Bananna chips

Brown rice

Rice cakes

Sweet potatoes

Meat from a normal grocery store

Agave nectar

Raw Food deserts/cookies

Nuts/seeds

Cooking spices: Tumeric, paprika, cumin, ginger paste, coriander powder, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper.

I want to eat them but, I'm scared I will breakout. I want to enjoy food but, feel like everything that tastes good will break me out. I know if I only eat raw fruits and vegetables for 2 months straight I will be 100% clear but, I wouldn't be able to enjoy food (which is an important part of life.) and the raw vegan diet is obviously unhealthy because I need meat.

Edited by milkmilk1

Honestly, stressing yourself out about diet won't be helpful to you. It's also not fun to live a life afraid of food.

Reevaluate how you perceive acne. It's not a disease designed to make your life hell, it's there to HELP you. Believe it or not, it's like your best friend who will always be honest with you about anything, even if their opinion is a negative one.

So don't stress out so much!

Personally, I find it to be kind of a fun experiment. It's like every meal is kind of exciting to see whether it really breaks me out or not. It's also exciting cutting out stuff from my diet that is blatantly unhealthy.

Yeah, some things will make you break out. Who cares? The only one who really really truly cares is yourself. And when you stop caring so much about how you look and truly accept the fact that acne happens, you can live a fulfilling life with or without acne.

Also, I would stop reading everybody else's posts about what's good for you, and what isn't and stick to the FAQ sort of threads (like the sticky threads at the top or anything alternativista posts haha!)

I've read posts from people eating the foods on your list that have had both good and bad effects. So it's obvious diets are individualized. So let yourself experiment. Let go, and have fun with it.

Hope this is helpful and not even more confusing :)

Most of these foods should be fine for acne unless you have a specific allergy or something (except for the potatoes and baked goods and maybe some of the spices; those are debatable because of the starch/gluten/artificial preservative content). Of course, you could always avoid them - and then probably start breaking out from all the stress/misery you'll feel from staying away from them all the time.

Edited by hotburrito

Thanks for helping me look at it in a new light. I am kinda thinking of going to the topical route instead of dieting/holistic because acne diets are EXTREMLY hard to do for an extended amount of time, it will clear you but it is very stressful to not have food you crave. And the worst part is when you haven't had anything good tasting to eat, you crave the worst food possible. Like right now I might just give up and eat a kit kat bar :/

I also don't think there is a specific "acne diet". I think just eating "healthy", drinking plenty of water, and avoiding wheat will do you just fine.

Try not to stress about it as it only makes the acne worse in the long run.

Break me off a piece of that kit-kat car :)

-M

Thanks for helping me look at it in a new light. I am kinda thinking of going to the topical route instead of dieting/holistic because acne diets are EXTREMLY hard to do for an extended amount of time, it will clear you but it is very stressful to not have food you crave. And the worst part is when you haven't had anything good tasting to eat, you crave the worst food possible. Like right now I might just give up and eat a kit kat bar :/

Have you taken a look at the grocery lists thread?

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/286638-post-your-shopping-lists/

There's a huge amount of things you can still eat. It's not hard to stay on a 'diet'. I think the word just scares people into thinking its something its not.

Yes, it may take some trial and error, and yes, it may take some time...but in the long run, it's better for your skin than slathering on chemicals.

Though, I think using topicals to keep acne under control WHILE you're finding foods that work for you is a smart idea. That's what I'm doing. It'll take off some of the pressure.

Your cravings will be temporary. If you're really having a healthy, wholesome diet, I find cravings for crappy food go way down the gutter. Personal experience though.

Just keep remember, acne is not there to screw you over...it's there to let you know when you have to pay attention to what your body is saying!

I'm scared to eat these things:

Potatoes - once in a blue moon

Raisins - fine

Raw honey - completely fine as long as you're not eating it by the spoonful like candy

Cooked vegetables - cooked is fine. overcooked is not.

Dried fruit: figs - Dried fruits in general are mediocre, but fine once in a while. Better if it's made in a dehydrator.

Dried mangoes - Same as figs

Ghee (clarified butte) - completely fine

Bananna chips - those dried kind you mean? It's not the healthiest food, but fine to have as a snack.

Brown rice - fine

Rice cakes - I doubt "rice" is the only ingredient.

Sweet potatoes - fine

Meat from a normal grocery store - I'd stay away from it, but if you're doing everything else correctly, you can get away with eating non-organic grain-fed meat.

Agave nectar - depending on who you ask, it doesn't spike blood sugar as much as regular white sugar, so it's slightly better. Still nutritionally useless otherwise. Get Stevia.

Raw Food deserts/cookies - How do you make raw cookies? Cookies are cooked.

Nuts/seeds - fine unless you have an intolerance or allergy.

Cooking spices: Tumeric, paprika, cumin, ginger paste, coriander powder, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper. - fine

I want to eat them but, I'm scared I will breakout. I want to enjoy food but, feel like everything that tastes good will break me out. I know if I only eat raw fruits and vegetables for 2 months straight I will be 100% clear but, I wouldn't be able to enjoy food (which is an important part of life.) and the raw vegan diet is obviously unhealthy because I need meat.

How did you come up with that list? There are some you should avoid and some that are wonderful foods few people need to avoid. Add the sweet potatoes and other vegetables and those spices back to your diet now. The dried fruit and honey are issues only in their glycemic impact so it depends on how, with what other foods and how much of them you have.

It is possible to be allergic to them, but it's not common with any of those fruits and veggies (depending on the veggie as you didn't name them. It's common to be intolerant to nightshades veggies for example). You should try adding them one by one and in the case of the high GI foods, have only a small amount at a time and/or have with other low GI foods.

It is common to be intolerant to many nuts, seeds and legumes, so add those very carefully and methodically

Never add the Agave Nectar and I don't know why you'd even want the rice cakes. ???

Have you taken a look at the grocery lists thread?

http://www.acne.org/...shopping-lists/

There's a huge amount of things you can still eat. It's not hard to stay on a 'diet'. I think the word just scares people into thinking its something its not.

Yes, it may take some trial and error, and yes, it may take some time...but in the long run, it's better for your skin than slathering on chemicals.

Though, I think using topicals to keep acne under control WHILE you're finding foods that work for you is a smart idea. That's what I'm doing. It'll take off some of the pressure.

Your cravings will be temporary. If you're really having a healthy, wholesome diet, I find cravings for crappy food go way down the gutter. Personal experience though.

Just keep remember, acne is not there to screw you over...it's there to let you know when you have to pay attention to what your body is saying!

thats true. I havent eaten bread or cheese probably in like over a year and dont want it. I just have cravings for chocolate sometimes.

Oh and only avoiding wheat will NOT work for me, i have to avoid dairy, grains, natural sweetners, and sooo much more. I'm extremely sensitive to certain types of food, more than others...It's not as simple as just "eating healthy"

How come it says watermelons have a high GI, i NEVER breakout from watermelons. What are nightshade vegetables btw?

I know for sure if i eat alot of nuts i will breakout. I can only have a small amount a day.

I ate that kit kat bar, and reces, and twix bars but, i havent noticed any new breakouts from eating it.. and i havent eaten those things since i was like 8 yrs old :o