Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, I've been on this forum for years but never posted anything so I've got a lot of questions. Sorry. blush.png I'm 22, female and have been struggling with mild acne since my early teens. I've been on a paleo diet since March and as long as I don't cheat, I don't break out. However, I've still got non-inflamed acne (small bumps and lots of blackheads) that just won't go away, especially on my nose. I use a special tool to extract them but they just fill up again. I've read a lot about people clearing their acne with diet, but most posts seem to be about inflamed acne. To those of you who consider yourself clear, are you 100 % clear of blackheads as well?

Anyway, there's gotta be something wrong with my diet and/or lifestyle. Like I said, I'm on a paleo diet. No grains, no dairy (except for butter maybe once a week), no alcohol, no nuts, no legumes ... I supplement with 50 mg of zinc (gluconate, since I couldn't find picolinate here in Sweden), half a tsp of fermented cod liver oil, probiotics and 500 mg of vitamin C. I sometimes do intermittent fasting (about 18 hours). On a typical day, my brunch (I don't really eat breakfast) consists of four soft-boiled eggs and some steamed vegetables with ghee. Sometimes I add some canned mackerel. Maybe an apple or pear and a cup of coffee for "dessert". Dinner is usually chicken, fish or meat with lots of vegetables (I often make a salad with onions, broccoli, spinach, cabbage or something like that) and sometimes a sweet potato or some beets. I try to include more offal in my diet. I cook with coconut oil or ghee, sometimes I make a vinaigrette using olive oil and ACV. In the evening I usually have a bowl of mixed berries and a cup of rooibos tea.

So what's wrong with my diet? Could it be the coffee? The fruit? Maybe the meat and chicken? Unfortunately, grassfed meat is not available where I live. Is grainfed meat really that bad? I guess I could cut out all of the above, but then there'd be nothing left to eat. Please, any advice? I'm getting desperate.

stop thinking about it, your diet is great, just cut off coffe for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Also you could try glycolic or mandelic acid for those blackheads

Okay, I've been on this forum for years but never posted anything so I've got a lot of questions. Sorry. blush.png I'm 22, female and have been struggling with mild acne since my early teens. I've been on a paleo diet since March and as long as I don't cheat, I don't break out. However, I've still got non-inflamed acne (small bumps and lots of blackheads) that just won't go away, especially on my nose. I use a special tool to extract them but they just fill up again. I've read a lot about people clearing their acne with diet, but most posts seem to be about inflamed acne. To those of you who consider yourself clear, are you 100 % clear of blackheads as well?

Anyway, there's gotta be something wrong with my diet and/or lifestyle. Like I said, I'm on a paleo diet. No grains, no dairy (except for butter maybe once a week), no alcohol, no nuts, no legumes ... I supplement with 50 mg of zinc (gluconate, since I couldn't find picolinate here in Sweden), half a tsp of fermented cod liver oil, probiotics and 500 mg of vitamin C. I sometimes do intermittent fasting (about 18 hours). On a typical day, my brunch (I don't really eat breakfast) consists of four soft-boiled eggs and some steamed vegetables with ghee. Sometimes I add some canned mackerel. Maybe an apple or pear and a cup of coffee for "dessert". Dinner is usually chicken, fish or meat with lots of vegetables (I often make a salad with onions, broccoli, spinach, cabbage or something like that) and sometimes a sweet potato or some beets. I try to include more offal in my diet. I cook with coconut oil or ghee, sometimes I make a vinaigrette using olive oil and ACV. In the evening I usually have a bowl of mixed berries and a cup of rooibos tea.

So what's wrong with my diet? Could it be the coffee? The fruit? Maybe the meat and chicken? Unfortunately, grassfed meat is not available where I live. Is grainfed meat really that bad? I guess I could cut out all of the above, but then there'd be nothing left to eat. Please, any advice? I'm getting desperate.

i have a similar problem. I dont eat grains and apart from natural yogurt i dont have dairy. My mild-moderate acne usually starts off with bumps/ whiteheads and blackheads that later become inflammed through either my trying to get rid of them or by them getting infected on their own. Diet has never been able to solve this for me.

stop thinking about it, your diet is great, just cut off coffe for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Also you could try glycolic or mandelic acid for those blackheads

Yeah, maybe I'll have to ditch the coffee. I just love it so much! I've tried glycolic acid but it makes my skin red and itchy. But I guess I could try some mandelic acid, if nothing else helps. Thanks.

i think diet only helps inflamed acne

Agreed, 100%. Your skin is going to continuously grow and die as long as you live, in the process leaving some behind for your pores to get clogged with. For some reason, the nose seems to be a problem area for a lot of people in terms of black heads. I experience the same thing and the only thing I've found that is effective is mild exfoliation now and again, every 2-4 days, as often or as little as you think is most beneficial. I use those little salicylic acid scrubber pads which you can find most anywhere on my nose, which is entirely made up of blackheads. However, I would never dream of using the pads on the rest of my face, where my inflamed acne is. Hope that helps!

Oh, and your diet is marvelous, I wouldn't stress anymore in terms of food. Good luck!

Edited by Alex Urig

i have a similar problem. I dont eat grains and apart from natural yogurt i dont have dairy. My mild-moderate acne usually starts off with bumps/ whiteheads and blackheads that later become inflammed through either my trying to get rid of them or by them getting infected on their own. Diet has never been able to solve this for me.

Sorry to hear that diet hasn't helped. Yeah, I get inflamed acne too when I pick at them. I try to avoid it, but sometimes I just can't help it.

Just had to start by saying nuts (except for peanuts) are Paleo, so unless you're avoiding them for another reason, they're allowed. I don't know if you're breaking out from the foods you're eating, your story sounds like mine except I'm not clear yet. I'm still getting painful comedonal acne, although my skin in general looks a lot better. According to the theory that food allergies cause acne, you might be eating something you're "allergic" to, such as sweet potatos or eggs. I wouldn't cut them out though, you need those staples on the Paleo diet.

As far as the blackheads and small bumps, what do you do topically to your skin? Maybe you're skin just needs to be exfoliated every now and then in order to allow for those minute blockages to unclog themselves. It could also be just from all the stress you're putting on yourself, worrying about the blackheads and such. I definitely don't think it's the coffee!

I would try either reducing or totally giving up the fruit for a while. A lot of palo people disprove of it anyway, especially in the non-seasonal months (like winter, which it is right now). Too much sugar (whether natural fructose or table sugar) seems to give me those really tiny white heads and clogged pores on my nose. A little fruit is fine for me though.

Agreed, 100%. Your skin is going to continuously grow and die as long as you live, in the process leaving some behind for your pores to get clogged with. For some reason, the nose seems to be a problem area for a lot of people in terms of black heads. I experience the same thing and the only thing I've found that is effective is mild exfoliation now and again, every 2-4 days, as often or as little as you think is most beneficial. I use those little salicylic acid scrubber pads which you can find most anywhere on my nose, which is entirely made up of blackheads. However, I would never dream of using the pads on the rest of my face, where my inflamed acne is. Hope that helps!

Oh, and your diet is marvelous, I wouldn't stress anymore in terms of food. Good luck!

I'm worried you're right. I don't like the thought of having to rely on topicals. I just feel like there's something wrong with my skin, shouldn't it be able to slough off those dead cells on its own? Oh well, maybe I'll give the exfoliation a shot. I'll see if I can find those pads. Thanks!

I'm worried you're right. I don't like the thought of having to rely on topicals. I just feel like there's something wrong with my skin, shouldn't it be able to slough off those dead cells on its own? Oh well, maybe I'll give the exfoliation a shot. I'll see if I can find those pads. Thanks!

topicals can do a lot of damage to your skin overtime of use, it's best to use the least amount of topicals as you can. It can make your skin texture rough feeling and cause non-inflamed acne (the worst kind).

Just had to start by saying nuts (except for peanuts) are Paleo, so unless you're avoiding them for another reason, they're allowed. I don't know if you're breaking out from the foods you're eating, your story sounds like mine except I'm not clear yet. I'm still getting painful comedonal acne, although my skin in general looks a lot better. According to the theory that food allergies cause acne, you might be eating something you're "allergic" to, such as sweet potatos or eggs. I wouldn't cut them out though, you need those staples on the Paleo diet.

As far as the blackheads and small bumps, what do you do topically to your skin? Maybe you're skin just needs to be exfoliated every now and then in order to allow for those minute blockages to unclog themselves. It could also be just from all the stress you're putting on yourself, worrying about the blackheads and such. I definitely don't think it's the coffee!

Oh, I forgot to mention that the reason I'm avoiding nuts is because (I think) they make my blackheads worse.

I know that I'm sensitive to oranges because they make me break out. Maybe there's still something in my diet that I'm sensitive to, but shouldn't I be breaking out then and not getting blackheads? Argh, I don't know, this is all so complicated. I agree cutting out eggs and sweet potatoes isn't a good idea. Actually, I'd rather have blackheads than having to cut out the eggs since they're an important part of my diet.

I wash my face with water only and stay away from topicals. I have a really hard time finding products that suit my skin, so I just don't bother. I've tried so many different exfoliators - plain sugar, glycolic peels, fruit enzymes, regular OTC scrubs ... Most of them break me out or make my skin red and sensitive. I do think my skin would benefit from exfoliation though, if I could find something non-irritating.

I do stress alot, not just about my acne, so that could definitely be a factor. Thanks for your reply!

Oh, I forgot to mention that the reason I'm avoiding nuts is because (I think) they make my blackheads worse.

I know that I'm sensitive to oranges because they make me break out. Maybe there's still something in my diet that I'm sensitive to, but shouldn't I be breaking out then and not getting blackheads? Argh, I don't know, this is all so complicated. I agree cutting out eggs and sweet potatoes isn't a good idea. Actually, I'd rather have blackheads than having to cut out the eggs since they're an important part of my diet.

I wash my face with water only and stay away from topicals. I have a really hard time finding products that suit my skin, so I just don't bother. I've tried so many different exfoliators - plain sugar, glycolic peels, fruit enzymes, regular OTC scrubs ... Most of them break me out or make my skin red and sensitive. I do think my skin would benefit from exfoliation though, if I could find something non-irritating.

I do stress alot, not just about my acne, so that could definitely be a factor. Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I'm not sure at all what foods break me out. I didn't even start getting acne until I was 17 and it kind of popped up out of the blue. I have always eaten the same thing but after trying every cream and face wash out there, I decided just to revamp my diet.

I still have blackheads, nothing EVER gets rid of them. I don't even care if I have blackheads though. To me, that's nothing compared to painful cystic acne and awful skin texture, hyperpigmentation and whiteheads which I STILL get. FUUUUUUU!

I agree with you, I find it so difficult to get a match for my skin when it comes to products. I use a mild glycolic cream cleanser once a day, sometimes every other night. Anything else makes my skin extremely irritated and dry.

I'm just sick of all of this, the stress of constantly worrying about food, washing my face, not touching my face, etc...it's so much to bare.

Would you mind posting a photo of what your acne looks like now that you've been on the paleo diet for such a long time? I can't tell if I'm clear, near clearing or if my acne has been staying the same the whole time I've been on my paleo diet. I know that might seem silly, not to know, but some of my marks turn into acne and it's just confusing!

I would try either reducing or totally giving up the fruit for a while. A lot of palo people disprove of it anyway, especially in the non-seasonal months (like winter, which it is right now). Too much sugar (whether natural fructose or table sugar) seems to give me those really tiny white heads and clogged pores on my nose. A little fruit is fine for me though.

Thanks for your advice. I haven't had any apples or pears for the last few days, however I've been eating a ton of pomegranates since they're really cheap this time of year. Do you think they could cause problems? They're not that sweet and I eat the seeds so I get alot of fibre.

topicals can do a lot of damage to your skin overtime of use, it's best to use the least amount of topicals as you can. It can make your skin texture rough feeling and cause non-inflamed acne (the worst kind).

Yeah, I've done a lot of damage to my skin over the years, using harsh cleansers and stuff. But I'll admit I'm tempted to give exfoliation a shot again. What do you think about mandelic acid? I've read alot of positive reviews.

Thanks for your advice. I haven't had any apples or pears for the last few days, however I've been eating a ton of pomegranates since they're really cheap this time of year. Do you think they could cause problems? They're not that sweet and I eat the seeds so I get alot of fibre.

Yeah, I've done a lot of damage to my skin over the years, using harsh cleansers and stuff. But I'll admit I'm tempted to give exfoliation a shot again. What do you think about mandelic acid? I've read alot of positive reviews.

ive never heard of it, is it a peel? I'm scared to use peels for fear of it causing a permanent inability to tan...I love self tanners. My red marks are temporary though so I wouldn't go to the extreme to try n get rid of them if they go away by themselves.

I'm not sure about the pomegranates; everyone is different. If you're still having problems, try cutting them out and see.

Yeah, I'm not sure at all what foods break me out. I didn't even start getting acne until I was 17 and it kind of popped up out of the blue. I have always eaten the same thing but after trying every cream and face wash out there, I decided just to revamp my diet.

I still have blackheads, nothing EVER gets rid of them. I don't even care if I have blackheads though. To me, that's nothing compared to painful cystic acne and awful skin texture, hyperpigmentation and whiteheads which I STILL get. FUUUUUUU!

I agree with you, I find it so difficult to get a match for my skin when it comes to products. I use a mild glycolic cream cleanser once a day, sometimes every other night. Anything else makes my skin extremely irritated and dry.

I'm just sick of all of this, the stress of constantly worrying about food, washing my face, not touching my face, etc...it's so much to bare.

Would you mind posting a photo of what your acne looks like now that you've been on the paleo diet for such a long time? I can't tell if I'm clear, near clearing or if my acne has been staying the same the whole time I've been on my paleo diet. I know that might seem silly, not to know, but some of my marks turn into acne and it's just confusing!

I'm sorry to hear about your skin. I feel kind of bad for complaining about my blackheads, when there are lots of people who struggle with much more severe acne.

Yeah, it's all really frustrating. I can't eat anything without asking myself how it's going to effect my skin. I worry about eating too much, not eating enough, eating late in the evening ...

Unfortunately I've misplaced the charger to my camera, but if I find it I might consider posting pictures. I'm really self-conscious though.

ive never heard of it, is it a peel? I'm scared to use peels for fear of it causing a permanent inability to tan...I love self tanners. My red marks are temporary though so I wouldn't go to the extreme to try n get rid of them if they go away by themselves.

Yes, it's a peel. From what I've heard it's supposed to be a pretty mild one.

Nucelle's mandelic starter kit is the only topical I can say I've ever fallen in love with.

I've read a lot about Nucelle. I'm tempted to try it but shipping to Sweden is probably going to be rather expensive. What does the starter kit contain? Cleanser, toner? Did you notice an initial breakout?

I've read a lot about Nucelle. I'm tempted to try it but shipping to Sweden is probably going to be rather expensive. What does the starter kit contain? Cleanser, toner? Did you notice an initial breakout?

I got it from me mum and it included a cleanser, toner, serum, moisturizer, and sunscreen in tiny bottles. Out of all of them I'd stick with the cleanser and moisturizer. There wasn't anything wrong with the others but toning, serumming, and suncreening seem superfluous if the products aren't laying around for me to use at someone else's expense.

And I'd never recommend something that would give me an "initial breakout" because that's a silly concept to me. It's like telling someone who's allergic to nuts to have some trail mix because it's good for them. If my skin doesn't feel awesome after using it then what's the point?