Notifications
Clear all

How Many Cavities Or Fillings Have You Had?

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:15 pm

just wondering if anyone could give me some general info on your dental health and how it may relate to your skin health. obviously the sampling will not be random, as i assume everyone here has some sort of acne. but if i could find someone with sevre acne for a long time, with zero cavities, that would disprove the connection i am trying to make. the connection is between salivary iga levels, and beta-carotene intake, as salivary iga is dependant upon beta carotene, and helps keep the bacteria in order in your mouth. i hypothesize that dental health may somewhat be associated with acne, as carotenoids have a "supposedly" great role in healthy skin. hence the development of a carotenoid derivitave, accutane, to treat acne and skin cancers. of course im trying to find evidence against this so if you have real bad acne, and never had a cavity, that would help me make progress here by disproving the hypothesis.

so post the number of cavities and a general measure of acne severity, thanks.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:23 pm

I have approximately 5 metal fillings, which are of much more concern to me than the amount of cavities I have (which last time I got a diagnostic from a dentist, was 11? I think). My acne has always been moderate.

MemberMember
(@iwishihadclearskin)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:24 pm

When i was little i had a lot because i ate so much candy and stuff... but now since i cut out on all those junk (cuz of acne of course) i only get maybe like 1 every year? idk

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:25 pm

Actually I think I have way more fillings than that, probably closer to 11. Maybe a couple new cavities since I've last seen the dentist.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:27 pm

Actually I think I have way more fillings than that, probably closer to 11. Maybe a couple new cavities since I've last seen the dentist.

how long have you had acne that was problematic?

just wondering if anyone could give me some general info on your dental health and how it may relate to your skin health. obviously the sampling will not be random, as i assume everyone here has some sort of acne. but if i could find someone with sevre acne for a long time, with zero cavities, that would disprove the connection i am trying to make. the connection is between salivary iga levels, and beta-carotene intake, as salivary iga is dependant upon beta carotene, and helps keep the bacteria in order in your mouth. i hypothesize that dental health may somewhat be associated with acne, as carotenoids have a "supposedly" great role in healthy skin. hence the development of a carotenoid derivitave, accutane, to treat acne and skin cancers. of course im trying to find evidence against this so if you have real bad acne, and never had a cavity, that would help me make progress here by disproving the hypothesis.

so post the number of cavities and a general measure of acne severity, thanks.

MemberMember
(@facevalues)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:27 pm

how long have you had acne that was problematic?

7 years total, I think it started getting the most problematic for me like 5-6 years ago though.

MemberMember
(@outofoptions)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:31 pm

I am 25, never had a cavity, but still have acne. I can keep it somewhat under control through diet, but I always have some zits on my face.

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:35 pm

I have had acne for 9-10 years, severe at times. It was most severe probably around age 16-19, a course of accutane briefly cleared me and my acne came back in May-June of 2011, around 6 months after my course. It's more or less under control due to diet changes now.

I have zero fillings and have never had a cavity.

MemberMember
(@lostlaika)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:41 pm

I've only had one cavity and it was way before I had acne when I was like 8. I also never floss and don't take the best care in the world of my mouth, but I never have any real plaque buildup or anything, and the dentist explained it was something about my saliva. And unfortunately I've had moderate acne since I was 11 or 12.

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:44 pm

I have approximately 5 metal fillings, which are of much more concern to me than the amount of cavities I have (which last time I got a diagnostic from a dentist, was 11? I think). My acne has always been moderate.

That should definitely concern you... Can you afford to get them replaced? The mercury in those fillings can cause all sorts of health problems.

I always got lots of cavities as a child/teen. I don't get them anymore, probably thanks to my diet. But the mercury fillings I used to have were partially responsible for making me mercury toxic, one consequence of which is gut dysbiosis/leaky gut/food allergies resulting in acne.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:50 pm

I am 25, never had a cavity, but still have acne. I can keep it somewhat under control through diet, but I always have some zits on my face.

how often have you been to a dentist? or the last time you were there for check up?

I have had acne for 9-10 years, severe at times. It was most severe probably around age 16-19, a course of accutane briefly cleared me and my acne came back in May-June of 2011, around 6 months after my course. It's more or less under control due to diet changes now.

I have zero fillings and have never had a cavity.

when was the last time you had a checkup?

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 02/02/2012 10:52 pm

Probably about 5 months ago. I'm due for another one soon! I go to the dentist like clockwork every 6 months. More frequently when I had braces though, probably every 3 months. Shockingly I didn't get any cavities after I got my braces removed (many people do).

MemberMember
(@bittersweet098)

Posted : 02/02/2012 11:08 pm

xx

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/02/2012 11:12 pm

Probably about 5 months ago. I'm due for another one soon! I go to the dentist like clockwork every 6 months. More frequently when I had braces though, probably every 3 months. Shockingly I didn't get any cavities after I got my braces removed (many people do).

i suppose your testimony is a decent one, therefore, cavities at least arent an absolute predictor of acne, but i suppose there still may be some small relationship.

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 02/02/2012 11:16 pm

i suppose your testimony is a decent one, therefore, cavities at least arent an absolute predictor of acne, but i suppose there still may be some small relationship.

It would make sense that in some cases at least there's a correlation.

MemberMember
(@chocobot)

Posted : 02/03/2012 12:19 am

None, got plenty of pimples around my mouth.

MemberMember
(@alexisc)

Posted : 02/03/2012 12:39 am

Have you seen the video on a dentist in the 1920's who discovers the link between general nutrition and dental heath? It was posted in this forum a while ago. Basically this dentist went to "uncivilized" parts of the world where the food source was local and they all had perfect teeth. People with the same genetics who were exposed to mass produced foods, refined sugar etc. in nearby villages had tons of cavities and dental decay.

I also think there is a connection between bacterial imbalance in the stomach relating to bacterial imbalance in the mouth. If the bacteria is unbalanced dental issues like cavities would be more prevalent because the mouth is the first part of the digestive system. I can say I always have had tons of cavities and I do not eat much sugar and am trying to have a healthy diet. Overall cavities in my lifetime would be too many to count. Severity of acne would be moderate.

Here is the video I'm talking about:

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/03/2012 7:38 am

I've had at least 5 or 6 cavities, never any fillings though. When the dentist told me about the cavities I opted not to do treatment and instead heal them on my own through natural methods. He acted like I was crazy and now here I am a few years later, no more cavitiies or tooth pain! Ha ha!

MemberMember
(@gemmyjunebug)

Posted : 02/03/2012 11:46 am

When I was little and up to the age of 25 or so, I always,always, had cavities. I also had de-calcification on the front of my teeth. Pretty? Huh? My dentist and ortho for braces were never happy with me...which honestly pissed me off. I'm OCD about flossing, brushing, tongue scraping..I go above and beyond. Which actually truly offended me. They looked at my teeth and assumed I was not taking the proper measures regarding my oral hygiene. To make matters worse my braces always popped off, and my teeth hurt. Which of course was once again -my fault for not doing what I was suppose to do. BS. I was the only kid in grade school that had packed lunches with healthy food. I didn't even know what a fruit roll-up was? High school no soda, no crap, super healthy. I got so frustrated at them for their assumed character attack I removed my braces and switched dentist.

It wasn't until I was referred to another that the magic started happening. Meaning light bulbs went off and problems were solved. I was doing everything right, but what was going on in my mouth was causing the problems.

I have soft teeth, TMJ, crooked bite, silver fillings(bad by the way). That's a lot to take in...

I grind my teeth when I sleep. Which can cause major problems. More so when you have soft teeth. My teeth grinding more so than anything was causing my cavities and popping my braces. The acid in my mouth along with the teeth grinding was causing the decalcification.

I've fixed the problems and had my silver removed from all of my teeth and had white composite added. My teeth look amazing and feel great. No more cavities or problems.

However, I did notice the other day..I have a whitish tongue. What's up with that?

MemberMember
(@aceepidermis)

Posted : 02/03/2012 12:03 pm

I've never had a cavity in my life, nor any sort of unnecessary dental surgery. My dentist did note at one time I was developing a caity, but I doubled up on my teeth cleaning and quashed that problem. When I went for my next appoint she confirmed that no such cavity had formed.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 02/03/2012 12:54 pm

I've had at least 5 or 6 cavities, never any fillings though. When the dentist told me about the cavities I opted not to do treatment and instead heal them on my own through natural methods. He acted like I was crazy and now here I am a few years later, no more cavitiies or tooth pain! Ha ha!

very interesting, i have a similar story but i have completely lost a filling and decided just to leave it an not get it refilled, it has been two years and it has not become any worse there is absolutely no pain. the general belief is that once the outer enamel has been breached, supposedly you can kiss the rest of the tooth good bye, im still waiting for that day, im sure its a weaker area but it just has not been a problem yet. still keeping an eye on it though.

this may not be common knowledge to most people, but our saliva contains calcium for the sole purpose of remineralizing our teeth, it is when the bacteria in our mouths produce more acid then the saliva can keep up with is when a cavity usually forms. the acids that bacteria produce bind with minerals in your teeth, and contribute to caries/cavities.

MemberMember
(@sen1)

Posted : 02/03/2012 1:25 pm

Im 22, have 1 filling, last check up was about 4 months ago.

MemberMember
(@gemmyjunebug)

Posted : 02/03/2012 1:56 pm

very interesting, i have a similar story but i have completely lost a filling and decided just to leave it an not get it refilled, it has been two years and it has not become any worse there is absolutely no pain. the general belief is that once the outer enamel has been breached, supposedly you can kiss the rest of the tooth good bye, im still waiting for that day, im sure its a weaker area but it just has not been a problem yet. still keeping an eye on it though.

this may not be common knowledge to most people, but our saliva contains calcium for the sole purpose of remineralizing our teeth, it is when the bacteria in our mouths produce more acid then the saliva can keep up with is when a cavity usually forms. the acids that bacteria produce bind with minerals in your teeth, and contribute to caries/cavities.

Is this why some people have white tongues?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 02/03/2012 4:41 pm

Dental health issues such as gum disease cause inflammation.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 02/03/2012 5:44 pm

Yep. The whole "once enamel is gone it's gone forever" thing is a total lie. I think they invented it to sell that fluoride laden toothpaste crap, which only makes the problem worse. I'm living proof that you can remineralize... one of my cavities was visible (a little pin sized hole) on the front of my tooth. It's gone now.

I oil pull daily, use herbal tooth powder, and eat tons of fresh greens. That's what turned my dental situation around. I used to barely be able to eat because my teeth hurt so badly.