Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avenger

My Lymecycline + Benzoyl Peroxide Log

Having started my Lymecycline treatment a week ago today, I thought this would be a great opportunity to share my journey and experiences with this Antibiotic.

I'm taking Lymecycline with Quinoderm 10% Benzoyl Peroxide which I use every night.

My doctor instructed me to take the treatment with food, at breakfast making it very convenient and less hassle than having to take it on an empty stomach (just my opinion).

Before beginning the course my face was red, oily, dull and generally crap so to speak. Quinoderm had done a good job in keeping my acne at bay, but it was still there and still persistent. I wanted something that would attack the acne from the inside, not just outside which is why I asked my doctor for Antibiotics. She said Lymecycline was more powerful than the rest and more likely to be effective against Acne.

One week later, the acne is still there, but is smaller and much less aggressive. My skin tone is looking better and is less oily with regard to switching my moisturiser to a shine control with added Tea Tree Oil. Whether or not this is the change in moisturiser or the Antibiotics slowly beginning to kick in we will have to see. I personally think it's a combination of both.

Today, I have also been taking Vitamin A supplements in the form of cod liver oil. 2 tablespoons in the morning and 2 in the evening giving a grand total of around 6,500 UI and about 40 UI of Vitamin D. It's above the recommended in take, but I'll see how it goes.

My regimen as it stands currently:

Morning:

Wake up & wash face with Nivea for men sensitive face wash

Apply Simple Anti Blemish Moisturiser

Take Lymecycline with breakfast

Evening:

Wash face with Nivea for men sensitive face wash

Apply Quinoderm 10% Benzoyl Peroxide

Apply Simple Light hydrating moisturiser

Edited by Avenger

Beginning of day 9.

Starting to enjoy clear skin with a couple active pimples that are so small you wouldn't even know they're there. Skin tone has improved massively and skin is soft and smooth. I feel as if the antibiotics are slowly but surely beginning to kick in.

There's some PIH that will hopefully begin to fade over the next few weeks.

Edited by Avenger

Beginning of day 11.

Skin is still beginning to clear. The large pimple on the side of my head is decreasing. I only have one small white head that will probably disappear in the shower, and only 2 or 3 tiny bumps on my chin that I'm not bothered about at all.

Last night I changed my face wash and moisturiser to:

Simple Oil Balancing Exfoliating Face Wash with Witch Hazel

Simple Oil Balancing Moisturiser with shine control

Simple is the brand name for anyone interested - doesn't seem to be wildly discussed on here, but it seems to be a popular brand in the UK.

Beginning of week 2

Few new pimples here and there but are quickly fading. PIH marks are better than they were two weeks ago. Not a lot of change really since my last post.

I'll keep you all updated with any changes in the next couple of days :)

Beginning of week 3

I've made a few changes to my regimen in the past couple of days. I found that the 'Simple' oil balancing products have had no effect or made my skin worse. Both offered shine control - probably only lasted an hour. Both products contain oil which began to worry me and force me to make changes.

I'm now back to using the Nivea For Men Sensitive range, including face wash and shaving gel. Both are great and contain few ingredients. The cleanser I like because it's soft, lathers well, cleanses well and contains no soap, alcohol or fragrances, and it's for sensitive skin!

I'm now spot treating with benzoyl peroxide - I have few spots, mostly tiny whiteheads and 1 or two inflamed spots therefore no need to rub harsh chemicals all over my face.

I've decided not to use a moisturiser for the time being. I want my skin to breathe. I've been using simples range of moisturising products for a year, all of which contains oils and tons of ingredients, which might be agreeing with my skin, but we'll see!