Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InAStateOfHopefulness

What's The Liklihood Of Accutane Failing?

I very recently started taking this. I know that medication takes time. I've been on other acne medication, but my acne is persistent. Every time I see my face I feel so ugly and hopeless. The thing I most want in life is clear skin. I just really want this to work. If it doesn't... it'll literally destroy me.

Accutane has a very high success rate. I've read somewhere that statistically you have an 80+% chance of being cured of your acne permanently, although this is still debated and it's difficult to find a solid figure. It definitely has the highest success rate out of all other medications for persistent acne. It's easy to lose hope after trying so many different things to get rid of acne and having it for so long but you just have to try and keep strong and be optimistic (which is easier said than done). I tried different acne treatments for 4 years and none had an effect at all until accutane, so for me it is the Holy Grail of treatments, and hopefully when you begin to see daily, weekly and monthly improvements your confidence will return. Good luck with your course smile.png

Edited by Renn17

odds in your favor its gone for good. if it does come back tho it wont be as bad as before. for me that means if it came back it wouildnt be enough for me to do another course if just deal with it.

Accutane has a very high success rate. I've read somewhere that statistically you have an 80+% chance of being cured of your acne permanently, although this is still debated and it's difficult to find a solid figure. It definitely has the highest success rate out of all other medications for persistent acne. It's easy to lose hope after trying so many different things to get rid of acne and having it for so long but you just have to try and keep strong and be optimistic (which is easier said than done). I tried different acne treatments for 4 years and none had an effect at all until accutane, so for me it is the Holy Grail of treatments, and hopefully when you begin to see daily, weekly and monthly improvements your confidence will return. Good luck with your course smile.png

Thank you so much for the reassurance. My acne is just constantly getting me down. The only time I feel attractive is when its covered up, but even then it still makes me sad :(!

I've only been on it for a week. I know it takes a while to work, but it needs to hurry and up and work RIGHT NOW :P.

odds in your favor its gone for good. if it does come back tho it wont be as bad as before. for me that means if it came back it wouildnt be enough for me to do another course if just deal with it.

Well I really hope it doesn't come back. Even if it is minor :(.

It's hard to tell because most studies I've seen don't track remission over 5-10 years. You'll also hear mixed results on this board. That said, I thought it was very effective. It cleared me for about 5 years. The side effects suck though.

My dermatologist said that it can take multiple treatments.

One of the office assistance said that she has had three treatments over the last 6 years.

It has been three years since her last treatment and she has not had any breakouts.

I was only clear for 6 months...it's now back, but I am reluctant to do it again at my child bearing age of 25, and what's the point if it won't clear me permanently??

As others said, studies show that 80% of people will remain clear the first round though. And for the 20% where it didnt work the first time though, 80% of those that repeat will be clear after a second round.

So you have an 80% chance of success with one treatment, and 96% success rate after a second round.

I was only clear for 6 months...it's now back, but I am reluctant to do it again at my child bearing age of 25, and what's the point if it won't clear me permanently??

As others said, studies show that 80% of people will remain clear the first round though. And for the 20% where it didnt work the first time though, 80% of those that repeat will be clear after a second round.

So you have an 80% chance of success with one treatment, and 96% success rate after a second round.

This is reassuring...and I intend to be one of the 96% this time!