Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhysicalGraffiti

Does Lifestyle/diet Really Affect Acne?

this is my first post haha, but Ive been suffering from acne since I hit puberty ( so two and a half years now) Back, chest and face. Ive used different makeup, cleansers, creams and some antiobiotics and differin once. nothing has ever lasted. But this past summer my face totally cleared up and looked great.(Other than it looking like a oil spill) The thing though is in the summer I dropped all my vitamins, drank soda, ate crap, drank alcohol, stayed up late and got horrible sleep, and my face was glowing. Only acne was one nodular on each side of my cheek by my ear. Now its november and my face is erupted in tons of whiteheads on my forehead and mouth are and painful little bumps all over my cheeks, and painful cyst like pimples on my back. It was bad so i started taking my vitamins and a birth control and its still getting worse. So does diet and lifestyle really affect acne in my case ? (or yours?)

Absolutely. No question about it.

If I eat crap or if I'm indoors for too long without sunshine, I break out. When I live as healthy as possible, I'm perfectly clear.

Like you, I clear up in the summer. I think it has to do with the sun exposure or maybe the increase of moisture as winter can be drying.. Not sure. But as for diet, a poor diet is always reflective in my skin. I know this, but yet I still eat junk!! I have horrible will power.

Guest Timehealsall

If I eat crap or if I'm indoors for too long without sunshine, I break out. When I live as healthy as possible, I'm perfectly clear.

Wouldn't taking vitamin d have the same effect as being in the sun?

yea and you wont get the sun damage

I definitely think my acne and my lifestyle/diet are related.

Drinking too much caffeine is definitely a no-no for me (which is hard because I love red bull, pepsi max etc) and I know that I will break out very soon if I have more than a small glass of diet coke or pepsi.

I am currently experimenting with a gluten free diet to see whether this is a contributing factor as well.

I would recommend natural sources of vitamin D such as sun exposure and cod liver oil/fish over synthetic vitamin D supplements. There has been conflicting studies out there about Vitamin D in supplement form.

this is my first post haha, but Ive been suffering from acne since I hit puberty ( so two and a half years now) Back, chest and face. Ive used different makeup, cleansers, creams and some antiobiotics and differin once. nothing has ever lasted. But this past summer my face totally cleared up and looked great.(Other than it looking like a oil spill) The thing though is in the summer I dropped all my vitamins, drank soda, ate crap, drank alcohol, stayed up late and got horrible sleep, and my face was glowing. Only acne was one nodular on each side of my cheek by my ear. Now its november and my face is erupted in tons of whiteheads on my forehead and mouth are and painful little bumps all over my cheeks, and painful cyst like pimples on my back. It was bad so i started taking my vitamins and a birth control and its still getting worse. So does diet and lifestyle really affect acne in my case ? (or yours?)

Diet has a huge effect. Have you been under a lot of stress when the breakouts starting coming on? Do you eat lot of grains? Taken antibiotics? Birth control? What do you use for skincare? These can all have a big effect on acne, as well as diet.

15 minutes in the sun without sunscreen every day is beneficial in preventing every single type of cancer (minus melanoma, but at 15 minutes I really wouldn't be concerned) and is one of the main reasons you and everything else on this mostly blue planet are alive. Sure, wear a hat/sunscreen if you're going to be in direct sunlight for over half an hour but sunshine does your body (and your skin) lots of good. Sidenote, my mom recently stopped taking vitamin D when the inside of her mouth started tasting metallic. According to her doctor she was taking too much and there are many health concerns with supplemental forms of it (although I do take it myself as it's included in a vitamin A supplement I take).

15 minutes in the sun without sunscreen every day is beneficial in preventing every single type of cancer (minus melanoma, but at 15 minutes I really wouldn't be concerned) and is one of the main reasons you and everything else on this mostly blue planet are alive. Sure, wear a hat/sunscreen if you're going to be in direct sunlight for over half an hour but sunshine does your body (and your skin) lots of good. Sidenote, my mom recently stopped taking vitamin D when the inside of her mouth started tasting metallic. According to her doctor she was taking too much and there are many health concerns with supplemental forms of it (although I do take it myself as it's included in a vitamin A supplement I take).

Short periods of sun exposure add up over time, and can create damage to your skin in the long run. For people that have some melanin in your skin, it's okay. But people like me who have caucassian skin, it get's damaged very easily. That's why caucassian skin ages the fastest, because it barely has any melanin.

My Mom wears tank tops everyday and works outside so she is in the sun. Her arms and shoulders look really damaged and old while her stomach(that has never seen the sun) is very fresh skin with no damage. It's the same with her other caucassian friends.

I never expose my skin to the sun and definately do not need 15min a day laying in the sun.

You are right, she did take too much vit. D suppliments, that's just it, it was too much and that's why she had those problems. Just like if you get too much sun, you will have problems. It goes both ways.

Half my family is iranian and cover themselves fully, their skin doesn't see the sunlight..and they have no problems. Their skin is still youthfull even when they are 40. 15 min a day of sun, WILL damage your skin, but you notice the damage later on in life in the form of age spots and damaged cells.

If you don't ever expose your skin to the sun, your skin will still keep it's fresh look and suppleness, period.

Short periods of sun exposure add up over time, and can create damage to your skin in the long run. For people that have some melanin in your skin, it's okay. But people like me who have caucassian skin, it get's damaged very easily. That's why caucassian skin ages the fastest, because it barely has any melanin.

My Mom wears tank tops everyday and works outside so she is in the sun. Her arms and shoulders look really damaged and old while her stomach(that has never seen the sun) is very fresh skin with no damage. It's the same with her other caucassian friends.

I never expose my skin to the sun and definately do not need 15min a day laying in the sun.

You are right, she did take too much vit. D suppliments, that's just it, it was too much and that's why she had those problems. Just like if you get too much sun, you will have problems. It goes both ways.

Half my family is iranian and cover themselves fully, their skin doesn't see the sunlight..and they have no problems. Their skin is still youthfull even when they are 40. 15 min a day of sun, WILL damage your skin, but you notice the damage later on in life in the form of age spots and damaged cells.

If you don't ever expose your skin to the sun, your skin will still keep it's fresh look and suppleness, period.

Caucassian, how exotic.