY? Well hell, if genetics took a role in it, you would think we would be less susceptible to acne as our bodies would be more genetically able to handle all the toxins and lack of minerals, etc. But that's not the case.

If you still think diet isn't causative due to it's effects on insulin and cortisol, or hormones in general, then why did every girl I've ever dated, even ones with great skin, complain of breakouts around the time of their period? Many complain of chocolate cravings, which many scientists believe that their bodies crave chocolate due to it's natural magnesium availability. Magnesium also relieves many menstrual symptoms, including breakout severity during that time. Makes sense, given America's over abundance and praise of calcium in the diet, even though at Calcium:Magnesium ratios of 15:1 and greater, more insulin is secreted than necessary. Not to mention Calcium's function as a contractor of blood vessels while Magnesium helps relax just about everything in the body. Not to mention America has more cases of Osteoporosis and bone disease than most other countries in the world, even though our Calcium intake is the highest.

Even if you still don't believe diet is the key, minerals really are the major controls of our body.

Blame genetics on the rare diseases, not the most common disease in America.

Edited by Jal V

I believe Diet does affect acne! It always will and always has been.

I have travelled around countries, especially asian countries. What I have noticed was that my skin would be much clearer depending on the diet I was eating, but now that I am at home in USA its little bit risky and different.

oh and

@SavyBanana

whats your current status on your diet and lifestyle?:

-Low carbs?

-Mostly leafy veggies?

-Meats?

-Ejaculation?

-Water

-Blood Toxicity?

-Liver weakness?

According to the Chinese Facemap, my acne for some reason is related to Heart and Lung. I don't at all, break out around my chin or the side of my cheeks. But I breakout around my nose, and around the area between cheekbones and nose.

Acne face mapping is basically a pseudoscience. Diet related? For some yes for others no or little influence. Some people metabolize hormones better than others.

That's irrelevant to acne, considering I know people that hit puberty and grew full bears in no time and never got acne, while I have "gradually" been growing facial hair since I was 14(6 years ago).

Yes, diet affects acne, acne all comes down to hormones, and your body's sensitivity to these hormones. Diet sucks for most people in America, so you would think that acne would just get worse and worse as people age. But that's not the trend. However, diet does affect hormones, most importantly Insulin and Cortisol. When you start messing with these two very powerful, very important hormones, you start throwing a lot of imbalances into our "already hormonal pubertal state," thus giving teenagers a higher chance for worse acne. Not to mention, it's proven that people entering puberty have increased insulin levels and IGF-1 due to the need to grow during this state, so the excess stress put on our bodies from poor diet, gives way to even more insulin resistance.

You can't just pick and choose what hormonal changes are "relevant" and "irrelevant" to acne, silly goose.

Irrelevant--She mentioned nothing about acne in her friend.

We were talking about puberty, teens, hormones, and diet. It is very relevant and illustrated my point that teens today go through some extremely dramatic changes that are likely not natural and likely due to diet's influence on hormones.

People can say diet doesn't affect acne and that it's all "genetics", but the fact is that each generation in America is developing more and more acne-WHY? Well hell, if genetics took a role in it, you would think we would be less susceptible to acne as our bodies would be more genetically able to handle all the toxins and lack of minerals, etc. But that's not the case.

???? I really don't understand how you draw your conclusions or even what the point you are trying to make is. From what I can tell, your subject line contradicts your point. Regardless, 'what you would think' isn't really relevant.

Genetic tendencies are factors in acne. Genes have been mapped. Other factors include hormones and chronic inflammation, and the function of various organs, etc. all of which are influenced by diet, even your genes. Even you how well you manage stress is influenced by diet. What causes acne is all of the above.

Acne is increasing along with all kinds of other lifestyle diseases because our diets and lifestyles are getting worse. And because of epigenetics. And kids born without adequate beneficial flora born obtained from a mother who not only didn't have adequate beneficial flora likely had gestational diabetes if not actual type II diabetes messing up the kids phenotypes involved in blood sugar.

Also, our bodies aren't going to learn how to function without the minerals they've used for hundreds of thousands of years in a generation or two. So no, you would not think we'd be more genetically able to handle it.

Edited by alternativista

Acne is increasing along with all kinds of other lifestyle diseases because our diets and lifestyles are getting worse. And because of epigenetics. And kids born without adequate beneficial flora born obtained from a mother who not only didn't have adequate beneficial flora likely had gestational diabetes if not actual type II diabetes messing up the kids phenotypes involved in blood sugar.

Do you have a link to something that mentions this? I understand the idea of epigenetics, but I haven't read anything regarding prenatal transmission of digestive flora.

People can say diet doesn't affect acne and that it's all "genetics", but the fact is that each generation in America is developing more and more acne-WHY? Well hell, if genetics took a role in it, you would think we would be less susceptible to acne as our bodies would be more genetically able to handle all the toxins and lack of minerals, etc. But that's not the case.

???? I really don't understand how you draw your conclusions or even what the point you are trying to make is. From what I can tell, your subject line contradicts your point. Regardless, 'what you would think' isn't really relevant.

Genetic tendencies are factors in acne. Genes have been mapped. Other factors include hormones and chronic inflammation, and the function of various organs, etc. all of which are influenced by diet, even your genes. Even you how well you manage stress is influenced by diet. What causes acne is all of the above.

Also, our bodies aren't going to learn how to function without the minerals they've used for hundreds of thousands of years in a generation or two. So no, you would not think we'd be more genetically able to handle it.

Lol, yes genes are a FACTOR in acne. Obviously. Genes are a FACTOR in everything. But just because you were born with genes that make you more likely to develop a disease, doesn't mean that your poor genes are the REASON you developed that disease. Genes are the reason every person is born with a different struggle. Some deal with acne, some deal with weight, some deal with things they have no control over whatsoever. However, acne is controllable, as many people know, and it's controllable without the use of antibiotics or a certain skin wash. So my point is that genetics aren't the CAUSE of acne, and to say that the link between diet and acne is BS is quite funny. Especially considering the studies Dr Cordain has done.

Do some looking around at the people who have been curing cancers and extreme diseases by switching the patients to a completely raw diet, with no artificial sugars, processed foods, etc and then tell me that diet isn't the number 1 cause of just about everything in America.

^Are you talking to alternativista? Because she definitely knows all that, lol.

I think some miscommunication occured, because it sounds like you both are saying the same thing. In which case, I agree with both of you, haha.

What do you mean by "health nut"? I've heard of many people that developed acne, got tired of it, and became a "health nut" by eating nothing but vegetables, fruit, and water. Well, in the beginning the reduction of calories and simple sugars, etc, will help acne, but it makes the mineral deficiencies worse. Minerals are the key to controlling acne. I've tried everything you could ever think of, at some points taking 20 or so pills a day trying to combat acne, including a "health nut" diet as I explained. However, I never saw such an improvement in my acne as I did when I started focusing on insulin sensitivity and minerals. I don't take a single vitamin anymore. I eat whatever the hell I want. And I have no inflammation left whatsoever. Still letting the blackheads diminish, but no inflammation at all. Thanks to chromium, magnesium, and zinc. Tons of people go around talking about how we need to go paleo to achieve perfect skin, but unless you shop strictly in an organic store and try to include quite a bit of red meat and fish, you're not getting the minerals you need. Not to mention the price of organic foods is enough to say fuck it. People can say diet doesn't affect acne and that it's all "genetics", but the fact is that each generation in America is developing more and more acne-WHY? Well hell, if genetics took a role in it, you would think we would be less susceptible to acne as our bodies would be more genetically able to handle all the toxins and lack of minerals, etc. But that's not the case.

If you still think diet isn't causative due to it's effects on insulin and cortisol, or hormones in general, then why did every girl I've ever dated, even ones with great skin, complain of breakouts around the time of their period? Many complain of chocolate cravings, which many scientists believe that their bodies crave chocolate due to it's natural magnesium availability. Magnesium also relieves many menstrual symptoms, including breakout severity during that time. Makes sense, given America's over abundance and praise of calcium in the diet, even though at Calcium:Magnesium ratios of 15:1 and greater, more insulin is secreted than necessary. Not to mention Calcium's function as a contractor of blood vessels while Magnesium helps relax just about everything in the body. Not to mention America has more cases of Osteoporosis and bone disease than most other countries in the world, even though our Calcium intake is the highest.

Even if you still don't believe diet is the key, minerals really are the major controls of our body.

Blame genetics on the rare diseases, not the most common disease in America.

Okay, obviously I didn't clarify what I meant. I didn't mean diet has no control over the condition of your skin, I just mean that it's hard to convince someone who has been suffering from acne and has tried to control their acne with their diet that what you put into your body completely determines whether or not you are going to have acne. I just believe that there is a lot more to acne than that. I do agree that your diet effects all aspects of your health and that the United States as a whole has a poor diet, but I think you can agree that not all Americans do. I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful and make a point, even though you are in a way accusing me of not truly knowing what a healthy diet is, but I, as well as many others, have just not seen results taking this approach. I do admit though that my first post was overdramatic and not completely true to my viewpoint on this subject. Everyone's bodies are different, so what may be the cause of your acne and what may work for you might not work for others.

SavyBanana- I wasn't trying to accuse you of not knowing what a healthy diet is, rather trying to get my point across that there are a lot more things to consider in a "healthy diet" other than just healthy foods and less calories. Sorry if I came across as rude and whatnot, I just tend to ramble when I talk about the subject, and I probly read your post slightly wrong, assuming you were stating that diet had no effect whatsoever. For any confusion I've caused to anyone--My apologies...lol.

All I was trying to say was once your hormones are out of whack and insulin resistance increases or insulin sensitivity decreases, it's going to take more than just diet to restore it, unless you're fine with waiting an extremely long time to settle everything in your body. Since most people are looking for the quickest cure possible, I recommend supplements that improve insulin sensitivity and slight dietary changes. Obviously fast food should be limited, but I'm not saying it can't be eaten. Calcium and sugar intake should also be limited as most of us are probably very very very excessive in calcium stores anyway. Thus, I recommend Chromium Polynicotinate, for all sorts of things including insulin sensitivity, carb craving reduction, cortisol reduction, etc. Zinc Picolinate or Zinc Monomethionine, because Zinc also deals with insulin, healing rates, and it's a better antioxidant than most vitamins. And vitamin D-3, because who the hell couldn't use extra of this awesome vitamin (or hormone rather). But, it's opinion based on research and experience so take it with a grain of salt.