Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
erikd0ubleE

Problem With Bp. Does It Negatively Affect Your Appearance On The Non-Acne Front?

Hello everyone! I want to thank you in advance for reading this, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Okay so I've been concerned lately with the effects BP has on my skin. It's undoubtedly great at keeping acne at bay if used consistently, but I'm worried that the scars and other undesirable things on my face are more noticeable because of it. My Dad mentioned my face looked like it needed color the other day and I wondered if that had something to do with the BP. Another example, in pics at parties where I am drunk, my skin looks really dry, making my scars and stuff more apparent. My face isn't really dry at all. I always use lotion after the BP, but I'm worried that since I've been using BP for so long that it's having some underlying effect on my skin. Do any of you have this problem? I want to attribute BP as the cause. Doesn't alcohol have a certain effect on the skin? Combined with the drying and harshness of BP could this lead to problems?

Pro Active really does a good job at advertising because they say not only will the product help with acne, it will leave your skin glowing and radiant, etc. I have mild to moderate acne with moderate scarring. I am more concerned presently on how I can make my face look fresh and radiant overall, so I am reconsidering using BP. Do any of you recommend any tricks on giving off that glow some people have??? And do you guys think BP isn't the way to go for me since I deal with mild acne from time to time but really am more concerned with having a fresh appearance. Any recommendations on regimens that fight acne AND give off a glow?

THANKS FOR TIME! :)

~ Erik

May be, may not be.

I'm using the minimum amount of BP for 3,5 months now without increasing anything and I don't get any new pimples but my face is still red. Like, the whole face is red.

That's what I would call the opposite of "needing color". It's just different for everyone but some people have reported that BP makes their face look dull, so yes, that could be from it.

hi, I can tell you about my experiences with bp. First, I dont use the reocmmended amount, 3 pumps is too much for me. I only use one but make sure to distribute it evenly. Then I put on the moisturiser before the bp is dry, not recommended but it somehow gets less dry that way.

Second, Dans bp is great for acne but I find its more drying. If you can just buy the 4oz treatment from proactive its less drying(I dont use the whole kit). Or even, maybe the Acne Free one if you want to get it in stores.

For the first few months my skin was on the dry side but really, I have gotten used to it. Some people are more sensitive than others. I dont notice anymore red marks but then, I am not getting much acne lately at all.

A

You have a very on-spot intuition. BP is one of the worst chemicals anyone could ever put on their skin. The same goes for any peroxide. Once the peroxide is applied to the skin, it releases free-radicals. The effect of this is analogous to a sun burn from unprotected sun exposure. Not only are you damaging your skin cells, you are also promoting cancer causing agents to accumulate on your skin. You can find more information online, or at these specific sources: http://www.highonhea...reat-your-acne/ ; http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16753842 ; http://www.absolutea...benzoyl-15.html

As I write this, I am actually wearing a natural, raw, organic, Manuka Honey/Turmeric facial (with UMF Rating 12+). cool.png I only started staying away from harsh chemicals about a week ago, and already I see my inflammation waning and my skin positively glowing! I believe that our skin is not meant to be a scientific experiment, not meant to be a study that later concludes that (woops) we're more likely to develop skin cancer. The more naturally/healthfully we treat our skin, the more naturally/healthfully our skin will react. wink.png

Edited by FallingAmidstTears

Thanks for your responses! The times that I have switched out of BP to other products have been jarring for my skin and so I naturally go back to it. I have tried using less like you guys but for some reason it doesn't seem to do the trick.

@FallingAmidstTears is your acne very mild? The natural products I've used in the past aren't too effective.

My acne is moderately severe but is definitely declining the more I use Tea Tree Oil. There have even been studies comparing Tea Tree Oil to BP, showing that the oil is slightly less effective than BP, but without the harsh side effects. It basically does the same job as BP. (Here is a good source to look into: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/teatreeoil/a/teatreeoilacne.htm) To boost Tea Tree Oil's effectiveness, I apply it multiple times throughout the day in varying dilutions. My skin is sensitive, yet responds positively (which is something new).

My signature shows how often I apply it; the results have been fantastic. I hope this works for you! smile.png

BP is fine...dont let anybody's fear mongering get to you.

Fallingamisdtears:Its great that you found an all natural way to cure youre acne! I've experimented with natural treatments A LOT in the past with terrible results, BP works like a charm for me.

Also...

You can find a million articles saying that it is safe, the following reference is from a super lazy two second google search lol. pubmed is full of them if you feel like doing the research.

Acne and Rosacea: Third Completely Revised and Updated Edition 2000:

Following application to the
, benzoyl peroxide is rapidly metabolized to benzoic acid, a harmless chemical. Extensive use in human beings has failed to demonstrate absorption. The drug is eminently safe.

Hello everyone! I want to thank you in advance for reading this, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Okay so I've been concerned lately with the effects BP has on my skin. It's undoubtedly great at keeping acne at bay if used consistently, but I'm worried that the scars and other undesirable things on my face are more noticeable because of it. My Dad mentioned my face looked like it needed color the other day and I wondered if that had something to do with the BP. Another example, in pics at parties where I am drunk, my skin looks really dry, making my scars and stuff more apparent. My face isn't really dry at all. I always use lotion after the BP, but I'm worried that since I've been using BP for so long that it's having some underlying effect on my skin. Do any of you have this problem? I want to attribute BP as the cause. Doesn't alcohol have a certain effect on the skin? Combined with the drying and harshness of BP could this lead to problems?

Pro Active really does a good job at advertising because they say not only will the product help with acne, it will leave your skin glowing and radiant, etc. I have mild to moderate acne with moderate scarring. I am more concerned presently on how I can make my face look fresh and radiant overall, so I am reconsidering using BP. Do any of you recommend any tricks on giving off that glow some people have??? And do you guys think BP isn't the way to go for me since I deal with mild acne from time to time but really am more concerned with having a fresh appearance. Any recommendations on regimens that fight acne AND give off a glow?

THANKS FOR TIME! smile.png

~ Erik

I find it funny that no one really answered his questions. BP is the underlining cause of the "lack" of color on the skin. BP is like a chemical induced sunburn if you will. It is taking layers off of the skin to promote new cell growth (that's why you have to have SPF when using it). If you want to think about it in a simpler way. It's thinning the layers of skin and it shows more of what's under. Which will be scarring and discoloration. This is very common of BP. If you want ways to fight it, I personally have found that drinking more water will hydrate my skin and bring back some natural color and give that "glow" that you're looking for. I also found that when I eat a lot of fruits that are high in Antioxidants, the color seemed to return more too. Finally, working out. It helps the blood flow and will help to "switch out" the blood in the face, which will bring back the color. I basically do those three things and it seems to make things just fine. And if you're drinking you can't really do much to fight that when it comes to pictures. Drinking will thin the blood and make things appear more in a red tone of color, which also brings up scarring for most people.

Good Luck Man!

p.s...ANYTHING in the world can be good or bad for you. All information is bias based on the person telling it.

Edited by Chococrit

Guest Timehealsall

scars as in indents or just discoloration? Did you get these only whilst on BP? if so, i suggest you stop

@chococrit thanks for your post. Are you using BP by any chance? I always tell myself to drink a ton of water a day and I'll do it for about 3 or 4 days but then stop. Same thing with working out, so hard to be consistent! Anyway, do you have any suggestions on something that is effective yet less harsh? Let me know!

@timehealsall Both, but I honestly couldn't say. I feel like they are noticeable all the time. Just recently I looked at some pictures and thought that BP might have something to do with it!

BP is fine...dont let anybody's fear mongering get to you.

This.

BP is by far the most researched and most used treatment. And scarring is a result of acne, not BP. So the best way to prevent it, is to prevent acne from forming in the first place. If you're looking for alternative treatments, tea tree oil (study abstract 1 / study abstract 2), niacinamide gel (study abstract) manuka oil or honey (article) and azelaic acid may be good candidates (and even more that don't come to mind right now). However, if you had success with BP before, I'd go for it again, and not experiment with all kinds of treatments that may have helped others. Since your acne is mild, you don't have to use a lot of it. Just add a good moisturizer. And here's some info about alcohol and acne: http://www.acne.org/...l-and-acne.html. Also, getting enough sleep (not too little, but not too much either) is very important. 2 studies, showing exactly that (these are not about acne specifically, but they show that loss of sleep increases inflammation and insulin resistance, things you don’t want as an acne sufferer):

http://www.universit...ws/article/8509

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15851636

This is from WIllow: I thought it was very applicable:

The safety of Benzoyl Peroxide is periodically brought up by board members as an area of concern. Questions about whether it may increase skin cancer risk or cause DNA damage (and thus damage or accelarate the aging the skin) are the most common concerns. Given those concerns, I thought this information from the FDA was important to share with the messageboard members.

The FDA has updated its safety classification of Benzoyl Peroxide to a Category I (Safe and Effective). In 1991, the classification was listed as a type III, which meant that more data was needed before the FDA could determine the actual safety classification (it was never considered to be "unsafe" though). The body of the research conducted since that time has lead the FDA to change the classification to a safe and effective. I have the full article from the Federal Registry, for those who are interested in reading more details. I plan to post it in another thread. The abstract is below, and I highlighted a few points from the article as well.

Classification of Benzoyl Peroxide as Safe and Effective and Revision of Labeling to Drug Facts Format; Topical Acne Drug Products for Over-The-Counter Human Use; Final Rule

AGENCY: Food and Drug Administration,HHS.

ACTION: Final rule.

SUMMARY: We, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), are issuing this final rule to include benzoyl peroxide as a generally recognized as safe and effective (GRASE) active ingredient in over-the-counter (OTC) topical acne drug products. In addition, this final rule includes new warnings and directions required for OTC acne drug products containing benzoyl peroxide. We are also revising labeling for OTC topical acne drug products containing resorcinol, resorcinol monoacetate, salicylic acid and/or sulfur to meet OTC drug labeling content and format

requirements in a certain FDA regulation. This final rule is part of our ongoing review of OTC drug products and represents our conclusions on benzoyl peroxide in OTC acne drug products.

Additional points of interest:

-They did not find BPO to be a genotoxic substance, which basically means they do not believe that it damages DNA. They go on to add that even though BPO has been shown in research to create oxidative damage, that in humans, there are oxidative repair mechanisms that would likely prevent benzoyl peroxide from causing DNA damage.

-They did not find BPO to be carcinogenic. They state: "We have reviewed a number of animal studies examining the carcinogenic potential of benzoyl peroxide and conclude that benzoyl peroxide is not a carcinogen." They also determined that there was no evidence to indicate that BPO is a photocarcinogen.

They are requiring an update to the warning labels on BPO products as well. Any OTC products that contain BPO will need to have the following warnings on the label:

• Avoiding unnecessary sun exposure

• Not using on very sensitive skin

• Keeping away from the eyes, lips, and mouth

• Cautioning that benzoyl peroxide may bleach hair or dye fabric

They will also require a direction for drug products containing benzoyl

peroxide to use a sunscreen when going outside.

I have done more research on what information the FDA has to offer on this topic, and yes, they claim it is safe only if used in 2.5 to 10% dilutions. However, a few more years may weaken this conclusion, as the scientific community is always experimenting and consequently shifting their viewpoint. With this in mind, I would recommend that you take any information given that is derived from scientific experimentation with a grain of salt. wink.png

Just putting in my 2 cents..

BP does make your acne scars more noticeable. That's just part of the BP. However, using AHA+ in conjunction with the Regimen can help balance that out and help get rid of your scars a little faster. It also helps with the dry look - I know exactly what you mean by that, my husband used to tell me my skin looked super dry even though when I touched it, it definitely wasn't dry. It was very weird.

I solved that by cutting back my BP by 1/2 once I was clear and continuing to use the full amount of AHA+ during my night-time treatment. I've been using 1/2 dose BP for about 2 weeks now and so far I've only had 2 tiny whiteheads on my chin that disappeared in 1 day, and they were so small you could only tell what they were if you were right next to me. So that worked out well.

This is just my experience recently.