Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blissful828

Really Bad Acne After Coming Off The Pill

Hey guys, don't know if this is the correct place to post...

I was on the pill for 1 year exact, on this pill called Gracial.

I have been off for four months, and ever since last month and after I got my second period, my acne has flared up really bad. On my forehead right now which is SO UGLY. Every pore seem to be congested...

I really need some advice, people. I am so upset right now.

I have been taking EPO, zinc, burdoch root supplements. I'm planning to boost up my supplement intake to Dr. Perricone's skin clear supplements. I hope it will do well...

I'm so eager to hear if there is anyone out there who has gone through the same problem, and has a solution to this. I'm so sure it is due to coming off the pill, as my acne has never ever been this terrible before going on the pill.

Help please :(:(:(

I'm in the same boat. :( After years of antibiotics, I finally got a doctor to give me Accutane. It cleared everything up great for about a year. Then it came back and I switched from Nuvaring (which doesn't help acne) to Apri, which does. I had the occasional zit, but nothing like before.

Recently my husband and I decided to see if we could have a baby. I even visited the dermatologist beforehand because I knew my acne would flare after stopping the pill. My husband wanted me to go back on Accutane, given how well it worked before. Of course, I would delay the baby-making until I was finished and it was out of my system. She didn't want to go that route, but put me on topical Clyndamycin once a day at first. The acne came anyway. During a follow-up, she also put my on Finacea. Apparently these are the only acne drugs that don't cross the placenta when you're pregnant.

My acne really bothers my husband (he's not hurtful about it, but it still hurts), which gets in the way of intimacy. After an unhappy few months, I'm back on the pill. Acne wasn't the only reason....I'm also not sure about having a kid and I need some major dental work soon that I can't do while pregnant. I have another appointment with my dermatologist and we'll see what she says. Everyone just acts like acne is one of those things you can put aside and go on with the rest of your life. I really feel like it's getting in the way of my life.

Also, even though I've been back on the pill for a couple of months, it's taking a long time for things to clear. I sometimes wish I had left well enough alone.

I have gotten off of various pills two different times after being on them several years at a time, and both times started breaking out in places I had never broken out in before. The first time I got offf, I started breaking out on the part of my cheeks that is where side burns would be if I were a dude. LIke the part b/t my jawbone and my cheekbone on the way sides of my face. After two pregnancies, that cleared up. Plus I went back on the pill, so that probably had something to do with it. THen this last time I came off the pill, I have started getting neck and jawline breakouts. I am hoping that epo and my topicals will help, but maybe aging will as well. Anyway, it really sucks when this happens. In my case, I can't take the pill anymore, so it's not like I can "fix" it by going on it again. I don't want to anyway - I've had worse side effects from the pill than acne. I do wonder what my skin would have been like if i had never gotten on the pill to begin with, but that is neither here nor there.

Since it's almost certain that you are having hormonal issues, have you asked your dermatologist about spironolactone? A lot of ppl have good results with that stuff. Might be something worth discussing. Best wishes.

Hey thanks for you replies. It seems inevitable that women do get hormonal imbalance after they get off the pill. I went to the doc, he (not a very good doctor, wanted to shove me out of the office and didn't listen to my story) scorned and said that my acne is severe and have to take antibiotics. I refused - the place that i am in today is mainly due to the pill, a medication. I do not want any more meds to 'help'. I asked if the condition is going to persist and what I can do about it: he said, take the pill, or go on antibiotics. He said it's never going to get better, which I know is complete BS because I've seen on boards that time takes its place. Then I told him my friends were okay after a few months, he went, oh, that depends on the person, but a minute ago he said hormonal acne will never go away. What is a dick head, considering hs name is Dicky in the first place

Anyhow, i went to a chinese doctor, and today my acne (ever since my last post) has gotten a little better. Still some breakouts, but the Chinese doctor said my issue will pass away and that my acne isn't severe. There are still bumps and scars,,, bc I picked at it. I hope it will get better. I realize that picking at your skin aggravates the problem, and when I did stop picking yesterday, today my skin is less red.

I hope that herbal medicine will help me. Just want to say that these doctors are so unresponsible! They shove pills at us saying it's like candy, no problem . go ahead and eat it. and when we get off, he said to take antibiotics. this is absurd.

I just hope that my acne gets better though over time.

Edited by blissful828

Hey Blissful,

You are not alone. Your post reminded me so much of myself. I decided to go off the Pill earlier this year. I enjoyed a few months of flawless skin and had high hopes that I no longer needed the pill to control my acne - boy, was I wrong. After about 3-4 months of no BC, my acne came back with a vengeance. I got TERRIBLE cystic acne on my chin, which clearly points to the fact that the cysts were hormonal. I went back on BC - Nuvaring, this time - and am now using a whole host of topical creams, gels and medication to control my cyst breakouts. I've found that Epiduo works quite well for normal (non-cystic) acne, and Mupirocin ointment USP (2%) works well as a spot treatment if you can get your dermo to prescribe it. Mupirocin is basically a high powered Neosporin, so it kills the bacteria that causes acne FAST ... but you can only use it for a week at a time. Anyway, sorry that you're dealing with this but rest assured you are not the only one. Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the replies, at the point I am very upset, but I'm determined not to go on BC anymore, as it's meds in the first place that gotten me into this suitation. I just hope that this goes away with time fast. My acne is mainly all on my forehead, tiny tiny bumps that is really disgusting under the sun. This never happened to me before.

Do you guys know how long this will last for? I don't know if I can handle this if it's for a year plus...

Every doctor that I've seen and everything that I've read online says that it takes at least a few months before your hormones levels start to even out after coming off the pill. I have seen 3 dermatologists in the past 5 months and they all said to stay the course and just "wait it out" in terms of the acne going away ....

Every doctor that I've seen and everything that I've read online says that it takes at least a few months before your hormones levels start to even out after coming off the pill. I have seen 3 dermatologists in the past 5 months and they all said to stay the course and just "wait it out" in terms of the acne going away ....

Hello MCGhee,

How long have you been off the pill for? And has it gotten better as time gone by? Did you acne flare up immediately after u got off the pill tho, cus mine came only in the 4month!

Hey Blissful,

Here's the text of my earlier post from 9 Dec:

You are not alone. Your post reminded me so much of myself. I decided to go off the Pill earlier this year. I enjoyed a few months of flawless skin and had high hopes that I no longer needed the pill to control my acne - boy, was I wrong. After about 3-4 months of no BC, my acne came back with a vengeance. I got TERRIBLE cystic acne on my chin, which clearly points to the fact that the cysts were hormonal. I went back on BC - Nuvaring, this time - and am now using a whole host of topical creams, gels and medication to control my cyst breakouts. I've found that Epiduo works quite well for normal (non-cystic) acne, and Mupirocin ointment USP (2%) works well as a spot treatment if you can get your dermo to prescribe it. Mupirocin is basically a high powered Neosporin, so it kills the bacteria that causes acne FAST ... but you can only use it for a week at a time. Anyway, sorry that you're dealing with this but rest assured you are not the only one. Hope this helps!!

You sound a lot like me - I had GREAT skin for the first 3-4 months after coming off the pill, then my skin staged a mutiny and has been terrible ever since. At the moment I am on birth control, but not the pill. I am giving Nuvaring for a go for few months but not ruling out going back on the pill. My cystic acne has not gotten much better in the past 4 months but I am right on the cusp of when my doctors (and others on acne.org) have suggested that I might start seeing an improvement. I will keep you posted!!

You might want to refer to this 14 page topic on "acne after stopping birth control pills"

http://www.acne.org/...-control-pills/

I couldn't do it. I've been on birth control pills since I was 17. I'm 22 now, I've tried stopping them on 2 occasions to try to go down the more "natural" route. But clear skin to me is much more important so I'm back on it, going through initial breakout phase. It's not worth it to me to stop it anymore, i'll just stay on it for as long as possible since I'm still young.

Edited by calichick01

Thanks for your replies guys.

McGhee: how long is a 'few' months? Because to me a few would mean 2 - 3 , but since it's been almost the fifth month, i hope it's waning? But I am kind of doubting it now...

calichick01: have bad did ur acne turn when you stopped those two occasions? how long did it take you to break out?

calichick01: have bad did ur acne turn when you stopped those two occasions? how long did it take you to break out?

Bad enough that I missed being clear on the pill, having normal skin and having normal hair (without the pill, I am the oiliest imaginable). My chin breaks out, and I get a cyst or two near my nose and forehead. And those leave scars...so being on the birth control pill just regulates my hormones, and I have manageable hair and skin..I think it took about a few weeks to notice that my skin was gradually becoming more oily and my hair was becoming super oily the day after I washed it..those are the first signs that your hormones are going out of control again and then slowly weeks after stopping the pills, comes the acne..

Edited by calichick01

I just got off the pill about a month ago and my chin is taking the full effect of it. Iv been trying to control it with gels and lotions hoping that it will pass. My skin and hair get super oily so iv been making sure to take a shower everyday otherwise I would look like a total grease ball. I was really hoping I would of grew out of my acne by now. Iv been on and off oral medications since I was 13 and I'm 24 now. I can't imagine what state my insides are in right now.

I just got off the pill about a month ago and my chin is taking the full effect of it. Iv been trying to control it with gels and lotions hoping that it will pass. My skin and hair get super oily so iv been making sure to take a shower everyday otherwise I would look like a total grease ball. I was really hoping I would of grew out of my acne by now. Iv been on and off oral medications since I was 13 and I'm 24 now. I can't imagine what state my insides are in right now.

Same... my hair is super oily that I'm considering to wash it twice a day. I'm planning to go for a facial peel again as well, the number of small bumps is surreal.. And I have acne inside my scalp which is really disgusting as well....

Just an update, I had to go back on my birth control because the condition was getting bad again and I was becoming depressed. I wanted to stop it before it got severe. Im convinced my acne is hormonal now. Good Luck with yours don't let it get out of control, its not worth it. *Sigh* sad.png

Edited by Sugarkissh20

Just an update, I had to go back on my birth control because the condition was getting bad again and I was becoming depressed. I wanted to stop it before it got severe. Im convinced my acne is hormonal now. Good Luck with yours don't let it get out of control, its not worth it. *Sigh* %7Boption%7Dhttp://www.acne.org/messageboard//public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png[/mg]

Whatever treatment you choose is great. It happens so fast. Mine literally got out of control in a matter of days! It was painful and traumatic. I completely agree, do something before it becomes severe, because that leads to scarring and more expensive treatment later on in life just for scars! Just know it takes time for the BC to control it again. I know I started noticing a difference towards the end of the 2bd month. Good luck pretty lady!

Thanks! I use Ortho Tricyclne Lo and Septra together with some topicals on the side. Septra, I really wanted to stop cause it isnt good for long term use but its like im dependent on it. Both products from what I hear are a hit and miss with everyone but luckily they work for me. unsure.png

Edited by Sugarkissh20

Is it true that it's now related to the cycle?? Because I honestly think it is, now it breaks out on the cycl ie. my skin gets wayyy more oilier than before when I'm on the period (before and after period actually) .. does this mean it's normalizing? but what's weird is that people usually get breaksouts when they're ON the period..?

SOmethings must be weird... screw BCPs...

I'm going to think twice about trying to stop the pill in the future because this is the 2nd occasion I've tried to stop it (in July), and I started back up the pill in October, and I've been having the worst initial breakout....I think all this starting and stopping and starting and stopping and then starting again messes more with your hormones.....

I'm going to think twice about trying to stop the pill in the future because this is the 2nd occasion I've tried to stop it (in July), and I started back up the pill in October, and I've been having the worst initial breakout....I think all this starting and stopping and starting and stopping and then starting again messes more with your hormones.....

ouch... yeah i guess that's the issue as well... my breakouts a little better than before, but crossing my fingers!! all these hormones aren't good for the body, so i think regardless, it'll take some time for our body to adjust to. i'm guessing breakouts are inevitable, since you got acne when you got off the pill. some of my friends had no skin problems , some gained weight. guess hormones do play an important role in our bodies...

ouch... yeah i guess that's the issue as well... my breakouts a little better than before, but crossing my fingers!! all these hormones aren't good for the body, so i think regardless, it'll take some time for our body to adjust to. i'm guessing breakouts are inevitable, since you got acne when you got off the pill. some of my friends had no skin problems , some gained weight. guess hormones do play an important role in our bodies...

Wait are you back on the pill again?

Wait are you back on the pill again?

No I'm not anymoree :)