Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FaceValues

What's The General Consensus Of Canola Oil?

I usually opt for things without canola oil listed in the ingredients but am wondering if it may be a good addition to the olive and coconut oils I use for cooking because of it's omega-3 content. It would be used sparingly just like olive oil and I don't really see why it would be bad now that I'm reading about omega 3's. I guess I always said no to it on a hunch. Thoughts?

Depends how much you like cancer, diabetes, IBD and the like? ALL poly unsaturated fats in the diet should be limited as much as possible... use butter, tallow, lard or coconut.

[EDIT]

Fun fact: Canola was a name made up for a plant because its actual name sounds a little scary: Rapeseed

Edited by moonbase

Lard and tallow can be purchased from a butcher that renders fat (fairly common). if you can find a butcher that stocks grass fed/finished meat - even better! The price will be pretty low, you may have to buy 10lb's at once but it'll be super cheap as the fat is made from trimming that would normally be thrown away. If you have no luck, contact your local weston a price chapter.

[EDIT]

Fun Fact #2: Lard and Tallow were what used to be "shortening" before the seed oil industry took hold of the regulatory agencies and convinced the public it was healthier to eat hydrogenated vegetable oil... oh and I should mention they got unbelievable rich off selling worthless seed oils..

Edited by moonbase

Ooooh Moonbase I think you should start a Fun Fact thread... smile.png

Corgi I order my beef lard from grasslandbeef.com, they are a great resource for grass-fed/pastured meats.

Oh yeah, and have you ever watched the documentary Food, Inc? It's a great start... it's available on Netflix instant watch if you have that.

Edited by spectacled_owl

I started Food Inc and turned it off when the chickens were getting their throats sliced conveyor style, I'll finish it sometime I was just sick of being told why food in America sucks when I already know it does. I checked out that website when you posted it elsewhere and it seemed ridiculously expensive, as did my local farm in San Francisco. Haven't looked into lard or tallow though.

After shopping around, I found US Wellness to be fairly priced, especially for the quality. Once you order they send you discounts too. My next order will have 15% off for instance. They have minimum order requirements though, so I always stock up and place my orders about every 6 weeks or longer. I stick to less expensive items or items that are hard for me to find elsewhere, like pemmican, lard and bacon.

That stinks your local farm is expensive! The one I go to is a real gem... I found them by accident too. I was looking for somewhere to get pastured eggs, they don't even advertise that they have meat. You should have seen my face when I saw the freezer stocked outside! w00t.gif Total O face.

Edited by spectacled_owl

I stick to less expensive items or items that are hard for me to find elsewhere, like pemmican, lard and bacon.

Always wanted to try pemmican... heard it tastes pretty odd.

I stick to less expensive items or items that are hard for me to find elsewhere, like pemmican, lard and bacon.

Always wanted to try pemmican... heard it tastes pretty odd.

I don't think it's the taste so much as the texture that is odd. It's just so.... creamy. The plain pemmican (no honey or cherries) tastes like beef stew. Like a beef stew candy bar. (How I wish people gave those out for Halloween). The pemmican with honey and cherries is a little different... doesn't really taste like honey and cherries but it is a bit sweeter. I prefer the plain with just lard, jerky and salt. They are good I think, kind of addicting actually. I was hooked after finishing my first bar.

My boss officially decided I was nuts when I started eating them at work.

Sounds interesting - I didn't expect creamy, but I guess with all the tallow.. i'll have to give it a go - one day i'll make an order from Us wellness - though it'll have to wait as my freezer is over loaded with animals.

adding to the made up part - It's short for CANada Oil Low Acid - the naturally occurring rapeseed is so acidic it's toxic - through selective crossbreeding they lowered the acid content to make it a viable human food. This process took years, a multitude of pesticides and artificial fertilizers, etc., etc. That it's allowed to be labeled 'organic' is a freaking joke.

That said, I sometimes consume it. I try not to let my code of ethics conflict with my junk food.

Edited by ayla