Notifications
Clear all

Oatmeal And Whole Grains?

MemberMember
(@reapt)

Posted : 02/19/2012 4:28 pm

So I have had minor acne all my life and last year i broke out bad in cystic acne around my side burns and sides of my eye, with a little on forehead. Regardless that is a thing of the past, its all cleared up and left some red marks. I'm not to worried bout it. Not sure what causes it either. Anyway I recently started getting pretty intense in diet and excercise and muscle building. I decided to change my diet a little for maximum results. My diet includes: Lean meats(chicken, turkey), Fruits, Veggies, and of course Whole grains.

My question is simple. should i try to avoid the whole grains? I did some research and their is like a 50% spread on whether whole-grains is linked to acne. Some websites insist its good for your acne, while others put this in a top 5 food to avoid. I just enjoyed a nice little bowl of oatmeal and 2 pieces of whole wheat toast. And now because i'm a paranoid pete, and searched the internet I'm freaking out that i'm gonna have a cystic repeat like i did last year and this being the week of my bday!

MemberMember
(@kyle_)

Posted : 02/19/2012 4:45 pm

sNot sure to be exact, but I believe whole grains, including wheat, is linked to blocking the absorption of essential vitamins and minerals, basically it blocks something, but you can't exclude it from your diet, it's fibre, a really good fibre too, and I believe fibre is linked to the reduction of acne, as it can carry 'toxins' with it.

With the diet your eating, including the whole grains, you should be fine and in fact, better than most people in diet terms, keep to it!

MemberMember
(@blackblake)

Posted : 02/19/2012 4:50 pm

I am kinda similar in terms of breakfast. Exept i eat Gluten free oatmeal with Stevia, and 2 pieces of eziekal bread toast topped with organic pumpkin seed butter ( love it!)

MemberMember
(@jenny-p)

Posted : 02/19/2012 5:18 pm

As long as you are not eating ice cream or junk food like cheezits and crap, you will be fine.

You should eat a wide variety of foods and oatmeal and wheat bread carries a lot of vitamins and minerals you need.

MemberMember
(@reapt)

Posted : 02/19/2012 8:29 pm

No I haven't touched ice cream in maybe over a year lol. And Definitely no chips or cheez-its ever for me! My diet is pretty lock tight in heath. with a few nights a week I might splurge and get some alfredo pasta or a slice of pizza. Just so I dont relapse. But I never touch candy or chips thats a definite! and I take multivitamins.

I was probably over thinking it. One thread on the internet about how whole grain "supposedly" caused someone to break out and it makes me worried. I guess i'll just stick to a healthy diet and take on what comes at me.

MemberMember
(@ana3791)

Posted : 02/19/2012 8:44 pm

You do not have to worry about whole grains causing acne flare ups. However, high GI foods (white processed bread, most cereals, granola cereal, bagels, ect) will and can make your acne worsen. I have experimented a lot with diet and acne, and as long as you stick to whole grains, your acne should be fine.

MemberMember
(@bearishly)

Posted : 02/21/2012 11:30 am

It's going to be different for everyone. Incidentally, I read somewhere that in clincal studies of low/no carb diets, participants typically note that their skin clears.

Personally, I eat oatmeal for breakfast every day and it doesn't break me out. I've managed to control my new breakouts 95% by eating fewer grains throughout the day. I keep my carbs between 150-200 g, and never have any meals that are primarily composed of carbs (like pasta). However, some people have to completely eliminate all grains or all gluten to achieve similar results. It really all comes down to personal experimentation. Whole grains are generally a healthy food because of their fiber, protein, and B vitamins, but there are plenty other food sources of all of those.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/21/2012 5:51 pm

to clarify some of the above comments.

Phytic acids binds up minerals such as zinc which is beneficial for acne. But soaking, sprouting and cooking breaks them down to reduce their impact.

Some grains are worse than others for other antinutrients such as the gluten that damages the digestive tract and isn't good for anyone whether or not you detect a sensitivity and so should not be a big part of your diet. And some people are so sensitive/damaged that they need to avoid all grains and possibly all seeds including those hidden in processed foods and supplements before they see any improvement.

Wheat bread contains nothing you need that isn't found in more abundance in other foods.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 01/09/2013 10:16 pm

Phytic acids binds up minerals such as zinc which is beneficial for acne. But soaking, sprouting and cooking breaks them down to reduce their impact.

Some grains are worse than others for other antinutrients such as the gluten that damages the digestive tract and isn't good for anyone whether or not you detect a sensitivity and so should not be a big part of your diet. And some people are so sensitive/damaged that they need to avoid all grains and possibly all seeds including those hidden in processed foods and supplements before they see any improvement.

Wheat bread contains nothing you need that isn't found in more abundance in other foods.

so is eating whole grain okay? or is it bad because it binds to zinc? i have started a low glycemic diet but i am find it hard to get my calories. i want to eat things like whole grain hamburger buns and whole grain pasta so that i can eat pasta and hamburgers. do i need to get rid of whole grain if i want to get rid of my acne? i already got rid of fruit juice, white bread, dairy, sugars and any proccessed/refined food. i have found i am extremely hungry.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 01/09/2013 11:08 pm

Grains are bad for you- that's that. Read the Paleo Solution (the book) which explains the science behind it. Of course, grains are not going to kill you- and they probably won't make much a difference in your acne if you're not "intolerant," but for anybody: grains are damaging and bad for overall health.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/10/2013 10:52 am

so is eating whole grain okay? or is it bad because it binds to zinc? i have started a low glycemic diet but i am find it hard to get my calories. i want to eat things like whole grain hamburger buns and whole grain pasta so that i can eat pasta and hamburgers. do i need to get rid of whole grain if i want to get rid of my acne? i already got rid of fruit juice, white bread, dairy, sugars and any proccessed/refined food. i have found i am extremely hungry.

They are ok for most people. But I can't say about you. And you should not fill up on grains in place of real, whole nutrient dense fruits, vegetables, eggs, fish, etc. Especially since the processed food items you mention--buns and pasta-- were likely not prepared properly to reduce anti-nutrients. What grains are these products made from? Like I said, some are worse than others.

Do you have any digestion issues? Discomfort? Irregularity? Allergies and other health problems?

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 01/11/2013 10:17 pm

They are ok for most people. But I can't say about you. And you should not fill up on grains in place of real, whole nutrient dense fruits, vegetables, eggs, fish, etc. Especially since the processed food items you mention--buns and pasta-- were likely not prepared properly to reduce anti-nutrients. What grains are these products made from? Like I said, some are worse than others.

Do you have any digestion issues? Discomfort? Irregularity? Allergies and other health problems?

not that i know of but i have never done the tests. i have been on a low glycemic diet for only 5 days and i think i am seeing results already if that is possible. somehow my acne is starting to clear up since i cut out sugars and went on a low glycemic diet

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 03/05/2013 9:04 pm

well. i have seen a 95% improvement now that i have cut sugar from dried fruit. i have also stopped eating bananas. I feel so hungry all the time now. so i am going to eat some whole grain bread. i thinks its more sugar that is important as far as acne goes.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/07/2013 11:27 am

well. i have seen a 95% improvement now that i have cut sugar from dried fruit. i have also stopped eating bananas. I feel so hungry all the time now. so i am going to eat some whole grain bread. i thinks its more sugar that is important as far as acne goes.

The sugar is most important for everything to do with your health. But it's still individual about the grains. And they should not be the base of your food pyramid.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 03/09/2013 3:30 pm

The sugar is most important for everything to do with your health. But it's still individual about the grains. And they should not be the base of your food pyramid.

i have a theory that my insulin resistance is so messed up that even fruits spike my insulin. i cut out fruits and all grains a week ago and now i am 98% percent clear, i have not been like this since 9. i do not know if it was the fruits or the grains. do you think that maybe fruits can spike insulin too? like can fruits really cause acne?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/09/2013 6:33 pm

i have a theory that my insulin resistance is so messed up that even fruits spike my insulin. i cut out fruits and all grains a week ago and now i am 98% percent clear, i have not been like this since 9. i do not know if it was the fruits or the grains. do you think that maybe fruits can spike insulin too? like can fruits really cause acne?

Yes, fruits elevate insulin, but your body should be able to handle that. Do things to improve your insulin sensitivity. Do you exercise? Sleep well? Consume nutrient rich foods?

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 03/09/2013 7:19 pm

Yes, fruits elevate insulin, but your body should be able to handle that. Do things to improve your insulin sensitivity. Do you exercise? Sleep well? Consume nutrient rich foods?

ok

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 08/19/2013 11:50 pm

:) I am going to meditate now. Too much over thinking. I still think Judy's Breadsticks are amazing.