Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys.. I suffer from severe acne all over my face.

I have also been suffering from social anxiety (not because i'm nervous about people thinking about my skin) i've had it since I was young and I am now suffering from BAD obessive compulsive disorder (in the form of intrusive thoughts.. called "pure-o").. I think of the thoughts 100% of the day and it has ruined my life even more than acne has. I am wondering if there is a physiological link between my acne and anxiety disorders..

Does anyone else suffer from anxiety disorders like OCD?

My social anxieties stem from bad experiences when people said things about my acne, and it does play on my mind whenever I'm out that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that someone might say something. On that basis, it seems easier to avoid people. That's where the problem started for me because it was very easy to fall into that trap. What started out as a comfort zone has become something of a prison as I am now kind of fearful of being around people, especially if they're new to me. I've always been self conscious and lacked confidence, ever since I started being more aware of social situations, but then I've always had acne for that whole time so I guess the two have gone hand in hand for me.

Certainly hope that you can find a way to curb the OCD and get things on track in that regard, I imagine that's a pretty big thing to have to deal with and quite a struggle to get through. Best of luck with that! :)

I think the trick may be to focus on a talent. I've stopped caring what anyone thinks about how I look and am much more comfortable in public because I know there are certain things I do exceptionally well that many others are completely inept at. Everyone has "their thing", find yours. Anything thing that is strictly negative and unproductive is a waste of time. Life is too short.

selective mutism-a form of sever social anxiety where i become mute in certain social situations. And OCD about protecting my skin.

Edited by Ugly skin disease

Life is too short.

It's actually going too slow for me. Why do I want to stick around for 80 years if I have acne scars and a socially awkward personality.

Life is too short.

It's actually going too slow for me. Why do I want to stick around for 80 years if I have acne scars and a socially awkward personality.

Acne scars are NOT a disability. They aren't stopping you from having a fulfilling, adventurous, joyful life. YOU are stopping you. If acne scars are truly the worst part of your life, consider yourself blessed.

I have also been suffering from social anxiety (not because i'm nervous about people thinking about my skin) i've had it since I was young and I am now suffering from BAD obessive compulsive disorder (in the form of intrusive thoughts.. called "pure-o").. I think of the thoughts 100% of the day and it has ruined my life even more than acne has. I am wondering if there is a physiological link between my acne and anxiety disorders..

I have high anxiety, and it causes me to pick my face A LOT. Does this happen to you? (Maybe that's why it's so severe because of unconscious picking?)

Where did I say acne scars are a disability

Oh geez louise. I never said you said scars are a disability. My point is that a statement like "Why do I want to stick around for 80 years if I have acne scars and a socially awkward personality" is a touch melodramatic. If you were in a real life or death situation would you really think "ah, screw it! I have acne scars, what's the point!"? I don't want to belittle your feelings. It just sounds like you can't appreciate life because of something that is really of no consequence. And as for a "socially awkward personality"? That is a term that could easily be used to describe some of the greatest minds the world has ever known.

Acne and acne scars could cause someone a mental disability such as depression or anxiety and a mental disability can be just as difficult as a physical disability.

Edited by CollectedSoul

Life is too short.

Acne scars are NOT a disability. They aren't stopping you from having a fulfilling, adventurous, joyful life. YOU are stopping you. If acne scars are truly the worst part of your life, consider yourself blessed.

Do you have acne scars? Do you know the psycological tourment it causes unwillingly? We don't want to be depressed, we just are victims of depression caused by acne/acne scarring. I have been raped, child abused, and suffered a lot in my life and childhood but nothing can come close to the pain and suffering I have endured from acne/acne scars.

Where did I say acne scars are a disability

Oh geez louise. I never said you said scars are a disability. My point is that a statement like "Why do I want to stick around for 80 years if I have acne scars and a socially awkward personality" is a touch melodramatic. If you were in a real life or death situation would you really think "ah, screw it! I have acne scars, what's the point!"? I don't want to belittle your feelings. It just sounds like you can't appreciate life because of something that is really of no consequence. And as for a "socially awkward personality"? That is a term that could easily be used to describe some of the greatest minds the world has ever known.

It's actually not. Who are you to decide? My scars are mild/moderate and they do bother me. I am forced to deal with it because I have to go to school, but acne and my scars have destroyed my confidence and ability to socialize with other people. I can't maintain eye contact with the person I'm talking to. I was born shy, but my acne struggles in the past have exacerbated the problem. I've spoken to one of my parents about my feelings and it didn't help. I have talked to one close friend and they didn't know how to respond. I felt like an idiot for sharing. I don't know who you are or what your acne/scars are like, but you should know how debilitating acne can be. The reason I posted that in this section was because other people can relate. I can't exactly share these feelings with those close to me because like I mentioned above, it doesn't work.

Life is too short.

Do you have acne scars? Do you know the psycological tourment it causes unwillingly? We don't want to be depressed, we just are victims of depression caused by acne/acne scarring. I have been raped, child abused, and suffered a lot in my life and childhood but nothing can come close to the pain and suffering I have endured from acne/acne scars.

I read your first post in this thread, before you edited it. I really do feel for you, OCD is serious condition and can be dangerous when left untreated. Get help. Don't be a victim, be a survivor.

Hi OP, I started having acne only September of this year and was shocked at what a huge impact it had on my personality and outlook. Although part of this change can be attributed to the shock of developing acne so randomly/abruptly (I have a rare condition called rosacea fulminans/pyoderma faciale) and then taking Accutane (the side effects were just really awful for me) for it, I definitely became significantly more socially anxious because of my acne and experienced the same stuff a lot of the other posters have already touched on, like not wanting to go out in public (ever) and not being able to look even my closest friends in the eye anymore.

I'm off the Accutane now and my personality is slowly going back to normal. But it was awful in the beginning because I felt like I was losing myself entirely to that newfound social anxiety - I'd always been a very social/extroverted/outgoing person pre-acne and suddenly I just wasn't myself anymore. I used to think that really shy/withdrawn people were generally a little "silly" for being so socially anxious - I'd look at them and secretly think "god, there's nothing actually wrong with you, just stop being such a pussy already and have some fun!" Now I've come to find socially anxious people incredibly brave because I know how hard it is to feel like you want to just hide under the covers all day long but still have to get on public transit and go to work and generally be surrounded by people anyway.

Edited by hotburrito

Hello,

Before acne destroyed everything I had left in my life, I had GAD and mild OCD. Acne has made my life a living hell, especially since it got so severe to the point where (I can't say) and now moderate scarring on my face. All I can say is that I'll probably be dealing with this my whole life and i don't think it'll get better any time soon.

i think acne scars and acne should be a form of disablitiy / mentally and pyshcially it can destory lives.

Life is too short.

This, i find myself asking everyday my friend, looking at people with perfect skin, and me trying to eat healthy and still getting bad skin, my enjoyment of life is 0%, the only time i find myself a little bit happy now is on a friday, when i have finished work and have a weekend off, i also like to get myself a pizza on a friday and lie in bed, alone as always :(, i only like it because im in the bed myself and its dark, and i know i don't have to go out the next day or 2, what even is life anymore, im tired of people with no problems quoting this karma bullshit.

ahh I feel for you. I've suffered from social anxiety for a long time as well, and some OCD when I was a kid. Ive also have history of depression. Add all this up with acne and its one hell of a mix.

ahh I feel for you. I've suffered from social anxiety for a long time as well, and some OCD when I was a kid. Ive also have history of depression. Add all this up with acne and its one hell of a mix.

please can you tell us how you delt with it any steps you took to lessen it ?

Hey man...

I wish I could give some really good advice on this topic but I don't have much. I guess you just have to grow some balls and go for it. I honestly don't know how I survived half the things i've been through, but in the end I am still alive. I wish I could say that everything happens for a reason, but I think this is bullshit. We've been dealt some difficult cards, we just gotta do our best to play the hands we can.

With that being said.. as for depression, I still have my lows. I think the only thing that gets me through the lows is really try your best to ride the highs. Sounds cheesy but if you ever find yourself having a good moment, whether its listening to music, laying in bed, watching TV, whatever... really try to enjoy it. I've also known for a long time that working out helps with depression, i nfact working out has helped me through lots of things but lately I haven't been lifting so I should def incorporate that in. I really don't know how to deal with depression so if anyone on here has some tips on it please do post.

As for anxiety.. oh man.. this is another tough one. I am still battling this as well. I went from no contact, to forcing myself to get a job (right before the interview I had so much anxiety I was about to say f it and turn around but I said f it and went inside), to eating dinner with some friends. BUT, I still haven't seen my closest friends (the people I normally hang out with). So I am making baby steps. Soon I hope I am able to be like "look guys, acne fucken sucks.. ive tried a bunch of stuff and all of it really only made it worse.. if you want to know why i've been hibernating it's b/c my skin has got me down, on top of all the other bullshit in life"

I know I won't be clubbing anytime soon lol.. but this shouldn't keep my from seeing my closest friends. sigh, I need to get better at taking my own advice. But boy is t tough.

My best advice that I would give for anyone dealing with anxiety or depression, don't take prescription meds for it. And take baby steps. You could look into abdominal breathing and meditation techniques. Look up paul collier on you tube, I find most of his music really grea to listen to at night and take the edge off.

What have y'all tried to battle anxiety or depression? I am open to advice

Have had SEVERE acne, along with the severe depression and anxiety that can go with it.

My family always acted as if it didnt exist, but when id be at a party or in public I could see people looking at me with disgust or pity in their eyes. Cant imagine anything worse for a young person trying to find their place in the world.

Was also suicidal for many years...acne was so bad id cry every night, cursing god for cursing me. How I made it through is nothing less than a miracle.

My advice after suffering for more than 20 years:

Do not look at your face in the mirror...it will only make you feel worse.

Do not try to socialize outside of your closest friends....your friends accept you, others will unknowingly or carelessly look at you with horror and disgust.

Do not touch your face and pick at the acne...will make it even worse.

Try to stay optimistic, this is not a lifetime curse...or it need not be if you find what works for you.

Research and experiment with different remedies...often times the homemade cheap ones work much better than expensive Rx.

While you are going through this misery, look inside yourself and choose a hobby that calms you and gives you hope...learn the guitar or piano...after your acne clears, you will be a hit with the girls.

Hope this helps, if any of you who are suffering so badly you consider suicide, feel free to PM me...

My OCD is just being really clean. I guess I have always felt dirty from having acne. As far as anxiety.. yeah I have always had it since my acne got worse during highschool but I still had friends, they just didn't know the real me. Nobody knew about my skin problems or anything. I woulda fallen into a deeper depression but one of my friends who I know for about 5 years now has always been there for me and is still there for me today. We pretty much only have each other.. she is such a fun person to be around and we just understand each other and can be ourselves. She has had some problems as well through highschool so she's also a little emotionally unstable. But.. she has the clearest perfect skin! Lol I envy her.. but she doesn't think acne defines me. My acne is actually gettting a lot better, and I'm glad her attitude towards me has never changed, acne or not. She pushed me to go out with friends and trying to live a normal life.. I owe her so much, yeah I have had bad acne and some anxiety but I have been blessed with a great friend that helped me through so much. I swear if it wasn't for her I woulda been home alone all the time, with no friends. So.. screw you acne skin problems!