Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flutterby27

Are People With Mild Acne More Likely To Be Cured Using Accutane?

Hello all,

So... I'm 22 and have mild (and on a really bad week, occasionally moderate) hormonal acne on my lower cheeks and chin. I just saw my new derm for the first time and she said I'm a great candidate for accutane because my acne is persistent and I haven't responded to BP, topical retinoids, or antibiotics. The only thing that has ever worked to clear my skin has been taking birth control, but A) I KNOW I don't want to be on BC for my entire adult life and B) My clarity while taking it is inconsistent and it doesn't do much for my skin tone either (like, even when it's clear, it's still oily, there are still blackheads and lots of noninflammatory patches).

Here is my question. I know that for some people, one course of accutane can literally cure them of the problem forever, and for everyone else, the length of time it keeps them clear varies. I'm wondering... Does how long accutane keeps your clear correspond with how bad your acne was to begin with?

Like, if my acne isn't that bad right now, am I MORE likely to stay clear after I finish accutane? Or is there really nothing statistically that determines who stays clear and who doesn't?

I realize this is a super technical question, I'm just curious about my chances. I'm preparing to trade my bearable but really annoying, never leaving mild acne for a pretty severe breakout initially, and I'm hoping there's SOME silver lining in going on accutane for mild acne.

Thanks for reading! Any feedback would be appreciated!

there's no cure for acne. i had moderate acne and accutane didn't even clear me up. everyone is different. you might not get acne after, if you're lucky you won't. but considering you're 22 and you have mild acne chances are greater you won't go into remission.

So you're saying that because it's milder starting off, there's a greater chance it won't come back?

I know there is no actual cure across the board, but I also know that for some people, it does completely eliminate their acne for the rest of their lives.

well i think it depends on how peristant it is...

if you have had mild acne for years and it keeps persisting VS. someone who never really got acne but suddenly got a bad breakout of cystic acne and went on accutane then id assume the person who had one breakout would'nt go into remission as easily.

I first got acne when I was 18... it came on pretty strong out of no where and it took 2 years for me to get it under control thru supplements. I would only get a couple pimples a week, but my skin tone was destroyed from my previous bad breakouts and I had healing marks all over that wouldn't get to fully heal because new pimples would form in the same areas.

So 5 months ago I started 20mg of accutane daily. It's considered a low dose since I'm about 160 pounds. I can't tell you if it's completely healed me because I won't be done taking it for atleast 3 more months. At about the 3rd month was when my skin started showing it's most improvement. I average maybe 2 pimples a month now, and my skin tone has greatly improved (Also thanks to taking Hydraplenish to combat the Accutane dryness).

It's very tough to guess how accutane will work for you, so really the only was is to give it a try. My derm says it will take a longer course of my low-dose to try and cure my acne completely. But, since I don't suffer side effects I am completely content with staying on this dosage as long as I need to. I haven't been this happy with my skin since before I ever started getting acne.