Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
limpbizkitfan

There Is No Cure For Acne

I came to the realization that acne vulgaris is a permanent skin condition. Once you have it, it's there to haunt you for life. I think all the ppl on here claiming they got clear...are all either lying or dillusional.

I don't think it's possible for someone who has acne prone skin to be clear longer than a week. Much less get clear and stay clear for the rest of their life.

No matter how healthy I eat, I still get breakouts. Creams and lotions don't work and accutane only lasts a year, water fasting is just a temporary fix.

All I have been eating is fruits and vegetables and lots of water and I'm still getting breakouts!! How could I be "intolerant" to vegetables?!!!!! It's nott logical.....I can't go the rest of my life eating this way or I will die from anorexia, malnutrition, or nutrient defficiencies.

85% of people have acne at some point of their life. When you look around you, do 85% of people have acne? Then you are wrong. Hopefully that makes you feel better haha.

Well, you are only correct in saying there is no cure for acne. That is true. There's no cure for heart and and vascular disease or diabetes either. There are very few cures for anything.

But we are not at all dillusional when we clear our skin via diet. You have only been eating healthy for a couple of weeks, if you are actually eating healthy. I doubt it. You appeared here just a couple of weeks ago with a terrible diet, completely clueless on what a good diet entails, and now you think you've given it your best shot? You have not given it enough time.

Edited by alternativista

To be fair, nobody ever claimed there was a cure. Nor is it delusional of people to say they cleared their acne through diet.

I've cleared my acne through cutting out processed foods and reducing my dairy and yeast intake. The connection is right there for me to see when I look in the mirror - I had acne before I changed my diet and now I don't. I know it's not a "cure" in the true sense, of course, because that doesn't exist, but if it keeps the acne at bay and keeps my skin clear then it amounts to the same thing as far as I'm concerned. The beauty of that is that it means I'm in control because I know what the triggers are and can essentially dictate whether or not the acne comes back. The key is finding your own personal triggers.

Don't give up on the diet aspect of things. Even if that's not the root of it - perhaps it's hormonal, for example - a skin-friendly diet can always be of benefit. There's no need at all to do stuff like water fasting or live on just fruit and veg. It's not about taking drastic measures or making extreme changes, there's just no need for it. If anything, sudden changes like that mess with your body more than not making any changes at all.

Sure, I'll admit that I know jack about nutrition but what I do is the things I'm intolerant of and the things which for me trigger acne and eczema because I spotted a pattern between my regular eating habits and the regular breakouts of acne and eczema. Then through a bit of elimination and trial and error, worked out the things I needed to cut from my diet.

Don't get yourself stressed about food. Eat as well as you can within your means, enjoy your food and be mindful of anything you find along the way which you think is a trigger. Might take a bit of time and patience but there's every chance that you'd be able to tweak your diet so that it's contributes to improving the overall condition of your skin.

smile.png

LOL there is no cure if their was it would be on the market and everyone with acne would tak this miracle pill and be clear FOR EVER but theres just no way. doctors dont know why acne appears they just know how to help it and prevent new ones from happening.

unfortunately everyone is different and it takes MONTHS of trial and error to find what works for you. try one thing for a month it doesnt work trash it. try a new thing for a month doesnt work trash it. try a new thing for a month *DING DING* winner. it just takes time girly... i know it SUCKS for EVERYONE OF US!! but you cant give up. trust me if you do nothing about it it will get even worse. after 4 months of me trial and erroring i finally found my cure :) hate to burst your bubble but my skin is clearing immensively! im so excited. but i wll let you know if it doesnt last. and then i will be on to a new search. but atleast i will have a good approach to work from to know that this helped even the slightest bit and then i can find my full proof cure for acne!

just dont give up. theres people on this board that have been experiementing with different things for years and years. trust me there are 1 billion personal regimen logs on this forum. i know you havent tried all of them yourself to see if they help ;)

good luck!

^ hard to admit, i hate it too, but accutane cures a good porcentage of people for life, or course, they're not around this forum

hey... we all know how you feel, we've been there too, thinking there's no solution, but believe me, there is. At some point, i wanted to go to witch or something, to make a spell and make acne go away, then i found out the real causes of it, a non-healthy life. The last thing you can lose is hope.

About the breakouts, are eating too much fruit? how many pieces a day? dont forget exercise, sleep, supplementation (zin,c omega 3, b5, b12, cod liver oil, etc,etc.)

ps: dont want to sound rude or anything, but your body is not going to be healed in 2 weeks

Edited by Chestercool

I came to the realization that acne vulgaris is a permanent skin condition. Once you have it, it's there to haunt you for life. I think all the ppl on here claiming they got clear...are all either lying or dillusional.

Dang...and I was this close to carrying out my plan of making everyone eat healthier... :P

I'm going to be completely honest, your other posts don't indicate that you are emotionally stable, which is probably why you're making overgeneralizations and making yourself feel hopeless. Not a confrontation, just something I've noticed among users who tend give up very easily. Your mental health is very important towards your overall health, ya know.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary

^ hard to admit, i hate it too, but accutane cures a good porcentage of people for life, or course, they're not around this forum

hey... we all know how you feel, we've been there too, thinking there's no solution, but believe me, there is. At some point, i wanted to go to witch or something, to make a spell and make acne go away, then i found out the real causes of it, a non-healthy life. The last thing you can lose is hope.

About the breakouts, are eating too much fruit? how many pieces a day? dont forget exercise, sleep, supplementation (zin,c omega 3, b5, b12, cod liver oil, etc,etc.)

ps: dont want to sound rude or anything, but your body is not going to be healed in 2 weeks

accutane destroys subem and pores. accutane has NOTHING to do with bacteria on your skin. it may help for alot of people but there are also a good percentage on this forum stating that they had acne ome back after accutane. even today. acne can be caused by sebum, bacteria, DHT, bad digestive, and insulin. these are my theories. thats it. theres no other reason to have acne unless is an intolerence to food or a real disease like candida. and in that case you would just have to drop the factors for the intolerence and or the variables that cause candida. and you would be acne free. if that doesnt work. then its one of the other elements ive listed.

Edited by dreamingofclearskin2011

accutane destroys subem and pores. accutane has NOTHING to do with bacteria on your skin. it may help for alot of people but there are also a good percentage on this forum stating that they had acne ome back after accutane. even today. acne can be caused by sebum, bacteria, DHT, bad digestive, and insulin. these are my theories. thats it. theres no other reason to have acne unless is an intolerence to food or a real disease like candida. and in that case you would just have to drop the factors for the intolerence and or the variables that cause candida. and you would be acne free. if that doesnt work. then its one of the other elements ive listed.

isotretinoin shrinks sebaceus glands, no excess sebum, no acne, you can still have a pimple every the other time due to inflammation food allergies and intolerances cause but you have eliminated one of the two main acne factors. Nobody said it destroys bacteria or something. No matter the side effects, it does cure acne for a good percentage of people. Same as quimiotherapy, it cures some peoples cancer, not all. so there is a cure, but it doesnt work for everybody. In fact, i think accutane cures 60-70% of people (derms claim its 90%). What we do with a healthy lifestyle is something similar, excess sebum production is reduced, same as hyperkeratinization. The point of this comment is that there is a cure for some people, and it is a derivate of vitamin A, isotretinoin. For example, today this girl made this thread http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/310107-almost-six-years-post-accutane/ she has been clear for six years

what im stating is that acne isnt always just from excessive sebum production. you could have a bacterial infection on your face.a soap that isnt irritant at all or alkaline that completely destroys bacteria could solve your problem

i was stating that accutane only fixes one situation and that is as you said "shrinks sebaceus glands" but what about the bacteria all over your face.

I am neither lying or delusional when I say I cleared my skin through diet. It is a long tedious process though and takes a lot of mental strength. It took me 10 years to get to where I am today. You have to prepare all of your own meals and really start researching nutrition to make sure you are getting what you need. I am now at the point where I cut so much out of my diet that I need to start adding things back in that are essential to my health. This is posing problems because my body has adjusted to not having these things so anything I add back in seems to give me some reaction, whether it be a small amount of acne or a migraine. Even if you are reacting to foods you are supposed to re-introduce them, one at a time, very slowly back into the diet (if they are healthy and essential) until your body adapts and doesn't react anymore. It's also about healing your gut with probiotics and maintaining a good balance of bacteria to be able to remove toxins in the first place.

I agree with the above posters when they say you haven't given diet changes as much of a chance as you should. Two weeks on fruits and vegetables is not going to make you clear automatically, nor is it healthy for you. You haven't even given your body enough time to adjust and it seems like you are also stressed. You need to eat protein from fish, high quality meat, eggs, good fats etc. Go to sleep early, wake up early, drink tons of water. Add that to your fruits and vegetables and make sure you are eating lot's of food all the time. Start taking a really good probiotic. Start taking fiber. Do this for months, as long as it takes to get your skin clear. You will still continue to break out, but gradually they will become smaller and easier to deal with, until they won't happen anymore. Then once you have been clear for a while start adding foods that are really important to your health back in, one at a time in small doses. You will eventually be able to eat them all again. You probably won't want to go back to eating junk because you will notice a big change in how it makes you feel after you eat it. I'm not a nutritionist and certainly don't know it all, but that would be my best suggestion. Again, it's not easy healing yourself from the inside but it is worth it for so many reasons.

I also think healing acne starts in the mind. You need to not stress about it and to some degree accept it for what it is. It does not make you any better or worse than the next person and worrying about it only makes it worse for you to deal with. There is no miracle cure to make it go away tomorrow. Accutane does work wonders but I would say something closer to 50% of people get their acne back again because they are not addressing the root of the problem: chronic inflammation which comes from poor digestion and nutrient intake in the diet. Finding your way to clear skin is like finding your way through a maze. There are lot's of dead ends but you have to keep trying and change your approach. It's a journey of self discovery and designed to make you address the problems going on within your body. Acne is a symptom, not a permanent skin condition.

And to your original post, you are not intolerant to vegetables. You body is adjusting to a big change you have made and may well be detoxing, undergoing stress from the change and it also sounds like you aren't getting enough food to begin with. Combine that with emotional stress, not sure what you are doing topically but unless it is really simple that might be aggravating your skin as well. We are all here to help you. Don't just give up because something doesn't work in two weeks.

I don't think it's possible for someone who has acne prone skin to be clear longer than a week. Much less get clear and stay clear for the rest of their life.

No matter how healthy I eat, I still get breakouts. Creams and lotions don't work and accutane only lasts a year, water fasting is just a temporary fix.

All I have been eating is fruits and vegetables and lots of water and I'm still getting breakouts!! How could I be "intolerant" to vegetables?!!!!! It's nott logical.....I can't go the rest of my life eating this way or I will die from anorexia, malnutrition, or nutrient defficiencies.

OK so this will generate a ton of pro diet-causes-acne people responses... but I ve been inyour place- doing crazy diets that dont work- and I think I need to share what I and my aethetician and dematologist all agree on(DRS and trained professionals): diet does NOT cause acne...certain things can make it worse but it doesn't cause it. ok? SO dont go nuts on the diets it is mentally and pysically unhealthy. I think your own body does cure it eventually and then usually you start getting wrinkles lol. I say go to a dermatologist or med spa... here is a good quote " If you are going through hell, keep going." winston churchill. I have another good one as a name for my blog but I forget it, it says something like many people dont realize how close they are to success when they give up.....

But what if you modify your diet so that is does work and doesn't need to be stressful?

Stress is up to you to control, ultimately. There aren't stress fairies who tap you on the head and make you want to kill something. Of course eating nothing but iceburg lettuce for like a day or whatever it is you said you were doing isn't going to work! The idea isn't to punish yourself by eating boring food. It's to get excited about eating again! All you gotta do is start cooking your own meals. I feel like people choose to quit in their own way when they're told everyone has different sensitivities and intolerances so it's tricky with clearing acne because it depends on the individual, etc. But believe me. If you're working with whole, organic, nutrient-dense ingredients (excluding the ones which are commonly inflammatory, i.e. acne 'triggers' as much as I detest that term) you will definitely figure out your sensitivities on your own. If you have health insurance, great. Get tested. If not, pish. It's gonna be a guessing game no matter what, IgE or IgG or not. So learn to embrace it!

dreamingofclearskin2011-

I'm not sure if it is leaky gut and or bad diet in my case. I do know I have a bacterial imbalance in my digestive system and know I react most strongly to sugar, wheat and vinegar. I think because I react to these foods and because I also react by getting migraines that for myself I have leaky gut issues going on and an over presence of candida. I am clear but still dealing with adverse reactions from foods if I try them so I'm just trying to heal myself more at the moment.

travelzd-

Of course doctors and dermatologist are going to tell you diet does not cause acne. That is what they learned during university, they have had basically zero training in nutrition and most importantly, their job is to sell you something! Don't be naive. Acne is an generally an internal problem NOT an external problem. Using too many products can also cause/exacerbate acne, but those people would be cleared if they stopped doing anything to their skin, which is a very small percentage. Think about why taking antibiotics works for some people - it is changing the bacterial environment in their gut. The minute they stop the antibiotics they will have acne again because they will develop an overabundance of too much bad bacteria vs. good. Our body doesn't have enough good bacteria to transport all of the toxins that have accumulated out of our system out, so we get inflammation and immune response. Without nutrient and mineral dense foods these bad bacteria feed and multiply on the junk food we give them and can also deplete us of other vitamins and minerals. If we have all the nutrients we need, are not abusing our skin, have a healthy balance of bacteria in our gut we will not get acne.

it can improve and it can go away, perhaps there was a moment where you have observed in your own experiance your skin in a better condition, that may be something you cannot deny, the ultimate question is why does it get better and why does it get worse, stress is highly involved, sleep is involved, emotions are involved and diet is involved, and maybe even genetics are involved. i have seen in my own experiance and other peoples faces, them break out horribly, then recover, without drugs, and sometimes without any diet alterations. it happens but its hard to know precisely why and how to do it right, its definitely complicated.

so what are you saying, the fight isnt worth it?

that YOU arent worth it?

that solving this isnt worth it?

oh, its worth the effort.

and what happens if you are wrong? and you CAN get through this?

you will regret giving up.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

In addition, to what has been stated here before. My dermatologist told me to cut down on milk related products, lessen the intake of carbohydrates, eat more healthy and exercise to get the stress out of me. So, those doctors and dermatologist who are keeping up with what research provides them nowadays, are aware of the fact that your diet has effect on acne.

autonomousone1980: I didn't say that the fight is not worth it, I will still eat healthy for the rest of my life but, I am just saying that I don't think eating super healthy is going to clear my acne 100%...I notice I am breaking out less but, is it gonna go away all together?

I am quiting my super restriction diet and am going to eat overall healthy, so I don't get any nutrient deficiencies or other health issues. Do I think this healthy way of eating will clear my acne? No. I'm scared inside thinking my face is gonna explode w/ breakouts the next few weeks and just get worse.

For some reason, I think if i eat only lettuce and raw salad willl clear me and if i eat overall healthy, high nutrition and healthy fats and meat im going to start breaking out...it's weird.

But the breakouts that i have now might be from my kefir? Since iread on the label it has regular milk AND cultured milk, and milk is suppost to be the worst thing in the world for acne.

Edited by limpbizkitfan

OK so this will generate a ton of pro diet-causes-acne people responses... but I ve been inyour place- doing crazy diets that dont work- and I think I need to share what I and my aethetician and dematologist all agree on(DRS and trained professionals): diet does NOT cause acne...certain things can make it worse but it doesn't cause it. ok?

Crazy diets don't work. That is true. And you shouldn't do crazy diets. What you should do is eat plenty of real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory, in blood sugar stabilizing meals that don't include anything you have an intolerance to. And that is good for every health condition and it retards aging. Because that is how humans should eat. Anything else, is crazy.

And your athetician and your dermatologist are only right in that diet doesn't cause acne, exactly. First there's a genetic component. And then there' the things you do to yourself that screw up hormones, cause chronic inflammation and impair your body's ability to function which lead to the visible symptom of acne. That includes diet, but also includes things like sleep and stress. But then, diet affects those as well.

Edited by alternativista

i say diet doesnt do anything at all for acne unless you have an intolerance to foods. ie i broke out to yogurt. but i havent been breaking out to chocolate, cake and other granola bars that i have been avoiding for 3 months... find a good cleanser one that is ph balance and kills bacteria. the end. if your acid mantle isnt stripped your face wont be exploding with excessive sebum.

OK so this will generate a ton of pro diet-causes-acne people responses... but I ve been inyour place- doing crazy diets that dont work- and I think I need to share what I and my aethetician and dematologist all agree on(DRS and trained professionals): diet does NOT cause acne...certain things can make it worse but it doesn't cause it. ok?

Crazy diets don't work. That is true. And you shouldn't do crazy diets. What you should do is eat plenty of real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory, in blood sugar stabilizing meals that don't include anything you have an intolerance to. And that is good for every health condition and it retards aging. Because that is how humans should eat. Anything else, is crazy.

I love this response when people say the phrase "crazy diets" :P

autonomousone1980: I didn't say that the fight is not worth it, I will still eat healthy for the rest of my life but, I am just saying that I don't think eating super healthy is going to clear my acne 100%...I notice I am breaking out less but, is it gonna go away all together?

I am quiting my super restriction diet and am going to eat overall healthy, so I don't get any nutrient deficiencies or other health issues. Do I think this healthy way of eating will clear my acne? No. I'm scared inside thinking my face is gonna explode w/ breakouts the next few weeks and just get worse.

For some reason, I think if i eat only lettuce and raw salad willl clear me and if i eat overall healthy, high nutrition and healthy fats and meat im going to start breaking out...it's weird.

But the breakouts that i have now might be from my kefir? Since iread on the label it has regular milk AND cultured milk, and milk is suppost to be the worst thing in the world for acne.

i agree, an overall sensible diet would be best.

i apologize if i sounded like i was accusing you of giving up.

i agree, acne is sensitive to dairy products, i manage this issue by eating only two pieces of string cheese perday supplying 400mg of calcium, in addition to 600mg calcium phosphate supplements, i use the brand posture d and i buy it from swanson vitamins, it is very similar to the natural calcium in milk, i have tried all other forms of calcium supplements and this one just works best while the others make me feel strange, ive tried citrate and carbonate, and then realized when i got all my calcium from cheese that was when i felt the best, which prompted me to look for anything that was the most similar to milk, and milk contains calcium phosphate, just like the supplement.

There is a cure for acne, but not everyone will be successful, because almost everyone's cure will be different. I did cure my acne, has been 6 years, no new acne. People sometimes grow out of acne, as in cure it, because DHT/testosterone decreases in the blood as one ages, this eliminates most acne problems, however, this is not the case with everyone.

I am just saying that I don't think eating super healthy is going to clear my acne 100%...I notice I am breaking out less but, is it gonna go away all together?

You haven't given it enough time. And I don't mean the cabbage only diet. I mean, cutting out/reducing sugar, grains, dairy, hydrogenated/trans fats and processed foods in favor of real, whole nutrient dense foods?

I am quiting my super restriction diet and am going to eat overall healthy, so I don't get any nutrient deficiencies or other health issues.

Good. You should not go on a cabbage only diet except perhaps as a temporary fast. I gave you a list of nutrient dense foods with more than enough calories to which few people have an intolerance for.

And do you even know what healthy is?

^^^ Yeah i had enough time on my hands to read about what's healthy. So far this is what I cam to conclusion:

-organic meat, organic organ meat.

-Fish (clams, oysters)

-raw sesame seeds

-ground flax seeds

-avacados

-fruit (exclusing citrus) & limited fruit consumption

-baked vegetables w/ coconut oil (excluding midnight shades, and starchy vegetables)

-small amounts of raisins & dried fruit

-homemade fermented vegetables

-zinc suppliments

-2 to 3 Liters of water per day

-vegetable soup with bone broth & meat broth.

-EVOO

-green leafy vegetables for a raw salad w/ lemon and EVOO & pepper

-boiled greens (the really fibrous, dense ones)

And cut out: Grains, gluten, dairy, wheat, soy, eggs, corn, starch, midnight shades, sugar, and oil (besides coconut & EVOO).

*But I don't really like eating meat, it kinda makes me feel sick so I would probably avoid meat and suppliment with B complex. I like fresh tasting clean stuff like fish, vegetables, and fresh fruit.

This is healthy right?