Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Figured this thread would be a good idea for people who, like me, have hit rock bottom (at least I hope it can't get any worse for me right now).

Anyone have any stories about a time where they were at their lowest, almost to the point of abandoning all hope...and then suddenly things turned around for the better and they are now clear of all marks/acne/etc.? Right now I have no hope...I am trying to think about how good it is going to feel when (or if) a day comes where I can look back at this and laugh...but it's tough. Maybe hearing some stories about how others were in the same boat at some point will help me and others increase our hopes somewhat, haha.

I'm literally wishing my life away -- hoping time hurries up and the days go by quickly, so I can finally get to the day where I don't look like a wreck with all my marks. I stumbled upon some old pictures the other day in which I was relatively clear, and I wanted to cry.

There will never be a point where I'll look back and laugh and I've had some pretty negative experiences because of acne over the years. I'd rather just forget the whole thing. There are good things to come out of it though because it led me here and I figured out how to clear my acne. Made friends with people here as well which is always a bonus. The stories I've read and the knowledge I gained helped me learn about the dietary and holistic ways to clear acne. I started to learn about what foods, aspects of my lifestyle and emotions such as stress and anxiety trigger my acne. Having made changes to my diet - mainly a big reduction in dairy and yeast - I'm acne free for the first time in years.

I've been at rock bottom and wanted to give up on everything because of where I ended up. I ended up there because of how I struggled to cope with acne, even if it was sometimes only mild. My lack of confidence meant I just couldn't handle it.

I'm honestly not sure I could have got much lower. I always figured that hitting the bottom means that the only way is up. Then, as if to confirm that, I found what I think is going to keep me clear. I found that even after thirteen years, it can be done. :)

Hey Paul,

First, I'm glad to hear you think you have found what works for you!

Second, you're right -- maybe "laugh" was not the best wording. I agree, I've had some rough, rough days where I have just felt awful, and there's nothing funny about that. Perhaps "look back and breathe a sigh of relief that you finally have beaten it" would have been better, heh.

I just need to stop looking in the f***ing mirror so often. Sometimes I like what I see (relatively speaking, of course, in terms of improvement), and other times I feel like I haven't made any improvement at all. I'm so tired of this up and down roller coaster shit, and I can't envision myself as of right now ever being clear.

Edited by JSA

I'm literally wishing my life away -- hoping time hurries up and the days go by quickly, so I can finally get to the day where I don't look like a wreck with all my marks.

That particular line hit home to me as I do it so, so much. It feels like I'm going nuts sometimes, telling myself 'in the future it will be fine' or 'it will have gone by blahblahblah' doesn't help me it just seems like everything is in slow motion when you want to fast forward parts of your life like that, resulting in the present time being even worse than it should be.

I wouldn't say I have hit rock bottom before, but I have come pretty damn close. You have to keep going, even when you feel like s**t because you can't just give up - it will get you nowhere. Persevering even when you have nothing left in the tank anymore is one of the hardest things to do, but its because of this that when you (finally) make it out the other side, the sense of accomplishment will be great - knowing that you pulled through even when you were just sick of everything.

Who knows, you may even look back and be thankful for such an experience (hear me out here) in the sense of what it has taught you or changed you as a person for the better. In an odd way, I am glad I had a terrible 2011 as it made me a tougher person mentally (something I had always somewhat lacked in) and taught me about myself - how I react to things I had never considered and how best to deal with things in my own way.

Keep plugging away, your future self will be grateful for it I am sure.

Oh yeah, I knew what you meant by "laugh". I just can't imagine that I'll ever get to a point where I go, 'I was silly to think and act how I did', because to a degree, it's all served to help me cope. The only problem was that those coping mechanisms have stayed in place for longer than they should have and so started doing me more harm than good. So don't worry, I knew where you were coming from.

"Roller coaster" is a great term for those emotions. When your emotions are influenced directly by your skin and your skin changes quite literally from day to day, the emotions can do the same. I always felt like I could go through polar opposites several times a day depending on what my skin was doing and of course how I felt about what I saw whenever I happened to look in the mirror. That drastic swing of emotions on such a regular basis doesn't do our skin any good and it certainly isn't good for our health overall. I'm still kind of learning where that matter is concerned because to do things like check the mirror during the day, approach everything with caution, and of course worry what I'll be greeted with first thing in a morning have all become habits over the years. I guess they'll fade if and when I become more comfortable with my skin and my appearance. Those thought processes have been in place for half my life so it's bound to take time. I'm just not going to dwell on it or put pressure on myself to make drastic changes. I'm not going to get carried away with the progress my skin has made either. Free to enjoy it of course, but it's best to keep things in perspective just to be safe.

You'll get there eventually, with your skin and how you feel in general, just takes time. Not only that, but like MJR194 said, you may even find there are positives to be taken from it. I certainly feel my experience with acne has made me a better person and I'm far more understanding and empathic than I'm sure I would have been had I coasted along and had a huge ego like the kids who bullied me in school about my acne. The way I see it now is that they may have had better skin and they may have gotten the better of me then, but at least I can honestly say I'm a nice person, whereas I doubt they could say the same if their school days are anything to go by...

smile.png

I'm literally wishing my life away -- hoping time hurries up and the days go by quickly, so I can finally get to the day where I don't look like a wreck with all my marks.

That particular line hit home to me as I do it so, so much. It feels like I'm going nuts sometimes, telling myself 'in the future it will be fine' or 'it will have gone by blahblahblah' doesn't help me it just seems like everything is in slow motion when you want to fast forward parts of your life like that, resulting in the present time being even worse than it should be.

I wouldn't say I have hit rock bottom before, but I have come pretty damn close. You have to keep going, even when you feel like s**t because you can't just give up - it will get you nowhere. Persevering even when you have nothing left in the tank anymore is one of the hardest things to do, but its because of this that when you (finally) make it out the other side, the sense of accomplishment will be great - knowing that you pulled through even when you were just sick of everything.

Who knows, you may even look back and be thankful for such an experience (hear me out here) in the sense of what it has taught you or changed you as a person for the better. In an odd way, I am glad I had a terrible 2011 as it made me a tougher person mentally (something I had always somewhat lacked in) and taught me about myself - how I react to things I had never considered and how best to deal with things in my own way.

Keep plugging away, your future self will be grateful for it I am sure.

Yeah, I do the "it will be gone by" thing often. I've learned now that doing so is pointless -- it just set's you up for disappointment. I still do it though, ha. I've been unrealistic in the past, but now I'm hoping to be pretty much clear by the end of December 2012 -- almost an entire year. That's when my family is planning a trip overseas. As sad as it makes me, if it comes time to book the plane tickets and I don't think I can get to my goal in time, there is no way in hell am I going. The last thing I want to do is worry about this shit all vacation long.

I agree completely -- you have to keep going, even at your lowest.Giving up not only will get you nowhere, but it will likely make things worse, and you'll regress instead of progress. I understand what you are saying in that this experience can make you a stronger person, and that is one good thing to come out of it I guess. But I don't think I will ever look back and be glad or thankful for any of this -- all the negatives greatly outweigh the positive of becoming a slightly stronger person. I get what you're saying, but I just can't think that way, lol. At least you can put a positive spin on it though! cool.png

And lets hope all of our futures are better, heh.

Oh yeah, I knew what you meant by "laugh". I just can't imagine that I'll ever get to a point where I go, 'I was silly to think and act how I did', because to a degree, it's all served to help me cope. The only problem was that those coping mechanisms have stayed in place for longer than they should have and so started doing me more harm than good. So don't worry, I knew where you were coming from.

"Roller coaster" is a great term for those emotions. When your emotions are influenced directly by your skin and your skin changes quite literally from day to day, the emotions can do the same. I always felt like I could go through polar opposites several times a day depending on what my skin was doing and of course how I felt about what I saw whenever I happened to look in the mirror. That drastic swing of emotions on such a regular basis doesn't do our skin any good and it certainly isn't good for our health overall. I'm still kind of learning where that matter is concerned because to do things like check the mirror during the day, approach everything with caution, and of course worry what I'll be greeted with first thing in a morning have all become habits over the years. I guess they'll fade if and when I become more comfortable with my skin and my appearance. Those thought processes have been in place for half my life so it's bound to take time. I'm just not going to dwell on it or put pressure on myself to make drastic changes. I'm not going to get carried away with the progress my skin has made either. Free to enjoy it of course, but it's best to keep things in perspective just to be safe.

I can completely relate to this. I said to myself a few weeks ago that looking in the mirror all the time is just going to make me feel awful, and I promised myself to look in the mirror maybe once every few days or so. But it's hard to break the pattern I had established -- look in the mirror the moment I wake up, a few times throughout the day, and before I go to bed. Despite the fact that I know nothing has really changed from just a few hours ago, I'll still look in the mirror to see if I feel any different about how I look.

It's just so hard not to. At home, I have a mirror in the hallway outside my room, a mirror in every bathroom, etc. At school, I have a mirror in my dorm room, a mirror in the bathroom of course...sometimes you just look in the mirror on accident, lol. I'm sure my mood wouldn't swing so rapidly if I could avoid these habits, but alas, it's tough to break like you said.