Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MyAccutaneStory

My Accutane Sucess Story - Ask Me Any Questions

Sex: Male

Height: 6ft4

Weight: 93KG

Back Story

I had cystic acne on my back and occasional acne on my face for about 15 years. During this time I kept my shirt on during every beach visit. I wouldn’t go in pools, hot tubs or the sea. I would make sure my shirt was on as much as possible, even with girlfriends. I was, in short, totally ashamed of the mess that was my back.

I’d tried minocycline, oxytetracycline and various topical creams (including Benzyl Peroxide which was slightly successful) but none really made much of an impact.

Accutane

I was put on an 80mg dose of Accutane and the course lasted 5 months. Quite simply this product is amazing! But there are some side effects that I’ll describe below. Overall, it was totally worth it.

Month One

Nothing much happened, acne wise, here. I had a few spots appear that were slightly worse than normal but it pretty much stayed the same.

In the first week I noticed that the skin on my face and hands got really dry. My lips were the worst though – very dry and often cracked.

Month Two

Started to notice that my skin was clearing up a bit. Smaller spots had stopped appearing but the larger ones were still around.

I noticed that I was aching a lot more after exercise. I also found it harder to motivate myself to go to the gym as I knew I’d ache so much afterwards.

Skin still dry, lips still dry. Inside of nose is very dry too – never any nose bleeds, but an enthusiastic bout of digging for nose gold can produce some painful places inside.

Month Three

This is the month I really started to notice stuff happening. Most small spots had gone and big ones were no longer appearing. The old ones were slowly going. Skin looked much clearer.

Skin still dry, lips still dry, nose still painful at times.

Still very achey after exercise

Months Four and Five

During this time my acne totally vanished. I’m talking no more spots at all… anywhere.

Skin still dry, lips still dry (this is by FAR the most annoying part of this whole process), nose still painful at times.

The acheyness after exercise is mainly worse in my inner hip. After playing soccer it’s painful all day the next day. As such, I stopped playing soccer for the last month. Gym and running are still fine though. I think it’s the turning quickly in soccer that exacerbates it.

The Aftermath

During the next 3 months off Accutane my skin returned to normal – no more dryness. My nose is fine and best of all – my lips are no longer dry!

The aches after exercising have gone.

My skin is acne free – nothing at all, anywhere!

I went on my first holiday since coming off the drug and spent most of it topless, with no worries at all!

Hints and Tips

OK now this section is the good stuff, here’s my guide on dealing with the random bad sides of taking the drug and what I used during this time:

Body Wash

Dove Sensitive Clean

Has minimal perfumes and dyes added to it, so as not to irritate the skin.

8Ltdj.jpg

I did not use a loofa or any form of sponge for this, just by hand.

Shampoo

Head and Shoulders dry scalp care.

Good for eliminating the dandruff that comes with dry skin.

gouwE.jpg

Moisturiser

Cetaphil moisturising cream for very dry skin.

WOW this stuff is amazing. Slightly greasy but it’s awesome for even really dry skin. Used on my face and also the tops of my arms when they got dry. No other moisturiser needed.

T3uzZ.jpg

I also always carried a tiny tub of this in my coin pocket of my jeans as well as kept one in the car. Scoop out the crappy Nivea moisturiser and put some Cetaphil in there:

ijI9C.jpg

(This is about an inch across)

Eye Drops

Clear Eyes

Didn’t need these very often but preferred Clear Eyes when I did.

CRdJM.jpg

Chapstick / Lip Salve

Nivea

I went through, literally, about 30 of these! I prefer the normal Nivea ones like this:

cOZdo.jpg

The Chapstick brand ones sting, Nivea doesn’t at all. Have one on you at ALL times and keep one in the drawer at work, in your car, by your bed etc. I’d need these 24/7 and it felt like I was constantly applying them!

Lip Treatment

Lucas’ Pawpaw Ointment

If ever my lips got too bad I’d use this on them for a day or two and they would recover really well. Not cheap and you have to buy it from Australia (try ebay) but it’s amazing stuff.

AoV6S.jpg

Hand Moisturiser

Aveeno Intense Relief Hand Cream

Awesome for when your hands get really dry. Disappears after a minute or two, leaving your hands feeling much better and not greasy.

I8L6P.jpg

Acne Body Wash

Acne.org Cleanser

Can’t say for sure if this really helped, but I had some available and used that too.

Cleanser-16-2.jpg

Clothes Wash

Kirkland Unscented clothes wash

The standard unscented, undyed stuff from Costco did me fine. Anything should work here, the key is to keep the perfumes and dyes out to avoid irritation. Don’t use a fabric softener or anything in your dryer

Toothbrush as an exfoliant

I very often ‘brushed my lips’ after brushing my teeth. This got rid of the peeling skin and dry bits and left my lips smoother. Then I applied a liberal coating of Nivea chapstick or Pawpaw ointment.

Cheap Prescriptions

I went to the pharmacy for the first 3 prescription pickups, then I got a membership to Costco. On my first visit to their pharmacy I covered the cost of my membership because the drugs there were so much cheaper. Wish I’d known about this sooner!

Drinking

I love drinking and partying like the best of them, but I found the next day was a real pain with dry skin, eyes, lips etc. If you can, plan for this before bed by having everything you’ll need the next day close by. Loads of water before bed, lip salve the second you wake up and slap on a load of moisturiser (excessive amounts) about an hour before you’re going to shower. Shower it all off and apply a normal amount. Keep drinking water throughout the day and keep that Nivea chapstick and little moisturiser tub with you if you go out!

Hopefully this will help someone, I’ll add more to it as I remember. If anyone has any questions then just shout!

Omg thank you so much for these survival tips. I just started accutane today and I feel nauseas :-( ugh. I will check out the poducts you

recommended....

Hello, glad to hear Accutane was able to help you.

I'm in a similar situation, having just 2 days left on my ~5 month treatment. 80mg/day @ 170lbs. Male. Cystic acne on face, only in my cheekbone area.

I still have a few cysts, both active and not active on my face.

You say that by months 4/5 you were COMPLETELY clear?

Should this be something I'm worried about? I'm not completely clear, my dermatologist told me that this cystic acne was going into a nice remission.

My skin has gotten about 85% better compared to when I started, but even today I had someone ask me what was going on with my cheeks.

Were you able to see any progress post-accutane?

Omg thank you so much for these survival tips. I just started accutane today and I feel nauseas whistling.gif( ugh. I will check out the poducts you

recommended....

SkyLynn, Hopefully the nausea will go, alas I have a stomach of steel so I never suffered from this. Perhaps Gravol would be helpful here? You may find you just get used to it. Good luck!

Hello, glad to hear Accutane was able to help you.

I'm in a similar situation, having just 2 days left on my ~5 month treatment. 80mg/day @ 170lbs. Male. Cystic acne on face, only in my cheekbone area.

I still have a few cysts, both active and not active on my face.

You say that by months 4/5 you were COMPLETELY clear?

Should this be something I'm worried about? I'm not completely clear, my dermatologist told me that this cystic acne was going into a nice remission.

My skin has gotten about 85% better compared to when I started, but even today I had someone ask me what was going on with my cheeks.

Were you able to see any progress post-accutane?

Yup - 4-5months, completely clear. Don't let that be an 'in stone' guide though. Many people go on the drug for longer. I was more or less clear after 4 months, but the doc gave me an extra month to be sure. You might find your dermatologist will do the same. Keep at it mate, you'll get there! 85% still rocks!

Here's some more stuff I thought of:

Exercise and Diet

Gym and healthy eating were part of my life when I started Accutane, and I kept this up. I go to the gym/exercise at least three times a week, often 5+. I start the day with oatmeal and protein (eggs, protein shake etc) and most of my meals (of which I eat about 5 a day) have a fist sized portion of protein (ie chicken breast) and a fist sized portion of slow burning carbs (ie brown rice, wholewheat pasta, wholewheat bread). I eat as many veggies as I can each meal and get some good fats (ie almonds) throughout the day.

Now I'm not saying this helped, but it can't have been bad, especially for people who have stomach related issues on Accutane: Can't go wrong with whole foods.

Washing

I'd wake up, eat brekkie and then shower. Clean clothes every day, no recycling tshirts (jeans etc ok). Then after the gym at night I'd have another shower. Pat dry using a towel, don't rub dry. Clean towel every time.

Sleeping

Personally I didn't do this, but I've heard great things about sleeping on a clean pillow case / clean towel over the pillow each night, if ance on your face is bad. I didn't bother with this as I couldn't be bothered to wash my fitted mattress sheet each day (remember the acne was on my back)! I did, however, wash all my sheets weekly.

Edited by MyAccutaneStory

Your lucky you didn't have an intital breakout! My second week was terrible breakout. Exactly at 1 month now. Doctor just increased mine to 80mg a day hopefully that helps.

How old were you when you started taking the drug?

29 years old.

experience any hairloss?

Did your skin basically return to normal minus the acne? (sweating, oil production, ect)

No hair loss at all. I noticed my first grey hair when taking it though! Don't think that's anything to do with the Accutane though, as much as I'd love to blame it :)

Skin is back to normal - it wasn't ever hugely greasy but it's great now. No grease at all!

Sweating - well it only takes a flight of stairs to get me sweaty, so no change there!

Your lucky you didn't have an intital breakout! My second week was terrible breakout. Exactly at 1 month now. Doctor just increased mine to 80mg a day hopefully that helps.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment, it'll get better, promise!

Hello! So glad to see that it has been a sucess for you!

I've just started accutane. I've been on it for two days. The problem is that I forgot to tell my doctor that I stopped taking my antibiotics pills (tetralysal) the day before I started the accutane. I wanted to send him an email because I have red that you need to stay off the antibiotics some days before you start on accutane.

So I sent him an email regarding me quitting the antiobitics the day before, and he wanted me to stop taking the accutane pills and wait for 1 week and then start again.

Does this effect anything at all? Does it reduce the effect of accutane? I'm afraid that it doesn't help as much as if I didnt take the week off. (Me being paranoid)

Also - I'm around 6.4ft myself, 18 years old and my weight is 86.4.

The doctor gave me 20mg and he wanted me to take 2 pills to dinner for 2 weeks, then go over to 3 pills.

But you took 80mg? Isn't that alot? Maybe he'll give me more dose afterwards if I don't get any huge side effects?

I would appreciate an answer :)

Regards,

Daniel

Hello! So glad to see that it has been a sucess for you!

I've just started accutane. I've been on it for two days. The problem is that I forgot to tell my doctor that I stopped taking my antibiotics pills (tetralysal) the day before I started the accutane. I wanted to send him an email because I have red that you need to stay off the antibiotics some days before you start on accutane.

So I sent him an email regarding me quitting the antiobitics the day before, and he wanted me to stop taking the accutane pills and wait for 1 week and then start again.

Does this effect anything at all? Does it reduce the effect of accutane? I'm afraid that it doesn't help as much as if I didnt take the week off. (Me being paranoid)

Also - I'm around 6.4ft myself, 18 years old and my weight is 86.4.

The doctor gave me 20mg and he wanted me to take 2 pills to dinner for 2 weeks, then go over to 3 pills.

But you took 80mg? Isn't that alot? Maybe he'll give me more dose afterwards if I don't get any huge side effects?

I would appreciate an answer smile.png

Regards,

Daniel

Definitely go to your Doc and ask him about this - I'm not a doctor, just someone who's used the drug, and I've never even heard of tetrasyl!

80mg is a high, but then for my height and weight it's pretty normal.

I started taking Accutane today and I a question.. is your skin still as clear as when you stopped Accutane?

I hope I'll get to where you are one day!

I started taking Accutane today and I a question.. is your skin still as clear as when you stopped Accutane?

I hope I'll get to where you are one day!

Hi BitsyBit,

Yup - totally as clear as when I stopped! I think the sucess rate is something like 90% with most people so I'm sure you'll be where I am eventually! Good luck!

Hello again! Just another question - I know that it says that you have to take the pill with food. But does that mean before you eat, in the middle of your meal, or right after the meal? What did you do?

So glad to hear that accutane has worked for you, hopefully it will for me aswell!

Cheers

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the slow reply!

Took about 3ish months to start working in a significantly noticable way. By the end of the time using it I had very little redness. About 2 months after stopping it the final random red marks dissapeared. I still have scars that I believe will probably always be there. Luckily these are just on my back.

I had one pill with breakfast and one pill about 5pm with a meal. I always ate them with food, usually before my first mouthful, but I don't think it really matters. Occasionally I had one without food, with no ill effects.

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the slow reply!

Took about 3ish months to start working in a significantly noticable way. By the end of the time using it I had very little redness. About 2 months after stopping it the final random red marks dissapeared. I still have scars that I believe will probably always be there. Luckily these are just on my back.

I had one pill with breakfast and one pill about 5pm with a meal. I always ate them with food, usually before my first mouthful, but I don't think it really matters. Occasionally I had one without food, with no ill effects.

No problem!

Thanks for the reply.

I do have some more questiones.

- Is it true, that it increases the growth of hair? Like beard etc.

- Should you be using something post Accutane? Like any sort of cream/gel/cleanser or so.

- Is it a good idea to use a gentle cleanser while on Accutane? Or just wash ur face + mouistorizer?

- I would like to work out during Accutane aswell, is that possible?

Anyone capeable of answering these questions? :)

I do have some more questiones.

- Is it true, that it increases the growth of hair? Like beard etc.

- Should you be using something post Accutane? Like any sort of cream/gel/cleanser or so.

- Is it a good idea to use a gentle cleanser while on Accutane? Or just wash ur face + mouistorizer?

- I would like to work out during Accutane aswell, is that possible?

Anyone capeable of answering these questions? smile.png

Hi Vinravn,

Not sure about hair growth - I didn't notice anything growing longer or shorter. I'd actually heard in some cases it can lead to hair loss!

Post accutane I still shower every day but I don't use any cleansers or anything like that. I live in a very dry area so I have a moisturiser handy if I need it.

Whilst on accutane use a very gentle cleanser. I used the one available on this site (see pic above).

Working out is no worries. I was doing something usually most days - I was going to the gym, playing soccer etc. Had no problems with this at all, apart from a few excessive aches and pains I wouldn't have usually had.

Hope this helps!

Thank you really much!

I'm signed up for a dermatologist the 26th of march, which I'm looking really much forward to.

I've tried Tetracyclin, basiron, clindoxyl and countless of other products. I cross fingers for an Accutane course :)