Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cormega

Just Started Accutane. 2 Questions. Please Help

1) I don't have terrible acne, but nothing else has worked so the derm put me on a low dose (20mg per day) for 5-6 months. Has anyone had success using such a small dose??

2) I really need some moisturizer suggestions. I've been using cetaphil and it make my skin look terribly greasy. Suggestions please.

Thank you very much!

My skin looked kinda greasy with cetaphil at first, but now that my skin has dried out it looks fine. Even if you don't like it now, keep it for later! It works so well! I used aveeno ultra calming daily moisturizer before my skin dried up.

Try the Cerave cream. I'm about to start my fifth month on Accutane and tried several moisturizers during my first month and this was by far the best. The Cerave lotion made me greasy, but the cream was perfect! It's matte, didn't break me out, and moisturizes really well. I use it twice a day. Good luck!

Hey! :D I'm on a 20mg per day dose long term as well. It's just as effective as a higher dose for a shorter term, but you'll experience less side effects and it's generally just easier to deal with than a higher dose. I've been on it for a little over two months and I'm clear. :) My acne was not mild, either - nodular/moderate which has left quite a bit of scarring.

I use Hamilton light cream at night as a moisturizer, and a tinted moisturizer with SPF during the day, but I'm not sure if you can source these outside of Australia. Cetaphil, although a little bit sticky, is good for a night moisturizer. I used to use Neutrogena's oil free moisture with SPF, you can get that just about anywhere and it was fantastic. :) I only stopped using it because I found the one I'm using now, which I like better.

Once your skin dries out a fair bit (even on 20mg, once the oil stops, it stops dead) you'll want to be using a moisturizer like Cetaphil. It's good to start out early, even if your skin's still a bit oily, as more of a preventative measure rather than switching to something thicker once your skin has dried out.

Also, even on 20mg a day, take lip balm with you everywhere. Even if you're just walking ten meters from your house. Take lip balm! D: