Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlpineSteez

My Acne Has Gone From Mild To Moderate. Getting Worried.

Hey guys. I started breaking out when I was about 17 (Senior year). I'm now 19 and a Sophomore in college and my acne seems to be getting worse.

I'm beginning to lose hope that I'll ever grow out of it. According to my mom, my father had fairly severe acne when they first met. He eventually grew out of it sometime in his early-mid 20's. This is somewhat encouraging I suppose. My mom on the other hand still gets a pimple ever now and then, but she never had real acne.

My sister had mild acne when she was starting college so she took a course of Accutane and now has perfect skin.

Then there's me.

gallery_161185_12163_29308.jpg

People have it worse than I do, sure, but the majority of people in college are clear skinned. It is HOLDING ME BACK FROM LIVING LIFE.

That right there is the problem. I have lost all of my confidence talking to girls and I'm not nearly as social as I would be overall. I sit in my room searching acne cures on the internet. I barely have the confidence to attend classes. I'm actually skipping a class as I type this.

Something interesting is that I cleared up relatively well in the summer when I was out in the sunlight enjoying life without the stresses of school.

Help me please.

I feel you man. Best thing to do would be start by adjusting your diet - switch to fruits, veggies, and lean protein. That really should improve your skin especially if you're on the junk food and alcohol diet of a typical college kid haha.

Following that I would purchase gentle face cleansers and use them morning and night.

Don't consider Accutane, it is horrible but up to you. Especially if you will be drinking... can't be done.

I say save yourself some time and a lot of pain. Take accutane and be done with it. Let people who are scared of taking it keep on inventing bullshit horror stories. You can either take it, get 100% clear and enjoy life OR you can start becoming obsessed and watching everything you eat scared that it'll make you breakout. The choice is up to you man. By the way the only side effects you'll get on accutane are dry lips and skin. I call that a small price to pay for clear skin.

Your acne doesn't seem too bad. Have you seen a dermatologist? Some topical retinoids and gentle cleansers might be all you need. I would get with it soon because it takes 4-8 weeks to see results. A round of doxycycline could also clear it up quickly.

I feel you man. Best thing to do would be start by adjusting your diet - switch to fruits, veggies, and lean protein. That really should improve your skin especially if you're on the junk food and alcohol diet of a typical college kid haha. Following that I would purchase gentle face cleansers and use them morning and night. Don't consider Accutane, it is horrible but up to you. Especially if you will be drinking... can't be done.

Great advice! imo. Add in some digestive enzymes that will quickly eat that puss away and some light jogging exercises and you'll be clear in no time. Try some cold showers too.

I started to take probiotics and fiber. I'm taking zinc again as well.

Hopefully this helps me. I am generally constipated so I feel like it may be caused by toxins in my digestive system.

I have been to a dermatologist before. I took antibiotics that never worked, some gel topical called ziana for a bit.

The natural way is the way to truely end acne for good. Medications simply mask it I feel.

Hey, you sound like you're on the right track. It's a process and it will take time but try to address acne from all fronts. If you are stressed out often, look into exercise, supplements. yoga, address the diet front (intolerances, eat whole foods) and of course, address skin care (topicals mask acne but can help suppress symptoms until your body can get in gear) - you can go natural or with a derm.

Your frame of mind has a lot to do with how acne affects you psychologically so say positive things about yourself, limit mirror time and be around people that make you comfortable. Accutane is a risk (i've been on it 3 times and it has harmed more than helped me) and should be a last resort.

My best advice would be to do some research on the pros and cons of different treatments and go from there.

I am now 25 and on Accutane. Similar to you, I started breaking out very badly in college, and I feel you, it SUCKED. I spent years and a ton of money on a bunch of different stuff that either worked for a short time or did not work at all. As a result, 6 years later I have some ice pick scarring on my cheeks and red scars all over my face. My acne is not extremely horrible, but enough to certainly put a cramp in my social life and be detrimental to my self esteem. I wish I would have sucked it up and did the 6 months of treatment in college before starting jobs and that whole grown up life thing! Alcohol is overrated anyways.

In regards to 'STEAMROOM' saying that accutane is horrible. I would certainly ask what his credentials/experience is to say that this drug is horrible. I am a registered nurse and have been in healthcare for 5 years. I have not once seen something "horrible" as a result of accutane. I have searched a lot of literature before starting this drug and there are only casual links between the drug and some adverse effects. Nothing definite. A stressful life as a result of acne will surely cause adverse effects as well. All things have to be taken into account when making a decision like this. Don't let the placebo effect fool you either.

Good luck on your journey!

Your acne is not that bad but I can tell it is inflammatory --- the kind that hurts and makes one self-conscious. So I agree --- do accutane. It works wonders. It totally stopped my acne for a number of years. Eventually it came back but that is another story. Right now is a crucial time in your life...a time to develop your self-confidence not destroy it. Some people are lucky and totally heal up after accutane and you may be one of them. Just do it. You will thank yourself...

Edited by cvd

I say save yourself some time and a lot of pain. Take accutane and be done with it. Let people who are scared of taking it keep on inventing bullshit horror stories. You can either take it, get 100% clear and enjoy life OR you can start becoming obsessed and watching everything you eat scared that it'll make you breakout. The choice is up to you man. By the way the only side effects you'll get on accutane are dry lips and skin. I call that a small price to pay for clear skin.

Wrong. Your pores permanently shrink and there is about a 25-50% chance that your acne will return within 2 years. Read up on it before you write nonsense.

Hopefully this helps me. I am generally constipated so I feel like it may be caused by toxins in my digestive system.

I have been to a dermatologist before. I took antibiotics that never worked, some gel topical called ziana for a bit.

The natural way is the way to truely end acne for good. Medications simply mask it I feel.

Constipation is either from your digestive system cleaning properly, or you are over-taking a certain vitamin/supplement (excess of it).

Wrong. Your pores permanently shrink and there is about a 25-50% chance that your acne will return within 2 years. Read up on it before you write nonsense.

Constipation is either from your digestive system cleaning properly, or you are over-taking a certain vitamin/supplement (excess of it).

Look, I have nothing against your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but first of all: why would I care if my pores shrink? Is that even true, do you have any proofs of that and if true, why is it even a bad thing. Secondly, even is there's a chance that your acne will come back in the next 2 years. Guess what? You've been enjoying life for 2+ years and you can take it again if need be. And finally, trust me, I have a read a lot on the subject. I took accutane 4 years ago and it cleared me up perfectly with minimal side effects. I had the best 4 years of my life before the acne started to return in a much milder form. I'm 15 days through my second course right now and I'm already clear. So, I talk from experience, a very positive one by the way. Accutane is giving people their lives back. Go ahead and waste your time finding solutions that will never really fully work if you want to, but thank god there is accutane for people that just want clear skin so they can be done with this bullshit. Even if not permanent, this is by far the best solution IMO.

Look, I have nothing against your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but first of all: why would I care if my pores shrink? Is that even true, do you have any proofs of that and if true, why is it even a bad thing. Secondly, even is there's a chance that your acne will come back in the next 2 years. Guess what? You've been enjoying life for 2+ years and you can take it again if need be. And finally, trust me, I have a read a lot on the subject. I took accutane 4 years ago and it cleared me up perfectly with minimal side effects. I had the best 4 years of my life before the acne started to return in a much milder form. I'm 15 days through my second course right now and I'm already clear. So, I talk from experience, a very positive one by the way. Accutane is giving people their lives back. Go ahead and waste your time finding solutions that will never really fully work if you want to, but thank god there is accutane for people that just want clear skin so they can be done with this bullshit. Even if not permanent, this is by far the best solution IMO.

Google it and you will find all the answers you please. No you can't take Accutane forever lol that is absolutely ridiculous, ask any Dermatologist.

Google it and you will find all the answers you please. No you can't take Accutane forever lol that is absolutely ridiculous, ask any Dermatologist.

Who cares if you can't take it forever? Some people are very successful taking a low dose over a long period of time. Add to that the fact that the chance of permanent remission gets higher and higher after each course you take, because you're getting older and closer to growing out of acne naturally. My point is, accutane does it's job, which is giving people clear skin. It's the only thing that works for sure.

Don't take it if you don't want to. I'll be enjoying clear skin while you guys keep on wasting your lives looking for that elusive natural cure that doesn't exist. I sure as hell won't waste my twenties being obsessed and scared of eating anything, all this while never being totally clear. Some of you guys just don't seem to realize that you're wasting the best years of your lives, obsessing about your skin, looking for a natural cure/diet that never really works long term when there is accutane. You won't ever get all those wasted years of your life back. Ever.

I'd much rather suck it up and take accutane and be clear for however long it'll keep me clear (for most people the acne never comes back) and ENJOY life while I'm still young. I won't give a shit if I have acne or not, If I'm healthy or not when I'm 70+ years old. All that matters is right now. I'd much rather live my twenties to the fullest than my seventies.

I guess it all comes down to the individual.. Some people can deal just fine with acne and go through their day and still enjoy life. But when I read about a lot of stories on this website, of people who won't get out of their houses, won't go to parties, won't go out with their friends, just won't live their lives to the fullest, then I say to myself ''Jesus christ, what the hell are you waiting for? When it gets to the point that acne is destroying your social life, is it really worth it anymore to find a healthy cure? Are accutane's side effects really that much worse than the situation you're in right now?'' I have been through that shit. When my acne was at it's worst (moderate) , I would cancel nights out with my friends, school was a real pain in the ass, I would walk around with my hoodie on so people wouldn't see my acne, I would sit somewhere in the class depending on which side of my face was better than the other. Trust me man, I've been through it and I can understand people's pain and for me, accutane gave me my fucking life back. So I just get mad when I see people suggesting to someone a bunch of shit that will most likely not work and keep him in pain for a longer time.

Man that was pretty long, but that's all I had to say.

You said that the sunny weather helped improved your skin? The sun is a source of vitamin D. Do you think it's a possibility that you're lacking this Vitamin? Take your process slowly. Don't jump for the guns to eradicate these pimples.

Just for a test, try eating more foods that contain Vitamin D, or Vitamin D supplements at a low dosage. If this slows down your breakouts or reduces your acne, then you can increase your intake of Vitamin D or increase the IU you're taking.