Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

rarely do i see anyone addressing the issue of the anxiety that is associated with having acne, part of my personal theory is that stress and anxiety provokes acne, but here are a few things you could try that may work for you, and they are available over the counter.

GABA supplements- most prescription anti-anxiety drugs modulate gaba activity or are gaba agonists/activate the recepter, at least from what i have read. you will read that gaba cannot easily cross the blood brain barrier, yet their are no shortages of testimonys to the contrary, the supplements still have many backers, so it seems worth trying.

Glycine- its an amino acid, and also a major neurotransmitter this can help you sleep and has some anti-anxiety properties, gelatin is actually very high in glycine, so all you home made chicken soup lovers, this may explain some of the medicinal qualitys of chicken soup.

Rhodiola Rosea- this is classified as an adaptogenic herb and can reduce stress hormones, is an aphrodisiac, and can give you energy during the day as well as help you sleep, as far as it has been claimed, i have not tried it yet, just passing the word along.

vitamin c- has been proven to lower cortisol seemingly in higher doses, 1000-2000 mg. the largest concentrations of vitamin c are in your adrenal gland and pituitary gland, these glands are involved in the stress response, from the studys i have read, being under stress depletes your vitamin c stores quicker, and taking extra vitamin c when you are under stress, can help normalize the stress response a bit.

magnesium- magnesium is excreted in urine when under stress, taking extra magnesium can help normalize your ability to handle stress. try the forms magnesium glycinate chelate, or MG taurinate, or MG Chloride, i have had bad experiances with MG citrate, it will restore your magnesium quickly over the first 3 days, then if you continue to use it, you will be tired, so there is something up with that stuff and i have double check my conclusions, not only with myself but with other people experiances too, i use magnesium glycinate chelate with no problems.

my own personal tip: eat lots of broccoli and cauliflower, this really calms me down, i eat an entire frozen bag a day, now i dont feel the same without it, and yes it is quite expensive. also, of the above three suggestion, i make my own broth for flavoring food, which contain gelatin and glycine, so i can attest to glycines ability to help calm the mind and aid sleep, this has also been studied with 3 grams being effective.

Magnesium has also been a dramatic improvement in my life, it can cure 75% of your depression within two days, if you are depressed that is.

there are more products im sure, so feel free to contribute to the thread if you like.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

I have to add DR BACH'S FLOWER REMEDIES (i'm not affiliated with these, I don't sell them or make any money from talking about them. I just think they're awesome) to the list of otc anti-anxiety things. They've helped me through my most stressful times, and are great for every-day use. I'm not a pro on this, so if you're interested i suggest you look it up on google cos there are lots of great sites that explain it more thouroughly (like http://www.healingherbs.co.uk/remedies/, but these are the basics:

There are 38 remedies split into three sections; the 12 Healers, the 7 Helpers and the Second 19

Out of these you choose up to 5 remedies, preferably one of the healers, 1-2 of the helpers and 1-2 of the 2nd 19.

The Five Flower Remedy (sometimes known as the Rescue Remedy) is the most famous one that helps with strong anxiety, shock, emotional distress and the like.

You base your choice of remedies by identifying what types of emotions you want to deal with. Emotions and mental states are split into 7 groups. For me, Crab Apple (one of the 2nd 19, emotional grop Despondecy or Despair) helps me a lot, since my anxious picking is usually a result of feeling unclean, messy, not put together, dirty and very disturbed by all this.

This isn't for everyone, since it's a herbal remedy, not "scientifically proven" or any of that. All I know is that this works for me, I notice the difference and have used these for years.