Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baileykcool

Redness & Dermatologists...

My face gets really red, even though I don't know why. I want to go to a dermatologist, but I don't know how to ask my mom... I'm afraid she'll say no. I know if I do ask, she'll say something along the lines of "Then stop wearing so much makeup! You wont have as much acne!". My mom also has a slightly red face, but not as bad as mine. The only reason I wear makeup is to cover up my redness... No redness= no makeup. Ugh. I don't know what to do about this!!

I mean how bad is your redness? Photographs? If you just have general redness and nothing particularly horrid going on, some anti-inflammatories should help. Try some aloe vera gel at night while you sleep, or even during the day; it always reduces my super-bad inflamed acne. I'm not sure really what your dealing with though. If you just have pale skin, and the blood seems to be really apparent in your face, that's completely normal and perfectly attractive! It means you're a real girl, with real skin. I think it's cute to see a girl's real face, without her makeup!

My. face. is. gross. I would get a picture but you can never actually see how bad my face is. So many clogged pores, redness, acne scars, oiliness. Just wrong. I've never done the aloe vera gel because I sleep on the side of my face, probably wiping it all off. I have VERY sensitive skin. I will get pictures to you soon. And I have like itty bitty spider looking veins in the crevice of my nose. Pictures won't show those either... I like not wearing makeup, but it's impossible to look okay without it!! It's RED- red. You can see it even through my makeup...

I have those veins too, I think they're broken capillaries? No bueno. I have ALWAYS had facial redness too.. I think it's genetic. My mom's face is generally red-ish also. I hate it. I started wearing foundation at a young age because of it. I went to a derm recently who thought I had Rosacea ..which I know I do not have. It's really disappointing to feel like you have done more research about the skin than practicing dermatologists. Anyways! I don't want to discourage you from going. There are some smart ones out there. I think if you went to your mom and asked her if you could talk about something important you/bothering you, that should would hopefully be empathetic and understanding with your concern. If you're under your mom or dad's insurance, the appointment shouldn't be costly either. Tell her you will take care of the co-pay or do some chores for her to work it off. Good luck!

I started wearing foundation because of it too, in 8th grade. I hate wearing makeup! I don't really know if I have rosacea, but my face does flush every once in a while. I'm just so afraid of how she will react! I want to ask her since Thanksgiving break is coming up...

I remember being scared to ask my parents about the dermatologist, so here are some pointers. First of all, ask yourself if the makeup is an issue. Are you unclean in how you apply it? Or using products that sting or hurt? Does the problem go away when you don't wear makeup? If not, then most likely the makeup's not to blame unless you're using really harsh skin care to remove it or manage breakouts that are popping up from comedogenic products.

You can show that you're being responsible by cleaning your brushes regularly, using fresh sponges, and keeping your makeup clean. Be gentle with your skin when you apply it, and remove it gently as well. If you want to purchase new products, research them beforehand and choose ones for sensitive skin. Makeup can actually be a good thing if your redness is from the sun because it may offer sun protection.

I don't know if you and your mom have quarreled about your use of makeup, but if not, I think asking to see a dermatologist shows maturity. Try writing down the reasons you want to go, make a list of what you've observed about your own skin, and maybe even print out some information on makeup and sensitive skin. Most women wear makeup at some point and going to the doctor shouldn't mean that makeup is banished. You could actually learn valuable information about what to look for in products you buy. The fact that you're having issues with your skin at this age comes from a lot of the developing you're doing, and your skin will act differently now than it did as a child--with or without makeup.

If you're nervous about starting the conversation, you can also try asking your mom about what has or hasn't worked for her. It can make you more comfortable talking about these personal issues, and you might learn something about your skin that really benefits you. At the end of the day, most moms want their children to talk to them. If the dermatologist isn't an option, you could bring up the subject at your next physical as well.

Well, girls, I obviously don't understand this one. Good luck anyways! If I had my bet though, I'd say you're probably both gorgeous and just a little too over-worried. Which is totally natural! A lot of us worry about the way we look, but often in reality, we look just fine to others.

Edited by Alex Urig

So right now, my family is a little tight on money due to "unforseen circumstances", but I really want to know what's wrong with my skin. Every time a commercial for any kind of face wash comes up, I always talk about my face to my mom. She always responds with " Well, your face seems to be under control..."... UMM. IT'S NOT. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuper red in the T-zone area. Zits= not a problem, clogged pores= problem, redness= HUMUNGO problem. When I was younger, I used to hate my freckles. Now, I'm lucky if my face lets me see my freckles, all the redness is covering them up. I love my freckles, I just wish I could see them... AGH. I just don't want to get in a fight over my face... Seems so stupid.