Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shyboy6

What Kind Of Scars Do I Have And What Can I Do To Fix Them

Just joined, its my first post. I have had acne since my high school years, I am now 26 years old. Just recently I think I have my acne under control. But over the years I had a lot of scarring, I think almost all of my scars are pretty old 3years+. I think most of my scars are ice pick scars, although I am not 100% certain. I finally decided to do something about them. I went to a dermatologist and he said only a laser can reduce my scars. But I am very reluctant to spend 5k on something that only has a chance of success. Any suggestions on how to reduce their appearance, I understand they won't go away 100%. Also I have a lot of redness around my cheek area, is there anything that can help with that?

post-160285-0-93960700-1318820599_thumb.

post-160285-0-87921400-1318820607_thumb.

Dude..just laser it...and it doesnt all disappear right after laser...u have to wait a couple months for it to heal

and yea they r ice pick scars

Edited by Raiders

The quickest fix would be the laser treatment.

But in the mean time you can do a few things to help out. Drink a ton of water. You want your skin to be hydrated so that it will reduce the appearance of the scars. If the redness is caused by irritation then you might want to change or apply more moisturizer. I've found that a simple ice massage helps too. A lot of the products on the shelves are for hyper-pigmentation type scars, so try to stay away from those because it's just a waste of money. That's pretty much it. Hope it helps and Good Luck!

What's wrong with you people pushing for lasers so bad ?

The truth is:

Lasers in most cases don't work very well for acne scars, especially if they are ice picks.

They cost a lot of money and the healing time is long.

My advice is to look into tca cross and excision.

In this case I highly disadvice to do a laser treatment as the first step to treat your scars.

I spent a lot time reading through the forums last night. It seems like only a few people had great success with laser treatments, even then they went multiple times and are still seeking further treatment. Not sure if that something I want to do. Does anyone know of a good dermatologist in the bay area? I still have a few acne break outs here and there, so I am thinking first I need to completely clear my face of acne before I think about doing anything to the scars.

bro i used to have deep scars like those on my face but now its less viable. i made the scars less shallow by dermarolling. i really recommend dermarolling for about 5 months.then doing some tca cross on the scars. good luck