Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello all,

I'm wondering If anyone here can recommend me a sun screen that is gentle on sensitive skin (doesn't burn) and doesn't turn skin white?

I use banana boat baby sun lotion spf 50. It doesn't irritate my skin, and believe me I have very sensitive skin, and absorbs into the skin well without leaving the skin with a sticky feeling or oily appearance that many sun creams do. It doesn't appear to make my skin white. I did not notice an increase in acne either when I was using it although I tended to wash it off as soon as I was out of the sun just in case.

Physical sunscreens are what generally give the white cast on skin due the use of Titanium Dioxide and Zinc. They are mostly used in sensitive skin products because lack of irritation and healing abilities of zinc. They are safe for sensitive skin and acne-prone skin. I prefer these over chemical sunscreens but I agree the white cast can come off quite ghostly. It truly depends on the formulation and just how much is used in the products. Some are definitely not as white as others. I just have bad luck with chemical sunscreens. No matter how gentle, I get pimples. I've done some research and would be willing to try some of these chemical sunscreens products. But as for now, I'll stick with the Zinc and Titanium physical sunblocks.

http://www.laroche-posay.us/_us/_en/consumer/catalog/anthelios.aspx?

Edited by gemmyjunebug

Thanks for the replies all. I might try the Image Skincare Hydrating Moisturizer SPF 30

I use Lumiplexion Daily Definitive Sunscreen Gel. It's SPF 30 and specifically made for acne-prone skin. One of the ingredients is Titanium Dioxide but it does not make your skin white. They do carry a zinc sunscreen for those very sensitive to chemicals if needed. I've used the sunscreen over the last 20+ years and it's never broken me out.

I'm also looking for a sunscreen for sensitive skin and that doesn't turn my skin white. Also you know how on the bottle or packaging on the sunscreen says "apply 15-30 minutes before sun expose." What happens if you expose yourself before 15 minutes cause one of my friends says you have to reapply because the expose dries it out and another friend says you'll just be unprotected till the sunscreen is absorbed. Which one is it?

I found a great one and I have tried everything. It is called 'Reflect SPF 30 by CosMedix'. The main ingredient is Titanium Dioxide. It is very thin; it is actually a spray you spray on your hands then apply to your face; so you can rub it in easaly and it absorbs well to avoid the white cast. My only complaint is the price is $44, but it is a generous bottle that lasts a long time. I order it from dermstore.com which has free shipping plus you can try the products and return them if you don't like them.

Olay Complete Sensitive skin SPF 15 has zinc oxide and oxinate in it. I use it under my make up:) Its oil free, noncomagenical and it doesnt feel slimysurprised.gif I'm more of a 'all natural' person but I read somewhere that oxinate is used to fade scars so I was ok using it! But when I'm home or working outside or swimming etc I use Badger SPF 15 with zinc oxide. It's orgainc and won't clog pores and all the stuff it it is reallllllllllly good for your skin! Sometimes I even put it on before I go to sleep shifty.gif . Badger also makes a SPF 30 with Titaniam Dioxide in it. I haven't tried it yet but prob. will this summer. I have VERY fair skin so sunscreen is a must for me everyday. Hope this helps someone!

Delighfully, Merolleyes.gif