Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMaleRN

***** How Much Acne Has Changed Your Life?*****

Hey everyone! Hope you all are doing great today!

I didn't find any thread that talks about how much acne has changed someone's life.

Please share your experience on how much it changed your life so that we will all unite and help each other...

Cheers to life everyone!

God bless!

Acne had a negative impact on my self esteem.

Hated going out to school/work/store because the attention it got.

Always thought it was the reason i got rejected from girls. (really) I really thought so.

As for good. Hmmm, gained character of being cured acne within 18 days on accutane. Never been so grateful in my life man. People I've met at school while on my initial breakout probably noticed my acnes gone. I can go on my day without having people stare at me and think of me as the "adult with acne"

Life changing from - to ++++++

To add: once I'm done my 5 months I can do a series of chemical peels to rid of some scarring. smile.png Like 4 months from now.

Edited by Howard2011Accutane

Always thought it was the reason i got rejected from girls. (really) I really thought so.

As for good. Hmmm, gained character of being having cured acne within 18 days on accutane. Never been so grateful in my life man. People I've met at school while on my initial breakout probably noticed my acnes gone. I can go on my day without having people stare at me and think of me as the "adult with acne"

To add: once I'm done my 5 months I can do a series of chemical peels to rid of some scarring. smile.png Like 4 months from now.

Two things...

18 days? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? That's awesome- Good for you! I'm on my second month and still waiting but I think that this is the norm. (I've read clearing usually becomes apparent in month 3)

Also, just FYI- No chemical peels until 6 mo after you fininsh Accutane... but I am right there with you- When I am done I would like to do something for my scarring as well! cool.png

Dani

Well, I've been on this website for over four years, and for the past few months I've been clear. This website has given me more than I could ever have imagined. For starters I have learned about skin care in a way I never thought possible before I stumbled upon this site years ago for tea tree oil information...and I've made great friends from this site, gotten the opportunity to become a moderator and help others who are struggling or may have questions. But even beyond that, I found the love of my life. And we went on an unforgettable month long roadtrip last summer and met several other members of this site and...this site has given me so much I cannot even describe it really.

Acne was a terribly small price to pay for such joy. =)

Straight to the point: Acne has changed my life more than I could ever have imagined, simply because I wasn't strong enough to carry on regardless and, up to this point at least, I allowed acne to ruin it. That being said, with any luck, life is far from over yet...

Edited by PaulH85

With out doubt Acne has made me a better person and also more sensitive towards other people.

In the long run I see acne as a good things as it has also lead me to a healthy lifestyle.

Yes it did give me low self esteem and was really hard to deal with, but the grass is always greener on the other side.

Acne.org has also played a massive part, this site has the potential to clear everybody, it just takes time to get the right regime for you.

Guest DellHell

Turned me into an insecure wreck. I used to be so confidant and outgoing. The weirdest thing about my acne is it was at its worst between the ages of 20 and 22 so that's quite late. Then it got a whole lot better but now I've fucked up my nose with blackheads and scarring so I'm back to my old depressed self. There really aren't any positives I've had out of having this bullshit.

Before I had acne I was never a dick to people anyway and I didn't care what peoples' skin looked like. I never even noticed. Hell it was only after my acne got bad that I started noticing peoples' complexions 'cause I was always comparing mine to theirs. Proof of this is how once I was looking through some old Facebook pictures when my acne was bad (years ago) and I noticed that some of my friends used to have pretty crappy acne just from the pictures I was looking through. I never noticed that at all back when I was hanging out with them and my skin was good so that's proof that I really didn't care about other peoples' skin before. We can take some positivity out of this though in that it's therefore more than likely that other people don't really care or notice how your skin looks.

Edited by DellHell

As for good. Hmmm, gained character of being having cured acne within 18 days on accutane. Never been so grateful in my life man. People I've met at school while on my initial breakout probably noticed my acnes gone. I can go on my day without having people stare at me and think of me as the "adult with acne"

Two things...

18 days? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? That's awesome- Good for you! I'm on my second month and still waiting but I think that this is the norm. (I've read clearing usually becomes apparent in month 3)

Also, just FYI- No chemical peels until 6 mo after you fininsh Accutane... but I am right there with you- When I am done I would like to do something for my scarring as well! cool.png

Dani

Doctor put me on 40 mg for 7 days, then 80 mg after that til now. Not kidding. The pimples were literally just oozing out 8-10 days in. Then all started crusting and scabbing up day 14-16. Then had new skin on day 18. Then day 21 I was literally glowing.

I did believe though that the medication was gonna work within a month.

Well. I have a really low self esteem. I have never had a boyfriend in my whole life. I am currently 18. I can't look at people in the eye. I don't go out. My acne is severe so I prefer staying indoors anyway because the sun is painful. It has took over my life. I find it hard to concentrate at school. I hope that I will grow out of it soon. :'(

Ohh, what a thrad!!!

So..let's see, how does acne change my life.

I got cystic acne at age of 18.5. Since that I am..

1. Paranoid about my overall look, mirrors, food I eat, public speeches and public places

2. It decreased my self-esteem and stole my confidence.

3. Made me depressed

4. I isolated myself from friends

5. I don't get attention from guys anymore,because of my ugly looking skin and extremely low self-esttem

6. Acne makes us really prone to be bullied or humiliated by mean people.

7. Beacuse of acne I reufed so many invitaions to pool,beach or sleepovers, beacuse I knew it won't let me enjoy my time.

8. Acne makes me take tons of meds, which have side effects, and who knows how my body will react on them in the future.

My list goes on and on. Acne basically ruined my life. I wish I could be 15-17 years old again :(((

Although my acne is mostly gone now, I still think about it everyday. I still get a pimple every once in a while and, until it is completely gone, I become obsessed over it. Any little tiny obstructed pore (which sometimes I am probably just imagining) can change my mood. I am so critical towards my skin that sometimes it disturbs my work. I look at my face in the mirror lots of times during the day, etc...

On the other hand, like some people already said, I became more sensitive and compreensive regarding other people's complexions. I have a much healthier diet now and I am in a great shape.

I just really wish I could stop thinking about acne all the time.

Acne has so far had a very negative impact on me, but I'm beginning to see the positives as well. Everybody without acne looks at me like crazy when I tell them that developing acne virtually overnight is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my life, but I now have a newfound sympathy for people who go through emotional turmoil - especially the type of emotional turmoil that other non-sufferers would typically denote as "inconsequential." I'm also significantly less shallow than I used to be, which is something that I'd been working on improving for a while... but boy has this acne been a pretty wicked catalyst for that particular learning curve.

I think that acne has forced me to take a good hard look at myself. I don't think I ever really saw how "easy" I had it before... yet at the same time, how much of my self-esteem I based on my looks/social status. I don't think I will ever go back to being that confident, carefree girl that I was before, and to be honest I'm probably saddest about that after all: ignorance is bliss, as they say. I suppose the consolation prize is that I'm at least a better person than I used to, which I'm sure is something that will come in handy for the longer run.

self esteem ruined gone, have severe depression, i do random acts of insanity to ease my mind, no boyfriend, no one wants to have sex with me, jealousy of fat people for their skin, jealousy of asian people for their skin, mentality is messed up, im pessimistic now, im always frustrated and hate everything, people tell me i "sit and stare blankly with no emotion", because i do since my depression is severe. SCARS that are left behind are the only reason i hate acne, lost desire to eat, lost desire to live, lost desire to learn. I feel lonly everyday, i stopped contacting friends, now i officially have zero friends, there are a few guys contacting me but I know for a fact that if they saw me bare naked, when i wake up in the morning in broad daylight..they would never speak to me ever again.

My life has gon downhill because of acne. my life basically sucks and i cry everyday and am living in sadness everyday with no love or compassion.

Acne has so far had a very negative impact on me, but I'm beginning to see the positives as well. Everybody without acne looks at me like crazy when I tell them that developing acne virtually overnight is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my life, but I now have a newfound sympathy for people who go through emotional turmoil - especially the type of emotional turmoil that other non-sufferers would typically denote as "inconsequential." I'm also significantly less shallow than I used to be, which is something that I'd been working on improving for a while... but boy has this acne been a pretty wicked catalyst for that particular learning curve.

I think that acne has forced me to take a good hard look at myself. I don't think I ever really saw how "easy" I had it before... yet at the same time, how much of my self-esteem I based on my looks/social status. I don't think I will ever go back to being that confident, carefree girl that I was before, and to be honest I'm probably saddest about that after all: ignorance is bliss, as they say. I suppose the consolation prize is that I'm at least a better person than I used to, which I'm sure is something that will come in handy for the longer run.

^Unlikely, as the type of acne I have is technically pyoderma faciale and will therefore probably be gone for good in a couple of months from now, especially since I got on Accutane pretty quickly... though (admittedly) it will probably be years before the red/dark/scars marks completely fade. Like I said though, I don't expect to be the same confident and carefree person as before. I think acne will haunt me for as long as I live even though I probably won't suffer it for more than a few months.

Even if that weren't the case though, there seem to be a few members here who've had acne for many years and still manage to maintain a positive outlook on life, so it seems at least possible to simultaneously have acne for a long time and be a reasonably happy human being.

jealousy of fat people for their skin, jealousy of asian people for their skin,
Edited by hotburrito

^Unlikely, as the type of acne I have is technically pyoderma faciale and will therefore probably be gone for good in a couple of months from now, especially since I got on Accutane pretty quickly... though (admittedly) it will probably be years before the red/dark/scars marks completely fade. Like I said though, I don't expect to be the same confident and carefree person as before. I think acne will haunt me for as long as I live even though I probably won't suffer it for more than a few months.

Even if that weren't the case though, there seem to be a few members here who've had acne for many years and still manage to maintain a positive outlook on life, so it seems at least possible to simultaneously have acne for a long time and be a reasonably happy human being.

jealousy of fat people for their skin, jealousy of asian people for their skin,

As a (somewhat) chubby Asian person... there's nothing to be jealous of me for with regards to my skin tongue.png I've also seen tons of fat people with acne, and I think Asian people are actually more likely to develop acne than Caucasians in many cases.

Depression is a terrible thing. I'm actually going through one right now as well, though mine is (finally) starting to improve. Have you thought about going to see a counselor?

A councelor for what? you mean a therapist?

I have to disagree again..i live in a city where there are asians everywhere, most of them have perfect skin. It's very well known that most asians have flawless skin because if you type in google "why do asians have"...the 1st thing that pops up is "perfect skin", so I'm not the only one in this world noticing that most asians have perfect skin.

I think it has to do with what their ancestors ate and how they stay out of the sun etc.

Asians have thick, oily skin which is good for protection. As you can see I'm just ranting on about how jealous I am but, I do think I should see a councelor because when my parents ask me what's wrong I can't talk to them about it.

I guess everyone is affected by acne at different severities, and for some reason, it affected me terribly. Maybe because I've been dealing with skin issues since age 8 or so

^Yes, a therapist. They call them counselors here, I guess.

For the record, I was born in Asia, am ethnically Han Chinese, went to middle school there, and currently live in the most Asian-populated city in North America (Vancouver, BC). While a lot of Asians do have great skin, a lot of us don't, either. We're particularly prone to hyperpigmentation (I'm too lazy to cite anything unprompted, but I can link to a couple of clinical studies if you'd like), so we're also far from having perfect skin.

Good luck finding a therapist/counselor!

I'm sorry to hear you can't talk to your parents. Mine are supportive but ultimately unable to sympathize, so I understand. I like having this community because it makes me feel a little less crazy over being so torn up over acne, but it sounds to me like your issues go beyond mere psychological scarring from acne (not judging btw, mine do too). Having suffered through skin problems from age 8 sounds absolutely terrible :( Is there any hope of your derma finding a solution, do you think?

I dont go to a dermatologist, i have never seen one. I had cleared my acne once in my life, and it took about 3 months, it was when i became a raw vegan but, i went off the diet and my skin went crazy and got really bad. Then i used sunblock and makeup and my skin got worse.

Yeah is is sad, I remember always trying to cover up my skin with my jacket and my hair, I dropped out of gymnastics as a child because I had to wear a leatard that showed an embarassing skin problem. I don't have any childhood memories before age 8 so I basically have felt my skin was ugly ever since I can remember.

Yeah it's good there's a site like this because it's the only place i an vent exactly how i feel without people judging me (or looking at me.)

I'm glad there are other people that feel the same way as I do. It helps me alot to tell jokes of how bad my skin is sometimes, because ican laugh it off, sometimes my mom tells me "it's almost halloween so have an excuse to wear a mask." it sounds mean but, it helps me ease the pain to laugh about it.

well i do nt know why all the asians i see have perfect skin. I do notice in my college classes some asians with VERY terrible skin but when they have clear skin, it's GLOWING and perfect. I know not all of them have great skin and everyone is different but, it's a scientific fact that asians, mexicans, and african americans have thick skin, and thick skin get's damaged less easily.

If your acne is really persistent, then maybe going to see a derma would help. I don't know what type of acne you have, but if you're moderate or above you might be able to get Accutane, which seems to work for a lot of people (including me so far, though I'm only on my third week). Er, assuming you haven't considered this course of action already, of course.

I do think humour helps a lot as well! I joke about my acne a lot to my friends too - it feels good to take it a little less seriously, I think. I've made the same Halloween mask joke about my own face, so I can see where your mom is coming from. Though I guess sometimes you have to remember not to be your own biggest bully/mocker either, because the world is tough enough without you beating yourself up at the same time, y'know?

I agree that it seems very either/or with Asian people - you don't see many with mild acne. I used to have that glowing/perfect skin, which is why it was such a shock when the pyoderma attack hit. As for thick sin, that is true - but we also have one of the most sensitive skin types as well, very prone to scarring and red/dark marks.