Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soysauce

Starting Accutane: Nervous But Ready For Clear Skin!

Ive been luking these boards for a while now and finally decided to make my own log. Im 19m, weigh 165 and on 80/mg day. Currently 1month into my course. I will get pictures up when im not feeling so lazy.

Well im gonna try to keep it short and sweet. Acne started around the age of 15, was never to worried about it and didnt bother me much cause it was never to bad. At the end of my Senior year of highschool it started to get progessively worse, i tried pro-active and it helped but my skin got immune to it. I then started another regimen that worked wonders for 2months.

Then all hell broke loose, i ended up going to jail for a month. During this time i literally was unable to wash my face for the entire time, the only soap i got was an all in one shampoo/body wash and shave gel. So i didnt put this on my face thinking it would just cause more of a breakout. I got out and my skin was in the worst condition it has ever been, i tried to go back on the regimen I had but didnt get the results I had the first time. I then asked my mom to take me to the dermo for the first time, I never felt the need to go before because I wanted to just grow out of it, i wasnt gonna let a little acne get me down! Its just outa control now and needs to be taken care of.

So thats why im here today. In 8 months ill be shipping off for the Navy, im scared im not gonna be able to get all the supplies i need to properly be able to take care of my face, and changing my everyday lifestyle might just make my skin go crazy again. I went to my first derm appointment and told her I dont wanna have to worry about my face getting worse while im gone, she jumped straight to it and offered me accutane. Sooo here it goes!

My acne is most on my cheeks and chin. Right now I have 2 cysts on my right cheeck and my left has no actives, some whiteheads on my chin. Having a bad breakout around the mouth area, I thought I was gonna skip the IB but I think it started about 2 days ago.

1Month in

Sides

-Very dry skalp

-Dry lips

-Back hurts

-Peeling face

-Unusually tired

Edited by soysauce

I hope your break out doesn't last too long, although it's quite common to still be breaking out in the second month

Anyway, good luck!

I'm glad you got your life sorted out and back on track! :) Well done (and I don't mean it in a patronizing way).

Don't be too nervous about Accutane. A lot of the side effects people post about are fairly rare. You don't know how you're personally going to come out of it until you've done it. I've been on it for two months and so far I am absolutely fine; I have nodular acne, too. You just have to remain positive, listen to your body and treat yourself kindly. You might break out until your fourth month. Lots of people don't see clearing for a while but when it happens, it's quite rapid.

Anti-dandruff shampoo is really good for the dry scalp, coal tar shampoo is good too. I use Head & Shoulders, it stopped the itchy scalp in its tracks. Paw paw ointment is fantastic for dry lips and doesn't make the issue worse, it's especially good if you slather it on overnight. You don't wake up with cracked, bleeding lips. The tiredness hit me like a brick in my first month but the edge comes off after a while. :)

Good luck with everything! You have our support here. :)

Day 32

Well the IB is deffinetly coming in hard, feeling pretty down about my skin today. Debating on whether or not to go to a party tonight. One of the cyst of my right cheek is very big and red. The one above it is also coming in pretty hard.

Lots of peeling on my face, lips are still dry even with aquaphor.

Went to lunch today with a few buddies and ended up getting another nose bleed. Pretyy annoying but ima gonna stick it out! Will be worth it in the end, havent felt what it like to have clear skin for a while.

Day 34

Face looks like CRAP today, well it does on every other day also but today its especially bad. The cyst on my right cheek is no joke probably a dime in size. Never had one this big so im kinda freakin out.

Also I just noticed a rash around my elbow, do these usually go away fast? Is there something to put on it?

Rant time

Ugh, Ive been trying to get outa my house for a while now. My relationship with my parents isnt that great, granted some was my fault just cause I make stupid choices. saywhat.gif But only problem with getting out of the house and into my own is getting a full time job and Im feeling really bad about my skin.. I would constantly be worried about how I look and if others are looking it would just make work misserable, I have a connect with Buffalo Wild Wings and could easily be waiter making good money. I have great people skills but not when im feeling like this, So am i gonna go do that with a face full of acne and an IB coming in? HELL NO, so hopefully accutane will do its job and knock this soon. Cause I think if I have my own place it would just be better for me mentally, always fighting and not being able to get along sucks. All the stress my family causes me could possibly be a contributor to acne also!

/Rant

Edited by soysauce

Day 37

Things are looking up! The last two mornings I woke up and my skin became alot less irritated and lots of bumps are going down. I feel absolutely great, I havent had skin like this in forever. I mean I just had a complete 360 degree turn around from 2 days ago.

Back and joint pain in getting a little irritating though, if i bend down I literally have to take like 5 deep breaths and then the pain subdues a little. I havent taken any kind of medicine accept for this accutane in a LONG time. I try to let my body heal on its own the natural way, besides my acne cause it just got me down so much. I have found out what will completely take away any pain in the joints/back, simply smoke a litte pot.. t truly helps! After i smoke the pain just goes away, so if your experiencing alot of pain I would suggest taking a few tokes. shifty.gif

Edited by soysauce

Day 40

Skin is being very up and down, right now I have like 4 big pimples on my right cheek. Breaking out around the mouth also. But whatever I'm gonna go rave hard tonight and just forget about it, it'll be dark so it should be alright. Peace

I'm definitely gonna order me a tube, someone else suggested it so it must be good stuff, thanks!

On a side note, went to the rave tonight and had a blast. Most fun I've had in a while, brings me back to my old personality. The silly wild me,I guess since it was dark I wasn't worried about anyone staring at my skin. It was awesome, later y'all

Day 43

Skin is looking a little better, had a HUGE embarrassing cist on my chin pop up but it's going down. The ones on my cheek also are. My nose looks great though, no more huge pores! IB possibly might be going away

Sides

-really dry skalp

-dry lips

-vision gets a slight blur to it sometimes, has anyone else had this?

And I'm really hoping the accutane starts knocking this shit out, met an awesome girl but not gonna try to take her out until this shit is gone!

Day 46

Im starting to feel a little bit better about my skin, the cysts on my right cheek are almost gone. Im just left with some red marks now, I have pale skin so PIH is kinda a problem. Is there anything to use while on accutane to reduce PIH. Im just kinda nervous to put anything else on my face since im seeing progress right now.

Hang in there everyone! Its a long a tough jounery but it will be worth it in the end.

Day 54

Merry christmas eve everyone, thought i'd drop by and give yall an update on my skin.

Ive been very pleased with my skin the past 3 days, all the cist and pimples I had came to a head and I popped them but are now healing very quickly. I think the faster I get all the junk outa my face the faster they heal. Face has very little inflamation, this is what use to make my acne look so bad. It was just so red on my pale skin! Right now I couldnt be happier. Going to a little christmas party at my best friends house and their will be a bunch of people there so im auctually excited to go!

Hope everyones hollidays are great, dont let acne get the best of you.

Edited by soysauce

Day 57

Well I think I might loose my mind, my skin is so up and down. 3 days ago my skin looked AWESOME. Now today I wake up and it's like... WTF. But pimples have seemed to be healing Alot faster and some of my pih is Auctually fading so I'm happy about that.

New side effects- its really messing with my appetite, I'll feel super hungry but when I go to eat its just like my stomach says no.

This one is kinda weird and I'm not sure if it's from the accutane but I've never been like this- whenever I smoke some pot (and I've been smoking a long time) I get super paranoid, like I'll be chillin in my house late at night and every little noise and sound that I hear freaks me out. Like I'm worried someone is in my house. It's weird and I'm not sure why it's happening.

On a good note- went hunting today and killed me an 8 point and a coyote. So I had a good day, no one around to look at my skin also! One love, later!

Day 78

Havent posted in a while cause their wasnt much change in my skin, now im approaching the 3 month mark. This is where people start to see results ive read most of the time and it looks like the accutane is finally winning the battle for me to! I currently have 3 actives and their relatively small. Im feeling great. Took a girl out to dinner auctually cause I felt a confidence boost.

Not many sides anymore but still a few

-Still having dry lips

-Double vision, but rarely

-Having trouble sleeping, not sure if this is accutane related?

Ill try to update more once my skin progresses even further.

Wow deffinetly talk to them about upping your dose, you might experience more of an IB but in the end I believe it will give you a better chance of not going into remission. Good luck to you

Day 90

Its been a while since I have last updated because I thought my skin was finally starting to adjust, but of course accutane has its ups and down.

I went to San antonio about 4 days ago to see all my buddies that went off to college up there. I munched down on fast food cause their appartments have nothing to eat. And after a night of partying everyone always wants to go to whataburger. Great, so I pretty much ate fast food for 2 days. My skin was looking good at this time. Well about 3 days after I arrive home my face started breaking out badly, 2 new cysts on the right cheek, huge pimple on my nose. It Looks fabulous, left side of my face is breaking out in a few small pimples, and a nice red inflamed zit right on my chin!

Im deffinetly convinced shitty food contributes to my acne. So now im going to try cutting meat outa my diet except for like 3 times a week. Lots of fruits and im gonna try to get some veggies down (i hate veggies) Its gonna be hard because I love meat, but ill make the sacrifice for happy skin!

I cant wait for this shit to be over! Almost half way through, hopefully will start seeing major improvements soon.

Sides

-Face is more red than normal

-Any pimple that heals is leaving behind red marks. Skin feels very dellicate

Edited by soysauce

Day 152

Wow it's been a long time since I have updated but I come with good news! I have ONE active pimple. Feels amazing, only thing bothering me now is the pih. But I'm not gonna let it get me down cause I've been through way worse than this!

And the derm bumped my dosage up to 120 for 4 days a week. Deffinetly feel the effects. Course is almost over I'm pumped, ready to stop taking this shit!