Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Austin86

Derm Starting Me On 80Mg A Day?

Hi, I am starting accutane and the derm I went to was very non chalant about prescribing it. I did tell him about how I'd tried many different anti-biotics and nothing worked (except bactim but acne returns stronger when off).

Anyway he wrote me a prescription for it and I had two boxes the same day. I am pretty skinny for my height about 155lbs 6'3, and he prescribed two 40mg pills a day. Should I start off just taking one 40mg a day and wait to see how my body reacts, because most posts I see have a gradual increase in amount. Also I was planning on taking fish oil and glutamine while on accutane is this ok?

Any advice appreciated,

jb

I would either take what the derm prescribed you, or, if you're concerned about it, call him and share your worries.

It's hard to tell what correct dosages are because we don't know you/your medical history... oh yeah, and we're not doctors :)

Good luck!

I have been on 80 mg/day on both of my Accutane rounds. I started off at 80 and finished at 80 without any increases throughout. I was about 145 lbs the first time and 160 lbs this time. I asked my dermatologist if my dosage would go up since I gained weight, but she said that they typically start prescribing a higher dosage at around 220 lbs.

Like Dani said, we don't know your medical history, so we don't really know if you've had any issues with cholesterol and such, but if your blood tests were great, your derm was likely confident enough to go straight to 80mg. smile.png I wouldn't worry too much. Just be aware that you might experience an initial breakout starting at that dosage, you just need to push through it.

Taking fish oil is fine but make sure the capsules or oil you're taking doesn't have vitamin A in it (avoid cod liver oil especially). From what I have seen, most of them are okay, just have a peek at the nutritional info before you buy a jar/bottle. smile.png

Edited by Gutterflower

I have been on 80 mg/day on both of my Accutane rounds. I started off at 80 and finished at 80 without any increases throughout. I was about 145 lbs the first time and 160 lbs this time. I asked my dermatologist if my dosage would go up since I gained weight, but she said that they typically start prescribing a higher dosage at around 220 lbs.

What were the side effects like? When I took accutane I never went above 60mg and I'm about 185 pounds and my skin could barely handle that! You must be pretty tough haha.

Mostly just drier skin and really badly chapped lips. I think I had one or two nosebleeds on the first round and rashing on my hands a time or two. Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary!

I nearly started at 80mg too. Spent two weeks at 40, then up to 80. Pretty quick in the world of accutane (I'm 165), so fairly consistent with others here. Normal side effects here too - nothing any more than anyone at 40 or 60 seems to report.