Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
somegirl0106

What To Do About My Acne?

Hey. I'm new here. I'm not sure if this is right section, but I was looking for advice on my acne. I'm 20 and I have it fairly bad around my mouth area. When I was in high school I would get around 2-4 zits a week. I was pretty underweight then though. Rarely ever got my period. The beginning of my sophomore year of college I gained some weight and it increased to 5-10 a week. Then this past year it like exploded all over my mouth, chin, jaw area and a tiny bit on my forehead. And it's not like it's clear sometimes and then it break outs. It's always full of zits and each one will take forever to go away and then by the time it does more are in its place.

So far I tried clean and clear, neutrogena, cetaphil, biore, apple cider vinegar, witch hazel, tea tree oil. None of it made the slightest difference. And I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide so I can't use that. I finally went to the dermatologist a few months ago and got prescribed atralin and aczone which I used for over two months and they did not make any difference. I went back and got prescribed doxycycline which I've been using a week now and still no difference. I am gonna give it more time.

But I'm just wondering what am I doing wrong and what is causing my acne. Neither of my parents or my sister ever got more than a few zits here and there. I still get really irregular and infrequent periods by the way even though I'm barely underweight anymore. (5'5 and 108). I get it only 4 or 5 times a year really. So I don't know if it's a hormone imbalance or what. Also I got sick last year (had mucus dripping down my throat) and had a bunch of blood tests done. One said I had highly elevated liver enzyme levels. I got that retested though and the second test came back normal. Although I have been having sharp pains under the right side of my rib cage on and off all year. So I'm not sure if I could have a liver problem causing it maybe? I also have some other health related issues such as insomnia, fatigue and discoloration all over my eyes which I'm not sure what is causing.

I attached some photos so you can see what it looks like. (please no rude comments about my appearance i am aware I'm not attractive) I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on my situation to get rid of my acne and all? I would really appreciate any feedback.

post-163677-0-77350100-1323587436_thumb.

post-163677-0-23272000-1323587507_thumb.

post-163677-0-42644600-1323587532_thumb.

post-163677-0-27929500-1323587641_thumb.

post-163677-0-77350100-1323587436_thumb.

post-163677-0-23272000-1323587507_thumb.

post-163677-0-42644600-1323587532_thumb.

post-163677-0-27929500-1323587641_thumb.

I have similiar acne like yours all over my cheeks and what I've done to help my acne is eat a healthy diet, no dairy, no wheat and I try to limit my meat intakes . My skin care regimen is a gentle face wash followed by SA pads (wipe all over face) then sunscreen spf45 followed by a moisturizer. It's almost going to be 2 months on this regimen and I've seen improvements a lot to be exact :)

Oh and I haven't worn make-up for 3 months. The only things I have trouble with is the hyperpigmentations. They seem to take like forever to fade especially because I'm light skinned.

What's your skin care regimen ??

And what foods do you eat on a daily basis?

Personally it sounds to be a liver issue.

Discoloration of the eyes, acne and an overall imbalance of hormones. I would really side down with your doctor and figure this one out. Just to be on the safe side of things. Don't want to overlook even the smallest detail of things.

It sucks that you are allergic to BP, but you can try other things, but you need to really stick with them. Might take a few weeks or even a few months before you notice an improvement. There are some good Salicylic Acid products on the market that you might want to look into. Murad is very good, my brother uses it. Clinique also has an acne line that you might want to look into. Just stay away from the Acne Moisturizer (i think it has BP, just use the normal lotion, but the acne wash/toner). If you want to try something a little less expensive then look into sulfur products. GNC sells a very nice face soap that I've heard good things about. Just keep an open mind and look into your options.

Hope this helps a little, Good Luck!

p.s...no matter what you think, you are very beautiful. Keep smiling and the world will always be a better place. =]

im no doctor, but the symptoms say to me that theres a high chance that its the internals.

try a detox, eat only apples for a week, take vitamens (vit c, B, A, etc..), probiotics, help your liver out as much as you can.

and how about next time you decide to upload pics you throw in a smile. surprised.gif

well from personal experience, switching up face washes and acne medicine has negatively affected me. I think it's really important to find a face wash that does not have acne causing ingredients and sticking to it for more than just 2 weeks. The product you use will not show improvement in just a month or two, some take up to 5 to 6 months to see improvements; you just have to be persistent. when you apply BP, what happens? what's your allergic reaction? have you tried birth control? i remember a couple of years ago, i met a girl that had a lot more acne than you, she said that birth control and sticking to a regemin really helped her control her breakouts/hormones. hope this helps

Diet would be the first thing I'd look at. What kind of things do you eat now?

As for hygiene type products, go for the most simple stuff you can find. I never wash my face with anything beyond water. That made a big difference.

Where you don't have acne your skin looks fine.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you everyone. I don't eat the best. I rarely eat dairy or fast food, but I do eat bread and stuff and also sweets. Also I don't know if it's could be causing my acne but I used to drink diet coke every morning to help me wake up. This past month I switched to drinking caffeine free diet coke every morning. Is that still bad? it has no sugar or caffeine. I haven't had a regular diet coke in like a month, so no caffeine all month. But my acne is still no better.

And I'm definitely allergic to benzoyl peroxide. I tried oxy face wash with benzoyl peroxide in it two years ago and my face got all red and scrunched up and broke out in hives. I wasn't sure if it was the BP or another ingredient in it, so I then tried a clean and clear facial wash with BP in it. I've never had a bad reaction to any clean and clear before products before but when I used the one with BP in it I got the same reaction I had from oxy, my face turned bright red and i got hives all over it. So I just stay away from BP now.

My dermatologist has me using cerave products now just the facial cleanser, morning and night and cerave AM moisturizer in the morning and cerave PM moisturizer at night. I've been using them for a week along with taking doxycycline, but still have not seen any improvement.

Coke has bad chemicals its ok here and there but not good every day i think a coffe would even be an improvment -

what about fresh vegetables ? do you eat them ? if you were underweight i would defintly try to eat good now im not saying only vegtables but adding vegtables for your health and it might help if you have a lack of some nutrient (even if a blood test dosnt show) ( tomatos,cucmber,onions,pepprs'garlic,carrots!, lettuce )

I'd agree with what most people are saying on here. Diet, liver and possibly hormonal imbalance could be your problem. I think when a test says a particular area is "out of range", then the next time it tests "normal" it may still be high, but just borderline "within range". Staying away from dairy and gluten (wheat, breads, etc) has really helped me. Soda isn't the best (not just for acne). Could it be that your diet changed when you went to college? Were you eating more veggies (even though you were underweight) when you lived at home and got fewer pimples a week? Sometimes it can take 9 months for your body to go through a tipping point and say "That's enough! I'm freaking out!!"

If you chose to start incorporating more veggies in your diet, I'd recommend staying away from nightshades (tomatoes, peppers) as they can be inflammatory. Carrots, cucumbers, kale, spinach, beets... all of these are good options that can be anti-inflammatory and contain anti-oxidants.

Edited by 4Fours