Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
woah44

Can I Do Anything To Prevent Another Breakout?

I'm about 5 days into Accutane and have now just started to experience my lips and some areas of my face becoming dry. I had about a 6 month period over the summer that I experienced practically no acne because I was on antibiotics, but I think my derm left me on it for way too long. I've had 2 huge breakouts right after I stopped taking antibiotics. I got a lot of pimples from my first breakout, but none of them were cystic so I was very confident for about a week of being clear. A week later I felt a few bumps and it wasn't all that bad, but 3 days later they became very visible (cysts). It's been over a week now and some of them are still active.

Ok srry for the lame story. The reason I'm so stressed out at the moment is because I am still breakout out with multiple underground pimples at a time, and I'm not even sure if this is the initial breakout from Accutane since I've only been on it for 5 days, so I'm sure the worst is yet to come. Saturday is a huge day for me, so would it be a bad idea to use anything like benzoyl peroxide or hydrogen peroxide to help clear some of my current acne and hopefully prevent upcoming breakouts?

You can't really prevent a breakout while on accutane, but the best thing for you would be not be stressed. The more you stress, the worse your acne will be. So just stop worrying and wait a few weeks for the magic to happen =)

My derm prescribed me an oral steriod called prednisole that I have to use for the first few weeks to prevent the IB from ruining my face. Makes it less inflammed.

You are just going to have to perservere through the initial breakout. Mine lasted from week 2 - week 4. I now, however, can see huge improvements in my skin!

Be strong; the inital breakout means it's working!