Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

History

African American Female

30 years old

suffered from acne from teen until 20 years old

Tried every product nothing worked until Accutane

took Accutane with birth control pills - I was previously on birth control before that.

so total time on birth control - 17yrs old -30 yrs old

Accutane worked - broke face out horribly then healed

no breakout from age 20-30

stopped taking birth control july 2011 to give body a rest

face started breaking out october 2011

went to derm - he just handed me Epiduo cream -Burned my face - stopped using it - - told him my history - he said well u may have to get back on accutane if it doesn't work - I said I will never get back on that. I also did not go back for my follow up appointment.

researched - found about evening primrose oil

bought those pills - started taking and using epiduo as just spot treatment

took about 30 days saw a little result but still getting breakouts.

Heard u have to take evening primrose with another fatty oil pill (or whatever it's called) came across Dr Hymans article and heard diet is based on acne as well - http://drhyman.com/d...ause-acne-4079/

I knew I couldn't stop eating cheese or milk. But Dr Hyman in his article gave recommendations regarding vitamins to take

Okay I bought the zinc - only could find 50mg - bought The Vitamin E - kept taking the evening primrose -

Vitamin A was not at walgreens at the time and I also researched be careful with vitamin A - so decided just to do the E, Zinc, and Primrose -

Kept using Epiduo as spot treatment

In two weeks my face healed fast - but I was noticing that places where I was putting the epiduo cream as the spot treatment, I continued to see little pimples come. So I said to myself.. that epiduo is causing breakouts - must be too strong for my face.

So stopped using the Epiduo as a spot treatment and continue to take the pills in the morning with breakfast and another evening primrose with dinner - and my skin is looking unbelievable

So this is working for me. When I was a teen, I tried everyyyyythinnnggg. I knew in my heart that Epiduo was not going to work. The drs just hand u a medicine.

I'll keep you posted if anything changes

I'd like to share my story of acne and tell you that I think I have finally found a cheap and natural way of controlling my hormones. I am a 32 year old woman and have suffered with acne since I was 19. Funnily enough I developed acne not long after cutting out red meat from my diet and sometimes I wonder if this is the reason. Anyway, like all of you, I hated my acne and it got me really down, so I took Dianette for about seven years and then Yasmin for 6. I had breaks in between but my acne always came back after a month or two, families of spots around my chin, lips and sometimes huge ones on my forehead.

About a month ago I came off the pill yet again, mainly because my husband and I want a baby. I thought we could use protection until my body got back to normal. I started taking folic acid (as this is strongly recommended for mums to be) and was terrfied of my acne coming back, so did lots of research on acne forums and found that fish oil (not cod liver oil) is supposed to help regulate oil production. So I bought this too, which made my skin so soft and made me feel great. However, after 2 weeks I woke up with a huge spot on my chin and notoced my skin was really oily and that lots of tiny little spots under my skin were ready to pop up in the usual places.

Frantically I researched more and more and bought some zinc and vitamin B5 (panthenoic acid) the next day. I didn't take mega doses of B5, only 500mg (which is already 8,333% RDA), even though others recommend a mega dose. This is because I only had a few zits so far. The next day my skin was far less oily and since I've been taking this, my acne hasn't come back at all! I have been taking panthenoic acid for tow weeks and my skin is clear. I still have a redd mark from that bog spot on my chin, but so what? I think for anyone who has acne and wants a more natural way of overcoming it should clear their skin first through either taking antibiotics or the pill and while their skin is clear take the following:

Vitamin B5

Fish oil (omega3)

Zinc

(I take Iron with vitamin C and folic acid too, but this is because I am preparing my body for pregnancy and am a pescatarian)

I wouldn't recommend taking more than 500mg of B5 though, maybe better do it how I did. I'm so happy, I've never liked taking the pill, it gives me cellulite, makes me down and physically slower. If you have acne, please take my advice. By the way, you might be thinking my skin is clear because I am pregnant, well I'm not because my period finished today (1 month after stopping the pill).

If you can clear your skin and then take the above, if it works for you too, there should be no need to take medicine ever again.

thanks for the feeback - I'll have to ck out the b5. Yes the pill made me down too. I'm like a whole other person. my boyfriend notices it too. Just happy go lucky. I asked my dr for years about the pills and lowering sex drive and attitude. she said no research shows that blah blah blah. But I know it was the pill making me feel like an old woman. LOL :)