Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NCsweettea

I May Be One Of The Oldest Members On Here...so Depressing :-( 48 And Cysts....

Hey NC:

Btw, hope your daughter is ok, saw that after I posted....

On the gluten front it really isn't that bad. You can't have wheat, rye, or barley...gluten is hidden in a lot of packaged foods so you have to read labels and really watch soups and sauces when eating out. Having said that....you can have potato, rice, and corn. The gluten thing is so popular now most chain restaurants offer a gluten free menu, I google on my phone and check it before I go. Places like chipolte, baja fresh are easy fast food. I even do quiznos and subway and have everything put on a salad. In the grocery store most places are stocking gluten free sections, progressive puts it on the front of the soup can. You can also buy rice chex, corn chex, and gluten free rice krispies which are a breakfast staple. Having said that I am eating mainly whole foods. I will have the chex cereal with almond milk in the am, a big salad for lunch, tonight I made pizza and used a portobello mushroom cap for the bread instead....not bad. Mexican, thai, sushi (you can't use regular soy sauce, you have to use Tamara soy sauce) are all easy. You can also get gluten free waffles, bread, bread mixes, muffins, in the store if you just need a fix. I am really eating a lot of fruit and veggies but its nice to be able to stray to prepared food if needed. Not that I would recommend it...but lays potato chips are gluten free as are many brands of corn chips....can't give up chips and salsa lol! At least you can go out for a nice dinner and get a steak and potato....not horrible. I am drinking coffee daily so what can I say. Gluten is not the issue for everyone, but it is an issue for a lot of people. I'd rather give up gluten then stress about my face, it's a no brainer for me. See how it works...if this is a trigger for you, you will probably see a difference quickly, I could tell right away....some people say 2-3 weeks they see a change. Whatever you do, stick to it, if you cheat and wheat is your trigger you will never stop the break outs. Keep me posted....I'd love to hear if this works for you. I too have spent so much time, money, and energy and no doctor ever suggested this...it makes me angry. I only hope at least I can help someone else avoid all the waisted time and money. Good luck!!!!

Hi Liz --- I had both skin prick and blood testing for allergies last year. I always knew I was sensitive to sugars, wheat and dairy but was surprised to discover that I am fructose intolerant and have a whole list of food allergies.

I have to avoid all fruit, fruit juices, sugars and sugary foods (except for berries and bananas), corn, tomatoes, and alcohol. I am allergic to celery, shellfish, peas, yellow squash, amaranth, basil, caffeine, cauliflower, chicken, cinnamon, coconut, cod, coffee, egg, hops, lentil, msg, oat, onion, pecan, rye, sodium sulfate, wheat, and I have trouble with dairy and too much soy. I can tolerate some wheat-free soy sauce.

I was supposed to see a registered dietitian last year but procrastinated thinking I could manage on my own. Big mistake...I cheated all over the place. In Nov I finally saw the RD and am now following the diet religiously. I'm learning to love quinoa as my new hot breakfast cereal. I now drink rice milk. I eat lots of potatoes and brown rice. I am no longer a vegetarian but eat free range turkey, wild caught fish, and sometimes pork. When I stopped eating refined carbs and dairy I became hungry for meats! I think the way I eat now is very much like the paleo diet. It is also more like what my native american ancestors ate --- fresh whole foods, beans, wild meats, greens, etc.

Another key element of the diet are the suppliments the RD put me on to help heal the gut and skin. They are:

Zinc Picolinate (absorbs better) 50 mg

Ester C 500 mg

Glutamine (heals gut) 2000 mg

Quercetin with Bromelain (anti-inflammatory) 800 mg + 200 mg

Multi-vitamin (health food store brand - high potency)

Nordic Naturals Omega-3 690 mg

Citrical + D3 (vitamin D is good for healing) 600 mg + 750 iu

Ultra Flora Plus - no dairy (refrigerated high # of live flora)

Flaxseed ground 1-2 tablespoons

And she recommended drinking a green smoothie every day (half of a banana, flax seed meal, bunch of greens - kale, chard, cilantro, spinach, etc, almond butter, rice milk, pumpkin seeds)

Since following the diet for 6 weeks I have not had any cysts but I have had a couple of small pimples. Other than that my skin is looking better. I must emphasize that this is monumental for me since I have always been on hormones or antibiotics or both...for 40+ years...in an effort to keep my skin clear. But I still broke out....and with cysts every other month or so. My derm took me off all of that in Nov. Scary!!!!

The last couple of weeks have been hectic and stressful with traveling but my skin stayed basically clear (...a miracle...). I have a small pimple right now but I think it is due to having eaten Thai food on my trip two days ago. The pad-thai tasted very sweet --- the waitress said they make it with lots of brown sugar. Big mistake for me. Oh well.

I see my wholistic derm and RD in Feb (...I also have a regular derm who has been very good but just recommends the usual stuff and has run out of ideas to help me...) to see how the new regime is working or not.

I am keeping my hopes up. I soooo yearn for something to work. I don't have to have perfect skin...I just want to avoid cysts and really inflamed lesions!

hey cvd

oh my goodness! I have to admit, when I read over the list of all the things you couldn't eat, I was like " OMG, I would starve!!! " cry.gif But, you did remind me of something, and that is glutamine!! I have taken it before for my IBS, with GREAT results. I think I need to take it daily, as clearly it relieves inflammation in the gut......and for someone with IBS, that's important.

@ Liz- my daugher is much better, thanks! She was quite sick with a kidney infection and had to be hospitalized, as the antibiotics the doc gave her clearly weren't working. It was a scary few days, but she's A-OK now. And, to add to that good news, a week out from all that, and I haven't broken out yet from the stress....maybe I won't!! *fingers crossed*

wow CVD, when I saw that list I was like....really....all I am dealing with is gluten.....why am I complaining? lol! The more I am on this sight I am convinced the drs are clueless and this is a diet issue. Keep us posted on your progress, but it sounds like you are on your way to being really clear...that's great. These things can take time and things can be hidden in food which makes it hard. Thanks for posting your supplement list. I am taking a lot of those including the Bromelain. I am also eating bee pollen.

NC: so sorry to hear about your daughter...so scary! I'm glad she is doing well now. You don't need stress lol! Keep us posted on how you are doing....I am really exited to see if this works for you!

NC --- I'm so happy to hear your daughter is doing better! This is wonderful. A sick child puts everything else into perspective!

Yes, it definitely does put things into perspective, this is true ! She's all better now, back to school and kickin' butt, like she always does rolleyes.gif

CVD, I have a few questions for you with regards to your routine....what is the weleda toothpaste for? Do you use it to spot treat, or is it what you use to brush your teeth? I"d read somewhere once that flouride toothpaste can cause breakouts around the mouth, tho my dentist said once that those kinds of breakouts are more like little red bumps, not cysts...I've also heard of using toothpaste as a spot treatment for pimples. One of my friends, who gets only very occasional bumps, says she puts toothpaste on them, and they tend to shrink in a few days. Tho, I"m doubting this is the true nodules she's talking about....

I take Oracea, too....the clear skin diet book does actually mention Oracea, says that studies have been promising with regards to a sub-clinical dose of doxycycline ( which is what Oracea is) being effective at reducing lesions, while having no anti-microbial effects. In other words, it has anti-inflammatory effects but doesnt upset instestinal flora at that dosage. Again, I think it works for my rosacea bumps, but doesn't seem to help with the cysts....

About 2 weeks into my clear skin diet and so far, things seem about the same. My skin does seem a TAD bit less oily, but it's also cold and dry here at the moment, so I"m usually drier in the winter anyway. I did "slip" up yesterday and have a glass of beer shifty.gif ....but it was so goooooood!!! I also decided that one cup of coffee in the a.m. isn't the culprit, but i have added in 2 cups of green tea per day. I found a good brand through Yogi Teas ( Green Tea Energy)....it's not bitter at all, quite enjoyable actually !! No new breakouts, but a new bump seems to be forming very near where the cyst on my chin just was ( it's gone down now, almost completely gone, just a small red bump, easily covered with mineral sheers makeup) I'm prayin' eusa_pray.gif that I can treat it topically!! It doesn't seem as deep as the other cyst was, but I just never know with my face. I surface bump can sometimes turn into a cyst huh.png

Anyway....I will keep you all updated on my progress with the clear skin diet!!

hi all! wow sweettea, ur skin sounds exactly like mine...im 44 and have had acne since i was 18..sometimes bad..sometimes good..unfortunately over a year ago i started to form cystic acne which i never had before. it was devastating and still is...i'll be clear...and then BAM..ill get a cyst..and they are HUGE..its so truly frustrating! im getting married in cpl of weeks, and have big cyst on my cheek, and just got over one by my nose few days ago..im taking doxy again and use tretinoin and benzaclin for spot treatment. ill go few weeks of clear skin, thinking i have conquered acne..but then a cyst will pop up. its so truly frustrating! i still do get cortisone shots if they are huge, sometimes my cysts will get so big it truly damages my skin..but like you i did have one go wrong and still suffer indentation..i was so happy to read ur post and the others bc at our age , u really do believe u are the only one....also the posts have given me so much useful info!! also im so happy to see a make up recomendation bc ive been trying to find good concealer for the wedding...i usually dont wear make up..but for the wedding i want to!! ty all

Yes it is good to know I'm not the only older woman here although I think I may be the oldest (60). I was able to see the head honcho derm at the clinic last week --- in desperation because literally out of nowhere and after a month or so of clear skin (...I too thought the diet was controlling things...) I flared up with not one but four big red inflamed things --- not sure what to call them...big pustules or cysts? So discouraging and by far the worst flare-up I have had in years. I have very fair skin so these things stand out like neon signs...and look lovely at my age. When this happens I worry people will think I use crack or something (one of the signs is red facial lesions). My mind goes into overdrive with anxiety and I'm sure my cortisol levels are through the roof. I do all the de-stress things but about the only thing that helps is to stay home, take naps, and listen to music. After 5 days and being prescribed Oracea and Spiro (again) things are finally calming down. I can actually put on makeup and my skin looks spotty but not inflammed.

Hi Shady --- Dan recommends Almay Smart Shade Concealer. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like it would work really well. I just use Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Loose Powder. It usually works fine...although when I get ones like I did this week I probably need something like the Almay concealer to really cover things.

Hi NC --- The Weleda toothpaste is just for brushing teeth. Two months ago my lips started peeling something awful and the derm recommended it. The thought being that the flouride, SLS, or mint in the regular toothpaste was causing a reaction. I secretly hoped it would magically cure my acne --- that what I have been dealing with all along is a case of perioral acne...but no such luck. Although I have noticed less irritation around my mouth and somewhat less plugged pores since switching.

I got the Clear Skin Diet book and have read it cover to cover during my exile from the world this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion, NC. I actually have started following most of the things recommended since my diet changed in Nov. The only things I still needed to do was lay off margarine (which I use way too much of) and to add green tea. I am several days into doing both. I am definately intrigued with eating more like the Japanese although I can react to spicy things like too much mustard and soy sauce. But maybe I'm wrong on that. It gets so confusing to know what is causing what.

The thing that helps with cysts for me is Spiro. It doesn't stop them completely (I got 4 last year) but I get less. It also dries up the sebum eneough that my skin is a bit less oily. The spiro was stopped in Oct by my reg derm...I think to see if I could manage without it. NO. After 2 months I'm back to greasy skin and a terrible flare-up. The head honcho derm, Dr Naverson, says some people are just very sensitive to androgens and spiro blocks the receptors without many side effects. He's also putting me on a course of monthly microdermabrasions (wimp setting as he calls it) to smooth out my skin and unblock pores. I really like and trust him. I actually saw him in my 30's and he remembered me! He put me on accutane back then. So he knows me well. He's one of the best derms in our area. Very hard to see him so I lucked out.

cvd..i too and also very fair skinned..and have prided myself not going out in the sun past 15 yrs or so..i was a sun worshipper in my 20s..but then got wise..im lucky in the sense that for a 44 year old, my skin agewise looks good...but then i suffer with the cysts, it just looks awful. it is so funny you made the comment about crack addict, bc that is always what i tell my fiance..hes always so supportive..but i tell him..i look like a crack addict...i feel like thats what people think when they do look at me when i have outbreak bc most people think nobody in their 40s wld be breaking out..

CVD:

I saw that you had a break out after much success on your diet. I would encourage you to still stick with it. What I have seen with my skin is that many times when eating out or traveling you can eat something that effects your skin and not even know it. You will break out, then it resolves and no new acne forms when you go back to eating at home. (for me I can pin the break out to something I have eaten as I always had new acne forming before I went gluten free.) I hope this helps.

On a make up front, I think I should go into the make up artist business as I would discuss my skin with my friends now that I have figured out the cause of my acne and all they say is ....You have acne? Which is crazy....either no one really pays attention and I could have walked outside with a bad over my head or I do a reall good job of covering it up. I use a really sheer foundation..Neutrogena glow sheers or for something heavier that covers everything if things are really bad Physicians Formula Mineral Wear. I use Smashbox blush that has some mica/ glow to it, and neutrogena healthy skin smoothing stick cover up. I set the whole thing with neutrogena loose power and it stays all day and does not look heavy. I just bought some really good make up brushes from Sephora that come in a box....I never leave my brushes out in my bathroom...they collect dust and dirt that way and I have enough issues....I make sure all brushes are clean and protected. Hope that helps! Now that my skin has been clear I must say, it shaves about 20 minutes off my morning routine!

You may be right Liz. I ate Thai food that I noticed was very sweet and vinegary in taste. It was so sweet that I asked the waitress if there was sugar in it (Phad Thai) and she said lots of brown sugar! Sugar is a huge no-no for me because I'm fructose intolerant. Oops! This may have been the aggrevating factor. That said...I think it still wise to go back on the Spiro + Oracea for awhile (because of how much I flared up), do the 7 month microdermabrasions and also follow my diet. I think that combination may set me up for another go at cutting back on oral meds next Fall. Will give more time for the tretinoin cream + diet to do it's stuff. I am sold on the diet + suppliments because I do think they're making a huge difference! Guess like so much in life it just takes time for change...

Hi ladies rolleyes.gif

Welcome shadylee, and congratulation on your upcoming nuptials! Very exciting!! Though, believe me, I understand the stress over cysts. I got married in 2000, at the age of 38, and I remember being so upset because my skin had been flaring up badly. I took minocycline a month prior and it sort of cleared it up, enough for me to wear makeup and just enjoy the day. I'm hoping that you can put the spots aside, in your head, and enjoy your special day. And remember, nowadays, with photoshop, they can just wipe those pesky bumps right out of the photographs! rolleyes.gif And clearly, your fiance ( like my dearest husband) doesn't give two hoots about my bumps. I mean, he always feels badly when I get them, because I get so upset, but he doesn't care that they are there, just cares that they bother me so much. In fact, he's by biggest cheerleader when I get them. He always goes " You feed them with your emotional energy!! Just relax, they are temporary, they will go away!!" wub.png I love that guy!

CVD I am sorry to hear about your flare up!! Believe it or not, I"m having another one too!! I'm getting another big bump almost exactly where I had a big cyst on my chin a few weeks back. I am SO BUMMED....so incredibly bummed...But I have only been on my clear skin diet about 3 weeks, so I guess I can't expect miracles....*sigh* I did eat some sweet chinese food earlier in the week, and a cheesy thing yesterday, so I'm thinking that flared it up- these are two things the clear skin diet says to avoid, and of course I didnt eusa_eh.gif So...it's monday, I"m going to try my hardest to avoid sugary and cheesy stuff!! I hate that I'm having this flareup because I'm leaving town for a week this coming weekend, for a work conference, and with a cyst, traveling will be anxiety provoking......Especially since I'm traveling alone, without my hubbie.....Guess I"ll need to try my darndest to relax this week, try to keep things in perspective.

I do think I may talk to the derm about sprironolactone when I go for a check-up next month. I took it some years ago, for a few months, but should try again...

thanks, ladies, for all the support!!

hi ladies biggrin.png..im very excited abt my wedding...we are doing the vegas thing a week from thursday..getting married by Elvis, with a few friends there..I am so lucky to have my fiance soon to be hubby smile.png..just like ur hubby sweettea, hee is always so supportive and doesnt care abt my skin...he just cares about how it effects me..gosh what i put him thru,lol..he has called the derm for me to beg for appt that day when im at my downest..he is so great...i try to remind myself how lucky i am and that it is just bumps on my skin, but yeesh it truly jus knocks me down when i get a gigantic cyst...right now my face is actually clearing up nicely except for a cyst on my lower cheek which looks like its there to stay for awhile sad.png(..part of me is debating to go get cortisone shot, but last one i got did leave indentation sad.png also i have scheduled appt next tuesday right b4 the wedding so i think i shld wait, that way she can deal with any other problems i might have..lol..ughhhh the energy and time spent on my stupid skin, lol...well im so happy i found this post bc its so great to vent to people who understand, dont feel so alone! ty ladies! and ty for the makeup suggestions..gonna make a Target trip sometime during the week!

Edited by shadylee

shadylee, I totally relate!! I just spent 10 minutes crying upstairs about this cyst coming up on my chin. My poor husband, he just kind of looks at me like " what can I do??" He just keeps saying " Don't give it so much power over you!! Don't let it control your life! It's a bump, it will go away...just relax" I, too, have put him through so much over the years because of my skin. He, having had clear skin his whole life, just doesn't get it.....But he does have sympathy for the fact that it bothers me so much...I really love that man wub.png

Again, congratulations about your wedding. And Vegas!! So exciting!!! Sounds like it will be a blast......Let us know how it's going for you, I'm happy to provide moral support in these weeks leading up to the big day. I remember well stressing about my skin in the weeks leading up to my wedding, but I didn't have anyone to really talk to about it, as I felt so embarrassed that I was being so "petty", when I was getting ready to marry the love of my life.....I try to go with my husbands philosophy about this : It's temporary, it's treatable, it's not life threatening, and life does go on......I just have to keep repeating that. I also try to really appreciate and enjoy my skin when it's looking good. Cause I know another bump will be along at some point, so I try to enjoy the good moments rolleyes.gif

sweettea..ur hubby sounds EXACTLY like my soon to be one..lol..he says the same things! and i know what u mean abt enjoying the good moments, bc i really do! when my skin is clear, i want to do everything! ill go through weeks of feeling great, and bam..its taken away by stupid bump on my face..ughhh...then i become anxiety ridden and dont feel like doing a thing..which is another thing great about my guy..is that he will try to get me out when i totally want to hide...it doesnt work every time but if ive been hiding out all weekend, he'll try to get me out to dinner on a sunday nite..something i might be comfy with..dark restaurant lol..i understand what ur sayiing abt travelling alone..its so much easier for me to do things if my guy is with me and my skin is acting up, he gives me confidence...i just hate the anxiety i get and i hate that sometimes nothing will work to get me out of the "funk" as i call it ...and as u can see..i am going to use u for moral support..tysm!!

I hate the anxiety, too....and mine really has been almost debilitating at times, with regards to acne. It's hard to explain it to folks who get the run-of-the-mill pimple. But for those who don't get the painful cysts, it's hard for them to understand how emotionally upsetting it is. How overwhelmingly upsetting it can be....especially at my age, when society tells us we should be worried about lines and wrinkles, and I'm still fighting acne and oily skin!!!

With that said, I also understand that I can get very dysmorphic about my acne- like, a bump BECOMES me, you know? Instead of me being an attractive woman with zit, I become a zit with a woman attached to it !! It skews my perception to the point where I've actually been afraid to look at myself in the mirror! Where I've been convinced that people are looking at my cyst and thinking " oh gross! that woman is disgusting!" It can get SO far out there in my head with the anxiety sometimes, i become almost frozen!!! I have worked on that over the years, trying to force myself to at least go out and take a walk, or go to the gym or something. And, I have a job where I am in the public view all day, I can't hide in an office or anything like that. I am "seen" all day long. So, when the cysts come, I get so distracted at my job! UG!!

I have done something called guided imagery, and that does seem to help with the anxiety, when I get it really bad. I also try to give myself a "reality check" when I'm at my worst. For instance, recently, I have a friend who got diagnosed with breast cancer, and is going through chemo, and really feeling yucky right now. All her hair is gone, she's lost weight, and feels badly. I keep telling myself that she'd be thankful if a lousy cyst were her only concern. At least this cyst will go away without having to poison my system with chemotherapy drugs!! So, trying to keep things in perspective really does help. Like with this current cyst on my chin, I keep saying " A week from today, it will be much better..just give it a week or so....things will feel better..." It does help. And, while work is hard when I have these things, honestly nobody cares. Yeah, people can see it, and might even look at it briefly, but then it's business as usual. I doubt anyone leaves after seeing me and goes " my god, that womans cyst!!" And if they did, well, I can't help it anyway, so what can I do, but keep on keepin' on?? rolleyes.gif I am a woman with a cyst, not a cyst with woman attached!!

Anyway, hope some of those suggestions help. Trying to have an "attitude of gratitude" is a helpful tool, for sure rolleyes.gif

sweettea u mite be my acne soulmate lol..its just everything you said is exactly what i go through and what i think..i really try to have attitude of gratitude...i truly think of how life can be so much worse...how this is not life threatening..and just like u said there are people who would take our cysts anyday over what they have....sometimes it works..but unfortunately sometimes it doesnt..and my anxiety gets so crazy at times, and i go into hiding....my work involves being seen too...but i am very lucky bc its a small business and have been working with the same people for a long time..so i am able to push myself to work at my worst, but hate to face customers..i cant even look them in the eye...i think it is so true..we are truly our worst critic..all we see is the cyst..and nothing else...i go back to work tomorrow and i am so not feeling my best..but trying to keep positive attitude...trying to stay away from mirror today, its my worst enemy

Shaylee and NC --- you are wonderful women. comfort.gif Do you have any idea how normal you make me feel? I have suffered for so long and have gone through all of the things you talk about...expecially the anxiety and sadness that overwhelms me. FYI --- several research studies have shown that feelings are statistically much worse with adult acne sufferers than with other diseases, even life threatening ones like cancer...because acne is on the face where everyone can see it and is associated with something most people outgrow. So our feelings of anxiety and sadness are normal given the situation. This has helped me because everytime I go through a flare-up I go through a cycle of hoping it won't get worse, then dispair when it does, depression and anxiety over how awful I feel...like am I overreacting?...then acceptance...like "oh well" my feelings are okay. I think everyone breaks out a little but their cycle is short...they hope things won't get worse, it doesn't, and so the person goes on with life thinking they have overcome it. That's why I think we feel there is little empathy because we continue to suffer.

I love what you said NC --- "I am a woman with a cyst, not a cyst with woman attached" So true!!! Now if only I can remember that when I need it. I will be saying prayers eusa_pray.gif that your wedding is wonderful, Shaylee, and you are free of anxiety about your skin...and that your flare-up goes down quickly, NC. It is really comforting to know there are women here who really understand. And amazingly we have partners who love us regardless of how our skin looks or how upset we are!! I was an emotional wreck this weekend. My hubby held me while I cried and kept telling me how beautiful I was. His affection despite everything gave me the boost I needed to go out of the house last night...and not worry about my skin.

That we have loving partners says something about the beauty within us I think.

I hope we all feel better tomorrow! I too work in a very public job and often worry too much about how I look! But today I am going to get outside for a walk and try to think healing thoughts!

Edited by cvd

Wow you gals brought tears to my eyes..... Although i have found my cure last year i am still battling a few scars/marks which unbelievably are still depressing. Acne can really mess with your head and can consume your mind/thoughts to the point of over whelming anxiety. I remember last year i had about 8 cysts that hurt like a mother (lol) and were huge and i was at work and just wanted to run home and cry. I still get anxiety if i think i am getting a cyst (if i get a weird sensation on my face) and there is nothing there. It is still messing with my head..... I still go on this site all the time and read posts that make me cry because i know exactly what everyone is going through and pray that they find their cure. I hope someday we don't need a site like this and everyone is cured. My husband has multiple sclerosis and he was having a hard time understanding how it was controlling me because of what he had. I explained to him no one can look at him and know he has multiple sclerosis as of now (it is internal) but when people would look at my face and take that DOUBLE LOOK it does something to your mind and you go into overdrive and you want to run and hide. i got to the point that i stopped looking people in the eye so i wouldnt see them stare at my cysts. I just hope you all find your cure someday. Gia eusa_pray.gif

Edited by gia1

Hi ladies!! Ugh had breakdown last night..cried my eyes out..fell asleep and woke up with worst anxiety ...this stupid cyst is knocking me for a loop! went to work , im so lucky to work with people that understand, my anxiety calmed down some..im home now and even tho i have tons to do, im just not up to going out, i just feel hideous..my poor guy has been trying to comfort me, but im in that zone where theres nothing he can say..i feel so bad..when i feel like this i just like sitting in bed with my laptop..when i got home i washed my face and have promised myself i will not go look in the mirror till i do my nightly regimen..tired of staring in the mirror like the stupid cyst is going to magically disappear..this one is going to take a long time..and my older skin doesnt heal as fast as it used to :((...CVD tysm for the prayers :)...and ty ladies for the support! feels so great to vent !!

I love this post and can really relate to what ur all going through. I turned 31 Jan 13, and am still dealing with acne, large pores and blackheads...this has been a contstant nightmare since I was 14... I am off to Scotland March 2 for a month and scared shitless because I am going out of my comfort zone for a month... I know I need to do it. But I wish I could get rid of the acne, blackheads especially, i have squeezed and have holes all over my nose, with ugly blackheads to top off the large pores. It really gets depressing and this arvo, I just wanted to bawl like a freakin baby...

Hugs to u all...

Trent

Australia

Hi Shadylee --- I hope you're feeling better today. I totally understand your dispair! My skin doesn't repair as easily either...I still have 3 really red spots from the outbreak that started last week. I think the hardest part of dealing with these things at our age is that we know how they will progress and what we have to look forward to...swelling - redness - pain - infection - trying not to pick or freak out when we look in the mirror!!! - healing - flaking - more redness as it heals. A two week process at best. And then if we have a really bad flare-up we can multiply this fun experience by two or three or more cysts. This was my recent flare-up. Ughhh.

Hi Trent --- I think men have it easier and harder. Easier because they can look "rougher". My son breaks out but it doesn't look as bad on him because of his facial hair. But then men have it harder because they're not supposed to get emotional or upset by things. That would be hard. Because it is depressing and would make anyone feel like bawling! I hope your upcoming trip goes well and that your skin will give you a break!!!

hi all! well had melt down in the bathroom at work today, but pulled myself together..its just so depressing , knowing im gettin married in 8 days and i have this cyst to contend with..its just nasty and i obsess on how its going to look in a week..ughhh!! ur so right about the whole process cvd..2 weeks at best..even if this sucker goes down definitely will have a nice red mark with me on wedding day :(..im trying to relax now..lol...hiya trent!..i know exactly what u mean abt comfort zone..obviously home is the best, and work for me is ok bc as i said i work with great people...after that just about everywhere scares me when i have a flare up..i have shopping to do and really need to go to the dry cleaners...i told myself i wld at least go to drycleaners today..how hard cld it be? but no..just cant do it..so dumb!! i swear there are times i just want to rip the skin off my face..its so exhausting!

It is exhausting! I have a new bump forming...my skin seems to be going whacky right now. I'm doing everything right and this still happens. Never before have I so faithfully followed the right diet, used all my meds correctly, etc but I still get these things - whatever they are. I get so embarrassed and can totally understand what you are feeling Shadylee. I will be keeping you in my thoughts...that you look lovely on your wedding day!

tyty cvd!..well just got back from derm office..i got a cortisone shot..was too scared this sucker wldnt go down soon enuff..not sure how im feeling, lol..its just bc my last cortisone shot didnt go so well...also when i get cortisone shots , the cyst gets like double the size right after i get it shot, so i get so nervous like its going to stay like that..and thats the stage im in right now..it is HUGE...then i get so nervous the shot wont work at all..i had that happen cpl of times..and thats the worse bc its such a let down...ughhhh...im so tired of worrying abt my skin!! i just want a breather so bad!! as u cvd, my skin is just completely wacky..i was doing so well! its so annoying..i do everything i can and so religious abt my regimen..i just dont get why all of a sudden it gets so bad!!