Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rybo13

So Now What?

Hey everyone, I have been a long time reader of this forum and finally have decided its time to share some of my experiences with the disease known as acne. I am a 24 year old male, I have had mild/moderate acne since I was probably 13. My face was bad in high school and slowly got a little better, but recently my neck has gone crazy. I constantly get big painful pimples along where my collar rests at work and its quite embarrassing.

I recently went to the Derm again after trying every antibiotic known and having mild success. My acne would clear on my face but as soon as I would end the antibiotic course they would come back with fury. One constant has remained throughout my years fighting acne and that is my shoulders. My shoulders for as long as I can remember have always had terrible acne. So I finally got a prescription for accutane and I started last week.

40 MG a day Clavaris. My doctor said this is mostly for my shoulders, I have been taking 1 pill a day now for a week and so far have not really had any side effects I could directly relate to accutane. I was wondering if anyone knows when the dryness and other side effects really start to kick in? Thank you all and I look forward to sharing stories with everyone.

-Ryan.

I started getting side effects (dry lips) after five days, but the time for the side effects to appear is almost certainly going to depend on dosage (mg/kg/day, not just mg/day). I was at ~4 mg/kg cumulatively when I got the dry lips (i.e., my dosage was 40 mg/day, I weigh 50 kg, and 5 days had passed before the effects appeared). Whether you get side effects probably depends on other factors too. You can look at the Accutane logs and people's blogs to get a sense of the distributions. Some people get far fewer side effects than others.